Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Hobbico FlyZone® Piper J-3 Cub RTF

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Hobbico FlyZone® Piper J-3 Cub RTF

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:46 PM
mad web tv scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobbico FlyZone® Piper J-3 Cub RTF

[8D] OUTSIDE LOOPS?

What a wonderful way to unwind. By hand launching the Cub today and enjoying its comfortably slow, nicely stable and very scale flight performance I couldn't ask for a more effective flying catharsis experience.

After two stressful high G maneuvering fighter plane missions today, with ominously turbulent wind whipping around, I thought I would go ahead and at least put up one flight with the Cub, more out of obligation to modeling than any real desire to do any more flying. Once in the air things changed.

The Cub usually gets treated with a little less respect than it deserves by flying later in the day when the turbulence is up. The wind was so strong the little ship made very slow progress when headed directly into the wind at cruising speed. But it flew so well that the earlier stress began to immediately drain away.

The thermals were fun. I was actually enjoying the slow flight pattern of upwind very lazy figure eight and long oval circling flight so much that I couldn't resist going ahead and putting up yet another flight. Some day I am actually going to do the right thing and learn to ROG, use the rudder, etc., but for now the Cub is my "motor powered glider therapy flyer."

On one of my descents from thermal soaring I dove dead stick straight down and tried a dead stick outside loop. Only managed to pull out into inverted flight. No problem, who needs to do outside loops with a Cub anyway? On my next flight running on a little heavier, little weaker Lipo, as I was diving dead stick straight down I slammed in full power and tried an outside loop again. Got a little further around but couldn't hack the mission. I have some other props and batteries to experiment with and will see what a nice cool dense air day will make possible some time in the future.

Got'a go to fighter pilot debriefing now while the details are still fresh.

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Talent5

Sorry Fellas (Hemi, Web & Derek) for being absent on this thread.

Also welcome to the CUB CLUB AstroDad !!

Well, guys I'm still flying and still buying. I now know my fiancee truly loves me despite I cheat on her with my planes. Oh how I love them. I can say it "I'm areonautical Junkie and proud of it"! I'll get off work and somehow (coughing) end up at the park with two or three of my darlings with me ready to fly (not counting my heli E-Flite CX2). Six more planes have joined my fleet since my last post. And my soon-to-be-wife didn't get mad or yell or give me hell, she just said "as long as your happy sweetie". I knew then either this is a set-up for something big or this woman is to good to be true. LOL. Also, b4 i forget Happy Belated Father's Day to you all. My family is so funny that for Father's day they got me Hanging Hooks for my planes to put on the garage wall. Oh, what a hint to say " we love you, now give us our garage back"! Did any of you get a simular gift?
But the best news I got for you guys is if any of you are looking for some REAL bargains go to RC SUPERSTORE. I just got a Super Cub with all the fixings. Extra Prop, Extra battery, Free Drop Module (for dropping bombs and Parachutes) and FREE SHIPPING all for the regular price of the Super Cub at your LHS. I also have been building a brushless J-3 Cub and Sky Fly. I have bought all the parts and have been putting my own electronics in it. I have been doing both projects at the same time. I want to see the fly characteristics of these birds with some new life in them. Also, a great buy is the P-51 Mustang both Flat out and Parkzone verison. My flying club(DCAM) Douglas County AeroModelers here in Georgia have posted a few of our pylon races on YOU TUBE and I will make sure I have the links to a few of our races for ya'll to see. I will update as soon as I can from my new endeavours. I wish you all Good Flying and More Smiling.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:51 AM
HEMICUDA

Welcome back Talent 5,
It's good to hear you're still with your FZ cub. I'm too committed and bullheaded and broke to give up on the Flying Yellow Turd as I have fondly renamed mine. [8D] I recently went to an all electric fly- in at the nearest club (50 miles) and met some nice people who took time out to talk to me and answer alot of questions I had and I actually gonna have an instructor to help with battle with Earth's gravity[>:] Because without a proper field or guidance I'm setup for failure. So hopefully this weekend My piloting skills will increase [8D] and if I increase my skills I then have to talk the wife into letting me increase my hanger collection!!

HEMICUDA
Old 06-26-2008, 10:33 PM
AstroDad

I thought I would check in. The little cub has finally been recycled into a Fling 2M non-powered glider which is using the radio and servos.

