Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

too windy to fly

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 03:31 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default too windy to fly

I knew it was too windy, but it was my only day to fly, repeat after me....so I power up and it leaps into the air I bring it around and it is hovering (this is a mini max by the way) like a kite with a propeller, I had fixed the cg prob (from last time) and it was at least flying level, then I think the wind caught it and moved the battery back and screwed up the cg (it may have been me though) and I couldnt keep it flying in the wind and it dove and hit a chain link fence...........I knew it was too windy, but it was my only day to fly .......Rog
Old 04-05-2003, 08:39 PM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default too windy to fly

Repeat after me.

"I'll take the plane home and wait for a better day."

I can't count the times I've come home with a damaged plane because "I think I can handle the wind".

I've since got a foam flying wing for those windy days. Not because it handles the wind better, but because it doesn't bother me near as much to crash it as it does to crash my balsa Switchback.

Jason
Old 04-09-2003, 08:30 PM
BykrDan

Default too windy to fly

Of all my crashes (and there've been a few), the majority of them were due to bad choices in flying sites and wind conditions. Yup - sometimes it's just better to wait it out.

Dan.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:59 PM
jettstarblue

Default too windy to fly

Ah, so ve meet again!
Flyin' ROG, get a heavier plane for those days, like a Zagi. You will only increase your skill by flying in some wind. I just came in from flying my G.P. Escapade in a 10-15 mph wind, choppy, and I couldn't get more that 15 ft. AGL. It was more like fighting a big fish than flying R/C, but thats fun too!

Jetts
Old 04-10-2003, 02:01 PM
BuzzBomber

Default too windy to fly

I feel your pain. Last night I finally did the first real damage to my pico cub, not for lack of trying, mind you. I stood there in the field holding the plane for about 5 mins waiting for the wind to calm down for a launch, then as soon as the wind subsided for a minute, I tossed it :stupid: Mistake #1. After a few wild circuits, was getting used to flying my powered kite. Made a downwind turn. Mistake #2. Forgot to cut down all the evil trees around my pasture. Mistake #3. 60 vertical feet later, the only major "modification" was my new two-piece wing. Oh, well. I guess I really should be more patient. I only have to walk 20 yards from my house to fly, it's not like I would have wasted an evening if I had just turned around ans walked back inside. Living on the windward side of the hill sucks.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:24 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Default too windy to fly

well, I only walk 2 blocks from my house to fly, and I dont have anything ready to fly this weekend anyway,supposed to be rainy and windy.......think, I'll start on my next project......Rog
Old 04-10-2003, 11:31 PM
Bob Payne
My Feedback: (8)

Default too windy to fly

Originally posted by Beachernaut
Repeat after me.

I can't count the times I've come home with a damaged plane because "I think I can handle the wind".
I have gotten to where when my 5 yr old son goes with me
he takes a kite, the other night 20 mile per hour winds
deadstick trainer landing after a 2 minute flight only damage
was i have to put the landing gear back on
but we had about an hours fun with the kite afterward, it was one of the little
plastic diamond shape spiderman kites from wally world
wind was so strong it kept bending the cros brace plastic stick.
I knew then it was to windy for my trainer

oohhh well he had fun and thats what its all about.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:58 AM
foxflyer

Default too windy to fly

Seems like a win-win situation... You either become a better flier or a better builder...

#$@%&* ... err ... oops... sorry about that, Damn this optimism.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:22 PM
BuzzBomber

Default too windy to fly

Yep. I got my building lesson. It appears the reason the tree ate my cub was that there wasn't full left rudder deflection, and I didn't think to jockey it hard right in time. Wanna know why? When I put the steerable tailwheel on, I didn't set the hinge exactly even with the rudder hinge, and it bound up on left throw :stupid: . I was wondering why it would do such beautiful rudder rolls to the right, but not the left.