Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Geared vs un-geared S400

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 11:00 PM
mucksmear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Geared vs un-geared S400

Hello,

Anyone know if a gear-reduced speed 400 is any quieter than a direct drive speed 400? I ask because friends direct drive Picojet is quite lound in an anoying highpitched hairdryer sort of way. Are these s400 motors just generally loud?

Thanks in advance-
-E
Old 03-02-2002, 12:13 AM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

Direct drive motors are generally quiter. But I'm assuming your friend is running a Gunther prop on his PJ which are a louder prop. The other thing is that its all foam. There is kindo a resonance in the foam that causes it to be very loud. Other foamies are the same way. Your Zagi's and the like. I had a Twinstar which had 2 motors and it was fairly loud in the air. Not as loud as a slimer of course, but loud for an electric.

--Paul
Old 03-02-2002, 01:49 PM
mpj220

Old 03-02-2002, 11:48 PM
mucksmear

Thanks for all the info guys.
Come to think of it, I recall hearing about the increased noise of pusher props in close proximity to a trailing edge. I have a pusher design here that I might alter by extending the aft fuse just a bit farther beyond the TE. I think the main issue for me to fly it in my "quiet" neighborhood is to get a more pleasing sound (lower pitch). Even if it measuers the same db.

-E
Old 10-11-2002, 06:04 AM
camilleg

Default picojet is unnaturally loud

I've tried half a dozen props and three motors with picojet -- all are loud. The same prop on a projeti is about 20 dB quieter. The folding prop on my graupner terry is far far quieter.

(All these are direct drive foamies.)

From this I suspect that either the relatively exposed motor position on the picojet, or the greater amount of foam near the prop (i.e. turbulent airflow into the prop), account for the noise.

I haven't heard geared sp400's yet, but don't take picojet as typical of direct-drive quietness!

But it's only logical that a big geared prop moves more air less violently and thus is quieter. Whether the gear noise itself counteracts this... i'll bet you a quarter that there's more variability within the families of direct-drive and geared ships,
than between the two.