Once I had given up on the cub, I purchased an Arrow 40 glow plane. I have been having a blast with the Arrow! I have gone through over a gallon of fuel and only had one close call (lost control at low altitude), no crashes, and not even a hard landing, knock on wood.

I have not gotten the glider too far away yet, but was wondering, do you think the cub’s radio gear will work at long range that the glider might go, or was the cub designed to stay in close like you would expect for a park flyer?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:08 AM
mad web tv scientist

AstroDad, interesting type of flying. I think you are safe up to 600-700 feet. My one meter plus wing span PF planes that can just barely be seen at that altitude perform quite well. The Cub was so high today I really couldn't tell what it was doing except getting smaller and smaller. I flew a lot of dead stick maneuvers while bringing her back to a more visable altitude. Found ranges on the web for popular PFs to be from 1300 - 2500 feet.

Talent, great to see you back! Your unique enthusiasm and pure joy of modeling has been missed. You have more than made up for your absence with your post. Glad things are working out so well for you. You live very close to some family members my wife and I plan to visit in the fall. Do you think it might be possible for us to get together for some flying and/or some visiting?

Hemi, it's good to see you still having fun.

derek, I understand your work situation having been in a similar condition myself, so don't let us stress you out about our airplane stuff. Looking forward to learning about some of your new adventures.

I hope we can get some former posting flyers back and posting about their current activities.

Today's flying schedule was to have been low key, starting with a couple of long relaxing Accipiter Badius flights and then ending with three shorter flights flying the Cub. For some strange reason the motor on the AB would not run. Very strange because it performed perfectly last time out.

It was very turbulent and windy on the smaller site I chose to fly on today, but I was determined to run down all five (5) batteries that I had peak charged. I allowed adequate cool down time between flights so as not to cook the motor though it seemed to never get hot, possibly compliments of the extra cooling my modifications may have made possible. I wasn't in the mood to experiment with props, etc. but it was interesting to notice the performance difference between the 2 ounce batteries and the 3.5 ounce ones.

The first flight with a "heavy" battery demonstrated very noticeably slow Cub climbing performance below about 300 feet. Evidently the good thermals at higher altitude were what created a false sense of security as the big battery seemed to
be adequate at altitude. The really noticeable problem was how quickly the plane dropped out of the sky when the battery gave up compared to the lighter batteries.

Stalling behavior was checked and seemed to be nicely normal. I wasn't in the mood to try any nice recognizable "Chandelles." Instead, there was the "comfort zone maneuvers" of loops, aileron rolls, rudder rolls, inside and outside barrel rolls, and a spin. A stall turn would also be a nice maneuver to perfect. I never remember to think to try it. One maneuver that needs to be tried someday is to start with a power dive, pull straight up and aileron roll, then at the exact point where the plane stops going up, quickly reverse the ailerons, and if it can be done correctly it should continue rolling a time or two while dropping tail first before it tries to fall out of the sky. My Spitfire should be able to do it if my Cub can't.

HAPPY FLYING ALL!

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:18 PM
derek2005

Great to see everyone back and talking again. This thread seemed to fade for a few weeks. I have been missing my cub so I ordered a new fuse so I can get it back in the air. I will definately be making some reinforcements to the tail end this time though. I hate losing a plane to structure failure. It is bad enough when it is pilot err, but when the plane just gives out on you and all you can do is watch it spiral to the ground it is frustrating.

I have gotten my mini pulse back up after a not so recent crash. I had to rebuild from the wing to the front of the plane. I found out that I had a faulty servo that caused that crash, so I upgraded to hitec carbonite gears. What a difference!

I also am getting a stryker for my birthday! I am very excited about that, although I am a bit nervous about the speed.

Still haven't gotten my Slow Poke Sport 40 up. I attempted to get the engine started last week, but I need to get more field equipment. Especially an electric starter.

Glad to see everyone back.

Happy Flying
Old 06-27-2008, 11:50 PM
HEMICUDA

Mad Web- I didn't know you also flew the "AB" ? I was looking at possible buying one or two (saw a 2 fer $69 deal on a site)
Of the "AB" what do you think? Also the Shun Da J-3 cub doesn't look too bad either...saw one in army OD green.(also $69)

Derek- I think the thread died out for a couple of weeks because we all had parts on backorder!

