Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Hobbico FlyZone® Piper J-3 Cub RTF

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Hobbico FlyZone® Piper J-3 Cub RTF

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 10:04 PM
derek2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobbico FlyZone® Piper J-3 Cub RTF

You have to hold the throttle at full (up) for three-five seconds and then bring it back to zero throttle. Check the manual. If that doesn't work, you might have a bad esc. Also, check your wire connections. You could have a loose one.

Good luck
Old 04-08-2009, 11:18 PM
skybluesky

Tried it. Hmmm. The red light is on on the ESC. I might have to give Hobbico another call.

I'm using my Futaba 6EX...could there be some compatibility issue? I'm going to try reversing the channel and see what happens.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:21 PM
mad web tv scientist

[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif] derek, thanks for your posts! I enjoyed the one you did on your new kit thread also. I find your influence on modeling to be priceless. As you have done before when, for what ever reason, I just couldn't get the job done you rode in like the Lone Ranger and took care of business. Thanks again for your timely help and encouragement of our possible new club member.

Josh, WELCOME! I saw your post shortly after it was posted but I was so jammed up with other stuff that I just couldn't get a response composed until now. Since derek has covered all the important stuff I will just share some of my most recent fun with you and the Cub club.

Interestingly, the Cub was the second choice for my first sport scale model. I liked almost everything about the FZ Cub except for that outrageously heavy stock battery - I never used it except for driving the Cub around a parking lot. All that weight helped keep the plane nicely on the ground. What I really wanted was the dandy DR-1 Triplane. I am glad I waited till now to get one. The Cub was a far better choice for me at the time. I will probably be updating it at some point in the future. The mistake I made last summer during the frustratingly "thin" hot air performance I was flying in was my failure to try a higher pitch APC prop to compensate for the loss of aerodynamic efficiency in the hot weather. The problem is I am now sooooooo spoiled with all the beautiful horsepower and combat glory that I am enjoying with my fighters. So my battle scared Cub now continues its mission by hanging vertically in my garage to be enjoyed along with other planes and airplane boxes with neat pictures on them.

So, here we are now finally after six (6) sport scale airplanes later with a killer "Red Baron" Triplane ready for it's very first powered flight. Having experienced adventures with the Sopwith Camel and the Spad I am excitedly looking forward to the conquest of the sky with this new dandy little red plane that can pull straight up in preliminary tests in the house at HALF THROTTLE! OH, THE SUSPENSE!

I will do a post/thread on the Fokker after it is thoroughly test flown. Hopefully, all the mods and observations about the plane will prove to be useful. One thing I proved today with gliding tests is that these WWI flying machines can be made to hand glide about as well as a light LiPo equipped Cub as described last year on this thread. The secret is to replace that outrageously "draggy" eleven (11) inch prop, add some weight to the prop shaft along with a little foam rubber to protect the cowl, and presto, you have yourself a useful system for tuning control system deflection angles and checking airplane stability.

I have checked every detail. Every system is perfectly fine tuned. Nothing can possibly go wrong . . . go wrong . . . go wrong . . . go . . . .

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif]
[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:54 AM
skybluesky

Thanks for the welcome mad. Since I have to wait on the wing from Hobbico I've already ordered a brushless motor/esc combo and a 3s LiPo battery so weight should be less of an issue once I finally get the cub outside.

Good luck with the Fokker!
Old 04-11-2009, 10:04 PM
derek2005

Sounds like you are on your way to having a successful maiden than most of us. With the brushless, I will stress the importance once more of reinforcing the wing and tail surfaces with either CF or clear packing tape. I used tape and Mad used CF. I would have saved myself three crashed due to horizontal tail failures by doing this. I am a slow learner. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, that's quite nice, fool me three times...... well.... that is about what it takes to get me to use my head.

I wish you the best with your maiden!!! I just got my new Etana from Mountain Models maidened this week. It is always a thrilling experience to get a plane in the air the first time. Even more thrill when it touches down with a beautiful landing. Which, by the way the cub does well. I never had an issue landing that bird. Just getting airborn. Especially ROG. Hand launches are much easier. Just give a nice level hard toss with full power and hold it level for a while to gain speed before adding elevator.

