Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Sig "Jenny" Park flyer ARf?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 01:00 PM
woodduck-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig "Jenny" Park flyer ARf?

I came across a Sig Jenny park flyer ARF that looks a whole like a GWS Tiger Moth but it appears to have improvements in such things as the struts. Does any body have experience with this plane?
Old 04-02-2003, 04:16 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

It's a new product, and may not even be available yet. Last I heard from the local hobby shop owner, they were on order. Unless you want to be a guinea pig, it'll be a few months before any real discussion on this plane starts popping up on the various groups.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:55 PM
bob21
My Feedback: (11)

i jsut bought one nice plane but i allready burnt the motor. hobby horse in madison wisconsin has them.. now wondering if there is a brushless that will fit in place of the 180
Old 05-05-2003, 11:24 AM
spinnetti

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Saw it at my LHS

Originally posted by mkirsch
It's a new product, and may not even be available yet. Last I heard from the local hobby shop owner, they were on order. Unless you want to be a guinea pig, it'll be a few months before any real discussion on this plane starts popping up on the various groups.

Looks good, basically a TM with improvements (higher quality, fixed TM faults)..

The one downside is a hard acrylic gearbox arrangement. I bet it won't last long. Also since GWS drives are so popular, I bet after one crash, you'll want to put a GWS drive in it.

It doesn't have alerons, but the upper wing has them molded in, so it might be fun to try...
Old 05-05-2003, 12:59 PM
bob21

well they gave me a new motor now waiting o nt the wind to go away here.. it feels though that it will fly right out of your hand.. good american made sig!!
Old 05-07-2003, 09:01 AM
woodduck-RCU

The Jenny looks a lot like the GWS Tiger Moth, I bet the flight characteristics are close. I looked at the Jenny at my LHS yesterday and I agree with you about the Sig quality, I like the wooden struts. What kind of motor problem did you have? Did you weigh the plane, what type of speed control did you use and what battery. I appreciate your comments, I have been waiting for info on the Jenny.

Regards
Old 05-07-2003, 09:32 PM
bob21

well i did not weigh the plane i used a 9.6 volt 720mha nmh battery, a pixe 20 amp speed control. not sure about the motor failing but they gave me a new one and it goes great only flew once so far did some nice loops..well gotta go seeya
Old 05-07-2003, 10:49 PM
HitecRedneck

Using a 9.6 volt battery pack will burn up that little 180 but the recommended 6 cell 720 nimh won't.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:12 AM
bob21

your so right !!! but my lhs was very nice to me and gave me a new one... so now i am back in the air,, if the wind ever quits around here..
Old 05-12-2003, 05:20 PM
R Lummus

I just bought the jenny too... test flew it and it seemed that it didnt want to come out of a turn, looking at the wing it seems to have anhedrial no mention of any dihedrial in plans. I looked on the box and the plane in the picture has dihedral. I am going to do some work on the wings with a hair dryer to put some dihedrial in it . We fly in a gym on friday nights not real small but loads of fun . Has anybody had this kind of problem.I will make the mods and try again on friday, too windy to fly outside here..Russell
Old 05-13-2003, 03:02 AM
HitecRedneck

I test flew mine Sunday using 6 720 nimh battery. My Watt Meter says it is producing 2.5 amps and 15 watts of power. Needless to say as thought, not enough power. Don't know what to do except add a battery and see what happens. Will let you know.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:44 AM
bob21

well i have a seven cell 720mha pack i am going to try tonight so hopefully the lotor will hold up
Old 05-18-2003, 09:11 PM
1987tc
My Feedback: (39)

I am looking to buy a Jenny. Anyone have an idea who has the best price? Or does someone have one they want to sell.
Wes
Old 05-19-2003, 04:40 PM
HitecRedneck

When I first tested my motor for output it must have not been broken in. Instead of 2.5 amps and 15 watts it now, after running for a while test 3.4 amps and 26 watts of power. More than enough to fly it. I'm now working on the cg it seems to be tail heavy.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:49 PM
woodduck-RCU

Default Warped wing on Jenny

I finally got my Jenny to the field and even though the specs for CG have the plane upside down and 1/2" back from leading edge the plane seems heavy. The wing warped from being left in my car in the sun , now the Jenny has the trailing edge of the left side
bent down and the wing tip bent over. Any ideas on how to straighten the wing?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2003, 04:01 AM
R Lummus

Hey woodduck , I used a hair dryer to put dihedrial in my wing and it flies great--- now. try that ! Just do it like you were taking warp out of a wing with monokote, be patient and dont get in a hurry cuz this stuff will melt
Old 05-21-2003, 03:18 PM
woodduck-RCU

Thanks R Lummus , I used a hobby heat gun on low temp and straightened the wing, what a difference!
Old 05-22-2003, 01:23 AM
R Lummus

Mr woodduck sir, you used a heat gun!? to straighten your wing and it didnt melt you must be good! Im am glad it worked out for you.See ya Russell
Old 05-26-2003, 05:48 PM
kennydee

A friend of mine recently bought a SIG Jenny and I put it together for him. I agree, the quality is a little better than the GWS stuff. The plane looks good and flys OK. Changing the battery is a pain though, not nearly as easy as most of the GWS planes. The instructions are also not clear about the placement of the receiver and battery. I used velcro and attached the battery pack vertically just ahead of the servo's and I put the reciever on the other side just behind the motor. Also, the instructions show a double layer of hinge tape, this is strong but not very flexible. Doing it this way on the elevator gave me a joint that was a little too stiff. I had to cut it and use a single layer so the joint was flexable enough to get a better range of motion. As far as being American made, my guess is this plane is made for SIG somewhere in Asia. A good price(new) for this plane would be 50 to 60$.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:05 PM
1987tc

Default Thats what most places are selling them for.

$59.95 just about everywhere. Tower is already out of them.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:57 PM
1987tc

So is the 7 cell 720 mah battery the one to go with? I am ready to buy one and want to get the best battery set up.
And that is a nicad pack right?
Wes
Old 06-03-2003, 08:58 AM
bob21

well i used a 7 cell nmh pack. so far so good if i would nto crash into stuff. it would help if i would quit trying to fly in my back yard.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:16 AM
red_z06

Hi all:

My Jenny specs:

Flying weight: 10.3 oz.
Battery: LiPo 2 cell 7.4v 1200mah

reinforcements:

20"x0.060" carbon rods in the leading edges under the tape.
4"x0.060" carbon rods in the trailing edges
4"x0.060" carbon rods in the elevator.

This wing should be able to handle snap rolls if I had ailerons.
I am considering putting ailerons.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:05 AM
Espresso-Outfitters
Banned

Default RE: Sig "Jenny" Park flyer ARf?

Show pics of your Jenny, mine is my avatar, have more in case you want. I'll be happy to help you add onto it big time, it's a very tame bird, after all they were training with it in it's full version in 1917 the Wright brothers launced theirs in 1903 to give it a better perspective, you gotta love these early birds out of the gaul as well as how far things advanced so quickly within that time frame, this one is still legendary and a mainstream flyer design, perhaps they got it right from the beginning..........