I'm supposed to maiden my ELECTRISTAR this weekend (with an instructor no less) weather permitting of course![8D]

Good luck to all who leave Terra Firma!
Old 06-29-2008, 12:34 AM
mad web tv scientist

HEMI, yes, the AB is my very favorite trainer/demonstrator. Here is the url for a sample of my discussions about it:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_60...tm.htm#6126801

Before testing my Cub in the 100 degree temperature air today my now repaired AB with its modified and lightened simi-symmetrical wing was flown with one of my 1800mAh LiPos that weighs in at 3.5 ounces - got a just barely recognizable outside loop with the combo. It turned out that a motor electrical feed wire had "burned loose" on a bad motor connection terminal. The ship is good as new now.

I finally learned a very valuable lesson about electric soldering irons that might help others who find soldering to be difficult at times. Before plugging the iron in I tightened the screws holding the element that touches the solder/work. It finally dawned on me that by tightening them while the element was cool before heat expansion made for a really tight element once the iron heated up. Also before plugging the iron in I used a fine file to get the tip element filed down to pure copper. I then coated the tip with flux, plugged in the iron and when it got hot I "tinned" the tip all over with solder. Soldering with this iron turned out to be a very satisfying experience.

Did some experimenting with props today. The APC 7x4 on the Cub might perform better or at least as well as the stock prop - more experimentation needed to be sure. A neat thing about today is that the air density was within 5% of "mile high" air density as a result of pure temperature.

Both planes suffered noticeably in performance from that of beautiful cool "dense sea level air days." A "rule of thumb" that I use to predict air conditions is to assume a 4% drop in air density for for every 10 degrees F rise in air temperature.

derek, in a post around the time of the above AB thread a father introducing his kids to modeling actually found that they were able to fly the STRYKER more easily than the normally recommended motor powered glider approach. A little terror is normal, however, but we are pulling for you. The STRYKER is a very refined airplane that I am sure you will enjoy - lots'a posts written about it!

These last two trips of mine out to the flying field have been very pleasant with only minor anxiety, and with joyful anticipation of flight. That will cease if my new Spitfire batteries arrive this week. Eventually, I expect to actually be able to enjoy flying my Spit. It is fast, I still lose orientation when flying it, and there is that nagging fear that I will surely suffer from "brain fade" at a critical moment and destroy this beautiful piece of flying art. I am not sure that I am emotionally equipped to handle such a tragedy.

Astro Dad, how are you getting your glider up to soaring altitude? Just out of curiosity what is the wing loading on your glider?

Until next time,

Old 06-29-2008, 03:10 PM
derek2005

Well, I am back in business!

I repaired my cub this weekend. I fabricated a new tial out of wood. I simply sketched the outline of the old HS and cut it out of a sheet of wood. I used a dremel to cut lightening holes and then covered it. It is far more solid than the foam. It is a little heavier, so I am going to have to rebalance the plane. I know weight is bad for this plane, but I will be putting in a lipo and possibly a brushless motor soon. I don't want to create a beast, just a dependable plane that will always be a pleasure to fly. The new tail looks great. I covered it in clear blue. I think I am going to add some more blue to the plane just to balance the color scheme out, although it looks good with a blue horizontal stab. Can't wait for a calm day to try this baby out again.

I also got my Stryker all set up and ready to go. The foam on it seems sooooo much more durable than the Hobbico cub foam. I am very excited about this plane.

I even got to fly my mini pulse successfully for the first time since my rebuild and I have gotten in a few hovering sessions with my Blade CPP.

Now I just need to get my nitro plane up in the air.

Happy Flying!

Old 06-29-2008, 07:06 PM
mad web tv scientist

[8D] derek, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I finally found the post about the STRYKER you might find encouraging.