Happy Flying!
Old 04-11-2009, 11:37 PM
skybluesky

I'll probably go the packing tape route as it's more accessible to me than CF Tow. How exactly did you apply it? On the front edges of the wing/tale surfaces? Or the whole wing/tale? Sorry if it's already posted somewhere in the thread...just can't seem to find it.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:30 PM
derek2005

I placed tape down the top and bottom of the wing chord (fattest part of the wing) all the way across the wing. You can also put some on the underside of the wing tips to avoid scrapes from poor take-offs/landings. I also taped the wing on the top and bottom above the fuse sides. The wing tends to snap off even with the fuse in a harsh landing. Last time I crashed, having this taped saved the wing. (to be totalled the next time out). Another point of stress is the area where the struts attach to the wing, so a little reinforcement here can help. On the horizontal stab. Run a piece of tape all the way from left to right of the stab. Top and bottom would work best. This is just to help keep it from folding under stress. I would also make sure the wire that connects the to sides of the elevator is secure. A little tape to keep that in place could be helpful. Keep an eye on that part of the structure. YOU DO NOT WANT TO LOSE ELEVATOR CONTROL. I might also add a piece of tape on each side of the rudder from top to bottom. The bottom of the rudder can bend easily due to flight stress or hangar rash.

I also liked to put some tape on the inside of my cowl. This is more for looks. I hate cracked cowls and this one breaks easily.

I hope this helps. These are only suggestions and others have their own ways of doing this. Also, keep some 5min epoxy on hand for repairs. If you take it with you to the field, a crash won't end your day. Also take clear tape. Only the worst crashes will end your day if you are prepared.

Have fun!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:05 AM
skybluesky

I hate to say it but I think I'm giving up on the Cub.

I don't mind a project with a hobby like this but right out of the box I've only had problems...

-Missing screws
-Broken wing
-ESC not compatible with any half decent radio gear
-Dead aileron servo (icing on the cake)

I only hope Hobbico/Tower can help me out...especially considering I already put packing tape on some surfaces.

I'll be hanging on to my 6EX radio and searching for another starter plane. Typically when making these purchases I do research. This was not the case here because I was so excited to finally make the leap into rc airplanes. Needless to say I've been looking at a hand full of different beginner planes. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I'm looking for...
-durability
-electronics compatibility
-preferably with ailerons
-ARF with servos or RTF.

I've been looking at the BeginAir http://parkflyers.com/html/rc_electr...__electri.html

and this Cessna: http://parkflyers.com/html/remote_co..._for_begi.html

I figure on either I could always just unplug the aileron servo for early flights. I do prefer the scale look of the Cessna but the BeginAir has a w/o radio gear option that looks tempting. I've read that neither of these should be for absolute beginners or beginners w/ someone training them. But I think I can manage.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:56 PM
derek2005

If I had to do it over again, I would have went with my first choice of plane. The Parkzone T-28 Trojan. For you, it comes as a PNP. Basically add your receiver and fly. Check our horizon hobby for this and other PNP planes. I also like the Corsair from Parkzone. Neither plane is exactly a beginners plane, but they are sturdy, easy to fix, and if you have a basic idea of how to fly and are courageous enough to give it a shot and possible crash, you will progress well and fly like a pro shortly. Parkzone and Horizon Hobby do a good job of backing their products and I have been pleased with them. Check out the huge forums for both of these planes on RCU.

I also like the Eflite Apprentice, although it is a little larger and I have not flown it. The Super Decathalon is also offered as a PNP, but it is only 3 channel.

Multiplex also offers some nice foamies for beginners. Check out www.multiplexusa.com

For my other cub club friends, here are some photos of my latest project.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79410.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1179921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71041.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1179922  
Old 04-14-2009, 12:11 AM
skybluesky

I ended up getting a Park Flyers Begin Air w/o radio gear.

