Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

First Flight ever. Thanks to the gang here

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

First Flight ever. Thanks to the gang here

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:48 AM
BeavenX5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Flight ever. Thanks to the gang here

I did not want to continue the threadjack the P-38 thread so I started my own...

I just had my first ever flying experience yesterday. Thanks to the gang here on RCU and more specifically to Quickwedge and Glacier Girl this was a great experience. Following their advice, I got myself a HZ Super Cub instead of a P-38 to start with. After maybe 40 hours of sim time on the G4, I flet confident enough to fly on my own. Again, following Quick and GG advices here, I brought an experienced flyer with me at the park yesterday early morning for my maiden flight. Having an experienced flyer with you is really the way to make a novice play safe. He gave me many safety tips, gave me some precious advices and made me avoid some mistakes while in flight. He aslo tought me on the field how to make successful approches for landing into the wind while staying clear of the street and houses.

I flew 3 batteries in the morning and 3 in the afternoon for well over 1 hour of flight time and at least 15 sucessfull landings. No crash other than the occasionnal nose down on grass landing. I got quite comfortable with the plane and even got to do a few loops.

My 10 year old son wants to start flying also. I told him to stop flying the Sabre jet and the Mustang on the G4 sim and get use to the Nexstar instead. I will bring him out to the field next week-end together with his friend and his friend's father (my flight instructor). I am sure he will be great and will surpass his father quite quickly.

I think I will be ready soon to move on to something more serious and get myself a PZ T-28 Trojan in a couple of weeks. The SC will always be fun to flight as it can be used in a relatively small park.

One again, thanks to the gang here for providing great infos and advices to us novice.

BeavenX5
Old 11-19-2007, 11:35 AM
SackOHammers

Default RE: First Flight ever. Thanks to the gang here

Great news! Thank you for sharing your story on a successful maiden flight.
I, too, started out on the Super Cub and I'm really glad I did.

I hope to hear more stories.

In this parkflyers section there is a thread for Super Cub enthusiasts:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43...age_182/tm.htm

There is also the super cub club where many of us hang out... talk about modifications and tell stories about flying our cubs.
http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/index.cgi
Old 11-19-2007, 02:23 PM
Leo L

Congratulations! Flying together is a great father/son activity. Keep us updated on your, and your son's, progress.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:11 PM
iflyrc1012
My Feedback: (6)

you have been blessed.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:17 PM
BeavenX5

ORIGINAL: iflyrc1012

you have been blessed.
Yes I have been blessed..., and well prepared with some sim time, 3 years exprience with RC cars/trucks, live instructions from an experience flyer and great advice from RCU members. A first flight on a P-38 twin engine warbird would most certainly be a different story.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:56 PM
r72cnvt

Beaven,
Glad to hear about your successful maiden! I wish I would have found this forum before I got my first plane a few months ago. I would have gotten the Cub (which the LHS tried to get me into). Instead, I got an Aerobird Swift that I promply tore up. It's spent more time in the repair hangar than in the air. But that's just as fun to me.

I'm getting my 9 year old daughter a HZ Cub for Christmas. Just got the notice from Diversion Hobbies today. Should be here Saturday. I hope I can wait a month. lol Like you, I'm very blessed as far as my child goes. I think she'll be teaching me a lot over the next few months about flying.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:26 PM
BeavenX5

Do you have acces to a flight simulator for your daughter to practice a little before flying the real (RC) thing? My LHS as many other LHS have a sim set-up in their store for customer to play with. I am sure an hour or so behind a computer will give her a lot of confidence to fly her own plane.

My son started RC truck with me 3 years ago with a small electric Stampede truck. He quickly moved up to Nitro power larger truck like his father... One thing I noticed is that kids don't treat and dive/fly their RC vehicules the same way we do. They drive fast but crash more often than us adults. Kids are not scared enough of the consequences of a serious crash. First they don't pay for the damage yet and don't spend nearly as much time as we do cleaning and fixing them after. I am only talking from my own experience and from my friend with a 12 year old kid also playing with our RC trucks.

On a very positive note, my son did not now how to handle a screwdriver 3 years ago where he can now dismantle and put back together most of his car and truck with only very little help. This is something school is not teaching him yet ...