Where Did You Get Your First Park Flyer?
(Please see post # 21)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_61..._1/key_/tm.htm

Keep us posted on your flying adventures.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:43 AM
HEMICUDA

Hi Guys,

Was supposed to maiden the Electristar with an Instructor I met last weekend at a Fly-in. Got rained out[&o]
So I did a little repair tweeking on the FZ Cub and charged up the three batteries for my next battle with gravity.[>:]

Have fun
Old 07-01-2008, 04:47 PM
mad web tv scientist

HEMI, looking forward to learning about your missions. I also just finished charging up three batteries for my Cub. Two are the powerful RadenTech 1.8 ounce 1000mAh 7.4Volt LiPos that might provide the margin needed along with the new APC 7X4 prop and proper piloting technique to perform a "recognizable" outside loop. I am going to try to get out this afternoon after some chores to find out.

First flight if things go as planned is to fly my modified AB with an 1800 mAh LiPo to enjoy it's unique flying characteristics.

Got'a run.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:22 PM
derek2005

Hey all!

Ailerons......pre-flight check.....oh yeah? ailerons must have been reversed!!!!! Argggggggggghhh.

Results, One two piece stryker, one busted fuse on the mini pulse, one sad pilot. Idiot pilot.

I tried to fly my Stryker yesterday and it ended up doing a header because the ailerons were reversed. So I went home and studied the programing on my controller. I accidentally reversed the ailerons on my mini pulse without realizing it. Found out the hard way. I should have done a better pre-flight check. Ouwch! Two planes in two days. Can you say stupid? Oh well. Everything is repaired or repairable. The mini pulse took a beating though.

I also attempet to ROG the cub today. A gust of wind turned the take-off into a cartwheel. Just not my day. At least my blade cpp is cooperating. I hovered for a total of 30 minutes today without incident.

By the way, always do a pre-flight check and make sure your ailerons function properly.

Happy Flying
Old 07-01-2008, 10:42 PM
AstroDad

ORIGINAL: mad web tv scientist

Astro Dad, how are you getting your glider up to soaring altitude? Just out of curiosity what is the wing loading on your glider?
It is a Fling 2M
http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1062.html
Wing Loading: 5.8 oz/ft²

We are launching it with a Hi-Start, which gets it up to about 200 feet hight. It is basically a rubberband with a long string on the end that pulls it up.

I shared the cost of the glider with my flying buddy, who had quickly crashed the glider hard while attempting to do a loop near ground level... he swears he will repair it (hopefully soon). the glider did fly so graceful!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Talent5

Hey All (Web, Derek, & Hemi),

[&o]Derek, man I feel for you. I had that same problem on my Brio 10 a couple months back. All because of not doing a Pre- Flight Check. BOY Oh BOY did I learn a lessson on that one. I felt all the same emotions. Even shame to tell the fam, how much of a Dummy I was. Derek, I hate hearing about failed flights, they are the worst. Even though I know it's possibility each time we fly. I do wanna say this to all Brothers Who Defy Gravity .... I had days when I couldn't get a Helium Balloon to fly and the constant crashes shook my confidence in my skills. Even though, everyone around me knew I could take to the air like a bird. I Simulated flights on the G4 til my confidence came back (it took 4 months). So, Derek be better than me and trust in your talent & skill and don't let 4 months or even 4 days stop you from riding the WIND !!

Today, Georgia weather was calm winds until I wanted to fly after work with my 4yr old son, then you know gust of wind from nowhere. I was helping my son flying the Sky Fly for about 7 mins. b4 I told him sorry but it's getting to windy. We land like Pros, head to the car and then BAM no wind for 10 Mins. So I grab the Super Cub with the drop module attached and let my son put the parachute man on. Hand toss that bird (because the grass is tall in that field and couldn't ROG) and then like a vengenful ex-girlfriend [:@] here is the freakin' wind again. The Super Cub is handling it alot better than the Sky Fly. I get about 300 ft up and drop the parachute man (best part of owning this bird) and partially see my son happy to watch him fall to earth. I land after one quick lap around the field. Then have my son again, put the parachute man on the drop module again and Zoom back up in the air fighting wind. I had to keep the throttle at about 3/4 just to sustain level flight. Was handling the sudden wing drops pretty good that no one really noticed my determination to keep the bird flying. And again drop Mr. Parachute Man to the delightful joy of my son. And despite that wicked Hefer I call WIND.... 3 picture perfect landings. My son & I go pick up the plane "Hi-5" head back to car and call it a day. Get home and NO FREAKIN' WIND. She's gotta be messing with me on purpose. So go in the house, grab the E-Flite CX2 and all 4 batteries just do some circles up and down the street and over around the neighbors house. All and all a good day !