Depending on what happens with Hobbico I might keep the Cub around for when I'm feeling more patient about the whole ordeal.

Love the interesting covering Derek. Once I get this flying thing down I can't wait to get a balsa kit. I've built a bunch of old Guillows kits. I just don't know if I could handle crashing something with that many hours in it. lol

So it looks like I'll have to venture out of this thread with the new plane on the way. I'll keep you all posted on my Hobbico situation.

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:59 AM
derek2005

Good luck with your new plane. If there isn't a thread to join, start a new one in the park flier and I will follow your progress.

The Etana I just built is from Mountain Models and was a dream to build. I built the plane in one week, working only an hour or so per night. The covering took three sessions of about an hour each. All in all, the plane took about 12 hours to build and finish. MM kits are awesome. They fit together like a 3d puzzle and take very little skill to build. Covering takes some practice, but is not too bad once you get the hand of it.

If you can build a Gillows stick and tissue plane, then you could build a MM kit. You get to the point where you understand that crashing is just part of the process. You learn to rebuild, repair, or start over. It is awesomely fun!

Best wishes!
Old 04-18-2009, 10:14 PM
skybluesky

Looks like I'll be keeping the Cub. It's not worth the hassle to send it back etc...

I did get my BeginAir which I'll probably be flying first. I'll update when I do finally get the cub air born though!
Old 04-19-2009, 02:10 AM
derek2005

Just be careful. You are entering dangerous territory. The silly grin you are about to have on your face after flying successfully may cause you to go deeper into the disease we call RC! It starts out innocent enough and then you end up with more than one OH WAIT that already happenedmore than two planes.

Seriously though, I wish you the best and I hope all goes well with your new plane.

If you are interested, I might be able to send you the ESC and servo from my cub. I am not using them, nor do I see myself using them. I would just ask you to pay shipping.

PM me if you are interested.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:15 PM
skybluesky

PM sent.

I realize this is just the tip of the iceberg. I had it bad with my ground based RC addiction in years past. Flying is what I always really wanted to get into so I can see pretty clearly where this is going. lo
Old 04-22-2009, 05:30 PM
skybluesky

I've got the motor already to install...

Although I'm not sure how I should mount it. I got this motor: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4709 It comes with it's own mount. I was thinking of getting rid of the cradle area where the motor rests on the stock mount and attaching the new motor mount to the remaining back plate of the original. That way it's mounted at the correct angle.

Anyone have any better suggestions?

The two mounts...

Old 04-22-2009, 06:21 PM
mad web tv scientist

sky, you and derek are too fast for me to keep up with, but here goes an attempt to see if I can help out a little. Love your enthusiasm. derek not only builds beautifully as is obvious in his pictures but he literally builds kits faster than I can "build" ARF airplanes. I did turn a WWI airplane into a sort of "kit" (?) today - pilot error due to too much wind and a wrong response to torque.

You have an interesting motor possibility for your Cub. Be sure you have sufficient down thrust and right thrust. A little extra down thrust than you think adequate is better for controllable take off and throttle up when you need to stretch your landing approach. The wind faked me out today. I added throttle too quickly as the ship was descending much too quickly on the downwind leg of my landing approach, torque rolled the plane and I splattered my Spad all over the soccer field.

I hope this helps you to not follow my poor example.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:32 PM
skybluesky

Thanks for the advice Mad!

I ended up cutting the cup area off the stock mount and bolting the mounting plate of the motor directly to it. I think I may just need to add a plywood spacer so that a little more shaft comes through the cowl.

This is an exciting turning point for me...this Cub is well on it's way to flying. I just need to finish up wiring the esc, changing out battery plugs and the final stage will be covering with cub yellow TowerKote. I've been looking into covering foam planes with similar low temp coverings. It looks so much better than the foam on it's own. Hopefully I can get that done NEATLY. I like this idea for reinforcing better than tape. I think I'm also going to add a CF spar and reinforce the the tail area with some CF rod as well.

