Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

? new ideas for a sky fly

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 05:37 PM
crashed out
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? new ideas for a sky fly

Just bought a sky fly as a 4th plane. I was wondering if anyone has come up with any new ideas on how to improve on the control lines. I have 3 aerobirds and have done most of the improvements I,ve read on this forum but have seen few on the skyfly. An idea I was thinking of was has anyone tried an (E) string from a guitar in place of the fishing line. If you replace the control horns from a aerobird for tail surfaces, you would easily be able to ajust the trim. Also I have made a stop for the battery in an aerobird thats keeps battery from ripping the RX out on a less than perfect landing. I have a few more ideas but would like to start with this for now. Any input?
Old 12-15-2007, 06:03 PM
schuh007

Default RE: ? new ideas for a sky fly

my friend and I have turned his skyfly into a monster, no more stock radio, old Fb commander wing, coroplast tail, 480 motor, i think, and flylites
Old 12-15-2007, 06:14 PM
crashed out

How do you mount a different radio in one of these plastic planed ?
Old 12-15-2007, 06:25 PM
crashed out

I ment plastic planes. I think I,m going to go ahead and try changing over to music wire pushrods and keep the fishing line for the lake. The skyfly is most likely going to be a trainer for my 10 yr old. I have been out of the hobby for a good many years certantly before the electrics have come along.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:21 PM
schuh007

they are great, this is the best trainer hands down, we have chopped the wing down to about 1/3 the original span and it still flys
Old 12-16-2007, 01:57 PM
crashed out

Just finished replacing the fishing line pull strings on my skyfly. I replaced them with .012 music wire from an (E) string of a guitar. I used the little locks from the aerobird. I have not flown it yet but it seems to function perfect. You still use the rubber bands but im sure they will never stretch. If you take the straight end of the wire and feed it from the boom hole first it will come out into the pod where you can grab it with tweezers, bend a (Z) on the end, then romove the string and use your tweezers to install the wire. You don,t need to remove the RX. Replace the rubber band for control surface and your done. Can't wait to try it out. The weather right now is snow , so were headed back down celler and try another idea for some skis for this thing.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:33 AM
huttcraft

Look forward to seeing your skiis! Please post the results.

Dave
Old 12-20-2007, 12:44 PM
crashed out

Skis are done and I think they are going to work. As soon as the weather clears maybe saturday will try them out. If all goes well, I,ll try to get a picture on this thread. I took a plastic Nestles coco container, the one that is yellow 1LB size and cut 2 strips from the side. The container is a long oblong spape so the skies already have the upturn. If you go to the store and see the container it will make more sence. Then epoxyed a foam strip about a 1/2x1/2 x5 inch to each ski, Then took a refil from a ball point pen, took aprox 3/4 inch long and glued that through the foam as a bearing surface for the axle to go through. Now all you need to do is remove the wheel nut, take off the wheel, slide on the ski and replace the wheel nut The axle is just ahead of the center line of the ski so that when the plane lifts off the skis will lift up in the front and drop in the rear. I hope this helps explain a little bit and am sure there is plenty of room for improvement. I,ll keep you posted about how it works.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:52 AM
huttcraft

Hey Crashedout, how did the skis go? From your description I wasn't clear on how you were going to keep them from flopping around once airborne. Did you springload them to tip-up in the air? Or did you have to secure them at two points to give them a fixed angle of attack? Hope it worked out.

Dave