Web, don't forget to let me know when you in town so we can do some flying! Hey guys, I think I may start a club for Park Flyers. So we can do flying in Gyms or even at times in Phillips Arena. I have a Conference Call with a guy from the AMA Park Flyer Program tomorrow who gonna help me get some stuff to get it started. The sad thing is I checked in my zipcode and 50 miles out and there is only 4 registered AMA Park Flyers. But going to my LHS, they been selling alot of Park Flyer RTFs & ATF planes (been talking to the owner...good guy and friend). Will let you know how it all turns out.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:50 PM
mad web tv scientist

[X(] WOW! What fun! I would have to write a book to do justice with all the modeling stuff going on in this thread right now! I'll try to touch on what time and "reasonable space" (?) will allow.

derek, would you believe I managed to connect my ailerons backwards at least twice in the beginning of my work with ailerons? I think the last time (it's been a while and I try to forget such embarrassing moments) I actually caught the mistake before attempting flight. Luck and the toughness of my motor powered gliders is all that saved me from serious disasters.

Airplanes can have a powerful disorienting influence on us mere mortals. You may recall the B-17 prototype bomber that was destroyed during it's demonstration flight after a spectacular long range flight. After that pilot error caused crash (forgot to remove the protective control surface locks), pilots were given the "pre-flight" check list. Excitement can really be a "problem" sometimes. Hopefully, the synergism of all of us can help each of us make it over the rough emotional spots that all of us experience. We can all sympathize with you.

Speaking of excitement, I just ordered a new PZ Corsair! Not only that, but my light 2 ounce 11.1 Volt batteries have just arrived. I expect my 21.5 ounce Spitfire to be able to do anything except maybe whistle Dixie!

An interesting and fun thread that may help "justify" {rationalize (?)} owning so many planes is located on this thread: How Many Functional Airplanes You Have? (post # 90)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_26...tm.htm#7646544

Okay, my Cub flies really great with the 7X4 APC prop - not a hint of sluggishness even when flying in 90 degree F temperatures. It is also now getting the most flight time. The Cub is always the second plane that is taken out to the field when either a motor powered glider or a warbird is the first plane to be flown. The Cub is now second only to the Spit in "time to climb" to "altitude." I enjoy talking to new modeling prospects about the Cub and the flyers on our thread, etc..

AstroDad, my lightest motor powered gliders have about a 33% higher wing loading than your gliders. "Fling gliders" that I've read about could literally be launched by a special "wing tip launching" technique. Have you had any experience in this area? I share your joy of graceful gliding. My modified ABs are almost perfect for my present personal flying purposes. Everything else is/possibly can be enjoyable and will be pursued as discussed on various threads, but the "magic" of thermal soaring is really my "thing."

Talent, your "cool under fire" demeanor demonstrated toward your audience with controlled "trembling inside" while fighting "unseen forces" (wind gusts, gravity, etc.) is surely the height of adventure. With what appears to be an exploding interest in modeling right now I have no doubts about your abilities to succeed with club work. Just please don't get too stressed. It can sneak up on you, so please try to stay cool. You know what they say, "it's always the one that you don't see that gets you." I just hate it when we loose good guys.

If I can make it to Georgia this fall I plan to bring the Cub and an AB that I hope we can have some fun with.

I checked out some of the neat aircraft everybody mentioned but I better hold off discussions for now and get this posted.

Keep having fun everybody, or at least trying to.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:22 PM
HEMICUDA

Talent5,

I like that, wind... returned like a vengeful ex-girlfriend! Just think, if it returned like a vengeful Ex-wife you have crashed
the plane, paid her half the cost of it and lost the rest of your hanger fleet to her and paid her monthly storage fees!

Sorry had to be done couldn't resist. Happy flying.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:32 AM
Talent5

Hey again all (Web, Hemi & Derek)

I decided today I was gonna begin my new project, how to build a "MONSTER CUB"! I went to the LHS where it like Cheers when I go in .... Hi Norm So, I go to the back wall and start picking up spare parts for the HZ Super CUB. Fuselage, Wing, Tail, Cowl, Landing Gear, 2 micro Servos, E-Flite 480 Brushless Outrunner, Castle 36 AMP ESC and some Foam safe glue. The battery is gonna be a Lipo. Those are my monster making parts. With that motor the Cub should be a absolute BEAST !! So now I need your help when done.... should I have it Airbushed, use crappy stickers or Spray Paint it. And if so what ? I need all your best ideas for this project. This our group project ... with our minds together I know this will be Great.