I do plan on getting my BeginAir in the air before I even touch the cub though. lol Weather has been keeping me from getting out to the park.

I look forward to posting more very soon!

Old 04-24-2009, 05:17 PM
derek2005

skybluesky: Does this mean you do not need the servo? If so, I still need your address. Good luck with your mods, looks like they should work fine.

Mad: I don't actually build fast, the Mountain Models kits are just that easy. I would rather build one of those than put together an ARF. I am not anti ARF, but if I can build a kit in the same amount of time for close to the same cost and get an amazing flying airplane, I"M IN!!!! I only worked on that plane in the evenings when I had free time and I go to bed at 10:00PM. The covering took the most effort as the kits just about assembles itself and very little measuring, cutting, and epoxying have to be done. They really are amazing. I have heard the same about Stevens Aeromodels kits. MM had a P51 I am going to try next and a new pattern plane with retracts that looks like a sweet airplane.

Happy Flying

Someone please make the wind stop!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2009, 05:24 PM
mad web tv scientist

sky, your picture seems to show very little thrust angles. Please be sure to shim in at least a "stock amount" of down and right thrust. I learned the "hard way" [] about thrust adjustment needs.

derek, I stand corrected. I like the structural beauty of the DR-1 so much that I may order one uncovered so I can cover it with a light translucent red material except over the white areas with the black crosses.

Since my Red Baron adventures have been with "Corsair equipment" my reports about it are on the Corsair thread. I now have a tested and proven "shoot down proof" AR500 receiver in my repaired and upgraded Fokker Triplane. A neat thing is that the plane is less than 1/2 ounce heavier now than it was when it was first built. A tricky thing about WWI planes with better than a one to one thrust ratio is that the throttle must be moved up more carefully than we are used to on our more "refined machines." Drag characteristics can also be really tricky in windy turbulent conditions. It is important to keep plenty of power on especially when flying down wind. I will have a lot more to say if I can finish some more testing without crashing again.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 04-25-2009, 08:11 PM
skybluesky

Mad, it's actually got plenty of thrust angle...the pic doesn't show it well. The white back plate you see is part of the stock motor mount which already has shims of sorts molded onto the back. It may even have a little extra as I've added a thin plywood spacer so a little more shaft could come through the cowl.

Derek, I DO need the servo. NOT the ESC. Did you get my PM's? I just wasn't sure if they worked because nothing is showing in my sent folder. I'll shoot you another with my address.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:16 PM
derek2005

Skybluesky,

I got two PM's from you, but I didn't see an address. I am still more than happy to send one to you.

Mad,

Where are you posting about the triplane? I would like to follow you. I have interest in flying one some day. I do fly the biplanes on my sim and they are much more "draggy". I would imagine that a triplane would be even more so. They are so cool though.

Derek
Old 04-27-2009, 12:58 AM
mad web tv scientist

[8D] sky, thanks for setting my mind at ease about your understanding of thrust adjustment. I sort of suspected that your picture was not telling the whole story.

derek, the next two urls bring up information about my WWI flying machines. The problem with the Red Baron Triplane was the receiver (I think). Tests this week should be conclusive. Page 5 of the CALL TO GLORY web site with Eddie Rickenbacker's Spad is priceless because it shows us the key to victory for optimum ground handling performance not found anywhere else.

Parkzone f4U Corsair Rtf (post #922-975)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_75...page_39/tm.htm

CALL TO GLORY!
http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...ORY/page4.html

Please notice how far forward the landing gear is located. Both my Spad and the Dr-1 are built with the landing gear located as far forward as possible. Who would ever dare to argue that America's Ace of Aces could possibly be wrong about proper landing gear placement.

Once I get enough practice flying the "draggy" but very powerful (can pull straight up easily at less than full throttle) and highly maneuverable WWI planes, I think they may turn out to be a lot of fun. They really look great in the air, have tremendous science/history inspirational conversation provoking ability, and I find them to be irresistible - the most important quality. (LOL)

The bottom line, as with other planes, is that they can help provide us with "attention getting" credibility for more important technology and other truth beneficial to man like nothing else can. Please notice how CBS has reversed its treatment of Cold Fusion technology on the bottom of the "Ace of Aces page."