Looks like the Park Flyer Club I want to start is more and more a reality !
Old 07-03-2008, 11:54 PM
EpoweredRC

Good seeing and talking to you Talent. Let me know when that Cub is finished I want to see it.
get with me when your going to park maybe we can do some flying together. or if you wanna come out to the PC Field and fly.

Hi everyone else, I do not own a Cub but have flown a few glow ones in the past, I used to fly with talent at DCMA but now only belong to PCMA trying to get talent over to join with us. Hope his park program gets off the ground and maybe i can do some demo flying for at some places
for him.

I mostly fly electrics but fly a few glow planes also, big into 3D flying, at least I try

Chris

ORIGINAL: Talent5

Hey again all (Web, Hemi & Derek)

I decided today I was gonna begin my new project, how to build a "MONSTER CUB"! I went to the LHS where it like Cheers when I go in .... Hi Norm So, I go to the back wall and start picking up spare parts for the HZ Super CUB. Fuselage, Wing, Tail, Cowl, Landing Gear, 2 micro Servos, E-Flite 480 Brushless Outrunner, Castle 36 AMP ESC and some Foam safe glue. The battery is gonna be a Lipo. Those are my monster making parts. With that motor the Cub should be a absolute BEAST !! So now I need your help when done.... should I have it Airbushed, use crappy stickers or Spray Paint it. And if so what ? I need all your best ideas for this project. This our group project ... with our minds together I know this will be Great.

Looks like the Park Flyer Club I want to start is more and more a reality !
Old 07-04-2008, 12:50 AM
mad web tv scientist

[8D] prowler, welcome to the club whose main stalwart members have endured and have triumphed (to one extent or another) over the kind of "baptism of fire" that this little Cub so uniquely provides for unsuspecting new modeling enthusiasts. Our battle scars help bind us together. I love my Cub.

I've been an AMA member since the early '70s flying mostly Control-Line planes 'till a little over two years ago when I got hooked on electric technology, but I have a question you might be able to clear up for me. Exactly what is 3-D flying and how did such a name come about?

Thank you for dropping by. Hope you can continue to share stuff with us.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:56 AM
EpoweredRC

ORIGINAL: mad web tv scientist

[8D] prowler, welcome to the club whose main stalwart members have endured and have triumphed (to one extent or another) over the kind of "baptism of fire" that this little Cub so uniquely provides for unsuspecting new modeling enthusiasts. Our battle scars help bind us together. I love my Cub.

I've been an AMA member since the early '70s flying mostly Control-Line planes 'till a little over two years ago when I got hooked on electric technology, but I have a question you might be able to clear up for me. Exactly what is 3-D flying and how did such a name come about?

Thank you for dropping by. Hope you can continue to share stuff with us.

Well, 3D is when you get the plane in a 3D attitude, hovering when the plane is vertical and not moving up or down is a popular 3D move. also torque rolls ,harriers, rolling circle.

Its kinda like a 3D dimensional object. Not sure how they really came up with calling it 3D they now have the 4D planes these are the ones that have the variable pitch props and can actually fly them back wards, i have yet to try this but want to in the future.

I have been flying since 89, and got ou of it a few times, and got back into it in 2004 and seen the small foamie planes with brushless motos and lipos and seen what all they could do and said I want to try that, so me and my father both got foamies and I learned 3D and he just learned to fly a foamy lol never really learned much 3D but he can a little.

I enjoy flying anything thats flyable. I have come up with a few foam airplanes that I disgned and thought about others to build but to lazy to build a autally plane LOL.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:53 PM
mad web tv scientist

[8D] prowler, thank you for clearing that up. I've known for some time that "3-D flying" involved flying an airplane like a helicopter but the name made no sense to me.

Flying Control-line airplanes might qualify as "2-D" flying, being as the path from the pilots prospective is normally only up and down. Then there is the description of "3-D" flying that accompanied the instructions that came with my "Rolling Fury" airplane as discussed in the following post.
How do I fly, exactly? - Page 4 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums (please see post # 100)
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...?t=1777&page=4

You might notice that I never did get an answer to my "3-D question" on that thread. Maybe my "agenda" got in the way.

Anyway, would I be correct in referring to my vertical rolling, pause, then tail slide while rolling maneuver, a 3-D maneuver? If so, does it have a name? I haven't done this maneuver, of course, but I am trying to work up the courage to try it.

A PZ Corsair demonstrates a really cool looking 4 point roll on the web that I simply must learn to do some time after I get this great new warbird. I think my now more powerful Cub might be capable of doing something that could look a lot like a four point roll. This is just another little something to help maintain that little extra "whiff of danger" that helps keep flying excitement so much fun.

You are not lazy! You are simply choosing your battles! I have the same problem. No matter what I do there is always so much more I could/should be doing. For example, I have compiled a huge pile of documentation for an"upcoming" (?) "CALL TO GLORY" web site aimed at edifying and entertaining even the most implacable modeling enthusiasts "among us" who have become legions in their own minds (you know the type, those who are really talented in their ability to "turn off" people with whom they disagree). I keep rationalizing that having fun with all my planes is much too important to interrupt with a project of what now seems to be of vanishingly miniscule importance. Like the Control-Line gods, incorrigible people tend not to be amused when their idols are tampered with.

If I am right then concentrate on having fun doing modeling your way! This is what I love about PFs. I can enjoy modeling MY WAY whether some self appointed gurus like it or not!

Old 07-04-2008, 08:31 PM
EpoweredRC

There is a 3D move where you fly vertical, and let the plane fall stright back down the same path, you can make it go up down up down. I can do it with my small foamies and my small electric 3D plane, its called a Pogo ( kinda like a pogo stick I guess is where they got the name)
You can be rolling while doing this, but most rolling while vertical at a stall is called Hovering, and torque rolls as said before.
4 point rolls are fun, one of my favorotire manuvers you just have to pick what way you like to roll left or right, for me I like rolling to the right. so when you roll to the right your then knife edged, you then use your elevator as your rudder and your rudder as your elevator, ( confused yet?)

so roll right then give left rudder for up, roll again your inverted, down elevator to keep plane level. then you roll the next 1/4 and you use right rudder to keep level then roll back to upright.

sounds confusion and it really is explaining it to someone online.

My advice is learn to KE=Knife edge at least a little before 4 points. i could KE both ways before ever trying to get good at 4 point rolls. once you have the 4 point down try a 8 point LOL, I can do one sometimes but not everytime perfect like I wish.

Happy flying hope all are having a great 4th of july.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Talent5

Hey Night Prowler,

I'm free to fly tomorrow at PC. just let me know and I can come fly and drop off my finished application.

Web, I've known Night Prowler going on 2 yrs and that guy is great pilot. Just watching him in the air makes you stop n watch. He sounds modist about his abilities, but doesn't all the good ones?

I will be getting some Krylon water based spray paint and painters tape and begin the MONSTER CUB. I also was taking to someone on the SuperCub thread and he's done exactly what i'm trying to do. He gave me some sound advise about building it. Will start giving passing out the info once completed.

Hope you all enjoyed the Forth !!
Old 07-05-2008, 02:55 PM
mad web tv scientist

prowler, we are kindred spirits in thinking about developing maneuvers. My flight sim has been used very much in the manner you have suggested. Actual practice with my planes has been limited except , of course, when it has been necessary to show off for a new modeling prospect or a modeling friend.

My excuse for being so timid about practicing maneuvers has been that I am in the process of cycling my new LiPos, and there is some truth in this concept. I have a lot of different LiPos and am concerned about their proper care and feeding. The real reason is that maneuvering a lot really makes me nervous. I just really enjoy flying with the exciting realization that I could at any moment fly a maneuver. Sometimes I actually do, usually at the end of the day when I have no audience to impress.

I am happy to see you and Talent working together. I look forward to vicariously enjoying your modeling adventures.

Yes, it was a wonderful fourth. I am very oppimistic about the future, especially after the "culture war" is won by the good guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.