Modeling and modelers have a lot to offer a better future world.

RETREAT IS NOT AN OPTION! [sm=punching.gif]

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 05-02-2009, 04:49 PM
mad web tv scientist

[] derek, just realized I owe you and the Club an explanation about the Triplane. My problem was caused by the trauma of crashing my Corsair on the same day that I did some inconclusive test hops with the little red plane and broke loose some of the repaired strut mounts which it turns out are the weakest parts of the structure in a crash. Carbon fiber tow material now reinforces the newly installed strut mounts on the Dr-1. Before I assemble my new Spad all of the strut mounts for it will be carbon fiber reinforced before I do anything else.

The Corsair now has a carbon fiber reinforced motor mount and sports a new cowl to replace the shattered one. The previously reinforced wing needed almost no repair attention. A plug of foam front and back around the mounting system was easily glued back in place and after a little touch up paint I can now get back to "normal" (?). [sm=what_smile.gif]

When I can thoroughly wring the Triplane out I will make a report. After my last three (3) crashes I am still not completely sure what is going on. I think I have a bad 11.1 volt battery.

More later if I don't become totally insane!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 05-06-2009, 10:46 PM
HEMICUDA

Hello boys! I got a wild hair up my bum today and decided to take out the FZ cub for a crash.
This time would be different, I put in my 11.1v 1250 mah lipo. Lots more power! I took my
wife along, vid cam on the ready, and told this won't take long...don't bother. She taxied real nice,
plenty of power to turn those 3 in sport micro-lite wheels on the infield of the ballpark. After a
a range check,ok, did a few taxi runs at half speed handle good. Line up for take off, ease it forward
gaining momentum, build speed, nearing the end of the infield at full speed I gently pull back on
the elevator and up she goes faster than I ever seen her go...wait a minute she's banking hard
to the right, give left rudder, left aileron, she's flipping over nose diving back to the right, back
and to the right, SPLATTTT!!!! [:@] MAJOR LAWN DART!![:@] Buried the motor in 3 inches
of mud, snapped the wing,( don't worry, it's the original wing, breaks in a different spot every time,
Boy maybe if I cover the whole thing in CA?) and finished off the original fuse. My wife felt bad,
I told it's my fault...I wasted $160 on this plane when I should have bought the HZ Supercub for
the same $ instead. This plane cannot fly if my kids' life depended on it! I will try one more
time, I have the new wing, fuse, tail section, brushless motor, 11.1v lipo and waiting for my
brushless ESC to come in. After I put all that together and give it one more honest effort and it
dosen't fly, every piece of that yellow turd will go in a bow, and be shipped at my expense to
Hobbico Flyzone with a letter stating what an abissmal product they dupe people into buying and
wasting their money on. And I'll yell and scream on everythread that asks what plane to buy, I
will pound out ANYTHING BUT FLYZONE!!![:@][:@][:@]

Hemicuda
Old 05-07-2009, 08:59 AM
AirFool

Whats up guys, i have the FZ Cub and have had only one crash since buying it and it was due to flying in the wind. It is extremely under powered or over weight depending how you look at it, but if you have some flying experience you should be able to handle it. I do agree however that Hobbico should not sell it as a beginner and it is anything but agile. It is a slow, smooth turn in flying plane. If you upset it it will impersinate the chinese olympic dive team. This gets tiresome and after 15 flights and some advice from some members on here i decided to get a brushless setup. Its been ready for over a week but the wind here wont quit. As soon as i get it airborne ill give feedback.

My setup:
TowerPro 2408-21T
18A ESC
Zippy 3s 20C 1050mah Lipo
Standard 7x3 prop, 8x4 waiting to go on next

Thanks for the help and good luck with your cubs,
Laz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.