Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Australian BBQ and Beers - Part III

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Australian BBQ and Beers - Part III

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 03:19 AM
tam popo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Australian BBQ and Beers - Part III

PC, Crawf - went to pick wifey up and found a piece of Elapor on the ground, is it yours? Don't you tink the new owners of RCU would spend a little brass on fixing the problems, they've made enough in advertising revenue. It started as a non-profit making service for modellers but someone saw the revenue figures and snapped it up. If Big Bro is watching and reading take note - people vote with their feet and walk. We always have a choice.....
Thats the grouch for today - a little story here. new supermarket opened 2 years ago near me, its nice, but a puddle formed in the car park on second week and its always there. People have to walk around it frequently. Today (busiest day of year) the "puddle" is the size of a 500 space car park, and if you waked around it you'd be knackered. The other store down the road doesn't have a puddle, so who't going to be the busiest today? Machette's right, find the bloody problem and FIX it!!!!
Gawd, I feel better already.
Flying cancelled cos of puddles!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 04:28 AM
petercrawf

ORIGINAL: tam popo

PC, Crawf - went to pick wifey up and found a piece of Elapor on the ground, is it yours?
Hey Tam... the wind was coming from the east quite strong...I thought maybe Crawfs parts would have made it to Perth...not sure it would get to Glasgow...maybe...it was a big hit. Its not all bad news I salvaged bits off bro's EZ* wreck to fix his EZGlider electric which has a broken back and needs a nose job. Will post pictures of that one if my luck holds later with photo uploads.

Off to the workshop...finishing big toy box for the Grand kids...been working on it so long I've got 2 more now. Have been threatened to finish it or no flying tomorrow...wife has finally got me worked out...back to work...catch up later after I finish.

Pete
Old 12-28-2007, 04:34 AM
Andrew86

I really need to knuckle down and get started on my Gemini build (how is yours coming along BERTRC?), will be picking up a Hacker motor and ESC in the next few days and with a bit of luck it won't take too long to get the bird in the air. I'm off to Europe in 3 weeks today so i'm running out of time! Hope everyone had a great Christmas, i've been slightly distracted by Guitar Hero 3 the last few days, bloody addictive game.

My fleet:
#1 Ego Models Cessna 182
#2 E-flite Mini Pulse XT
#3 Multiplex EZ*
#4 Accipiter Badius/Formosa Copy
#5 Multiplex Gemini

Radio being used is a Spektrum DX6 DSM with AR6000 recievers

Cheers lads and nice work getting the new bbq up and running inflex
Old 12-28-2007, 05:11 AM
inflex

Andrew,

No problem with getting the BBQ going - when I lived in South Africa people would drop around completely out of the blue almost every weekend to have a 'braai' (BBQ) at my house... something I think to do with a large supply of drinks and food *hrmmm*.

Nothing much happening here today - lost more rain, temperature has now dropped down into the low 20's which is a delightful change to the high 30's before Christmas.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:24 AM
BERTRC

Hey All
Some pretty serious rebuilding required there Crawfs, or should that be destroyer Senior & Junior

Andrew, I have mine all but finished. I had an aluminium spinner I was going to fit but decided it was too heavy. I swapped it for a blue plastic one at Perth RC today but its so out of balance I cant run it at more than 75% throttle. I had to chop it a bit to get it to fit aruond the prop blades so I dont like my chances of returning it.

Heading up to Moore River tommorrow for a couple of days, maybe new year's so no flying. I haven't been there for about 25 years but I know it is always windy and there is some big sand dunes, I considered taking the Formosa copy to try some slope soaring but I wont have room in the car with all the crap we need to carry for my 2 year old son
Looks like a few quiet days swimming in the river/ocean and partaking in the odd cold beer

Bert
Old 12-28-2007, 06:32 AM
The_Mongrel

Hey All,

I hope everyone is well. Remember the airstrip I said I was gonna mow... Well it worked like a charm! It's a bit thin, so I will widen it out tomorrow. I even got the Bipe up and down about 6 times.

I had a really good session today.

3 batteries through the P51 without a single bent shaft - HOWEVER - the last flight the motor got too hot and melted the plastic mount and the motor pulled free mid flight. There was no way on getting this bird down safely I was in mid stall so I aimed for a small tree and thankfully - no damage. There is a new motor on the way anyways.

3 Batteries through the Cessna - last flight - during take off I drifted on my (too skinny) airstrip and hit the grass - she flipped and broke the new perspex motor mount. [:@][:@][:@]

2 Batteries through the bipe! No majors here... clipped a tree on a final approach - which was fun - but no damage.

ANDREW... are you running a brushless in your cessna?? Everytime I make a mount for this plane, I break it. What is your setup??

Cheers
-j
Old 12-28-2007, 06:33 AM
The_Mongrel

HEY OZ,

did you fly today??
Old 12-28-2007, 06:46 AM
ozrcboy

Yes mate - got some stick time on the Zero, RV4, EZ* and TREX - good day at Kambah - gentle 10km/hr nw breeze - easy...

What's going wrong with the p51 landings?

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:56 AM
The_Mongrel

ORIGINAL: ozrcboy

Yes mate - got some stick time on the Zero, RV4, EZ* and TREX - good day at Kambah - gentle 10km/hr nw breeze - easy...

What's going wrong with the p51 landings?

Cheers,
Oz.

Thats cool! Man it was calm here this morning. I of course was not awake enough to go fly in it - and by the time I got out there (after lunch) it was blowing a gale. I threw franky up and she just loves the wind! The extra weight this bird has makes it handle the breeze!

Landings - OK... well the problem is that the stock bird has the motor shaft in the gearbox - which is protected by a plastic housing, so it wont bend. But my setup has an outrunner turning a 9.4 prop. Now... with no landing gear this prop hits the ground no matter how you try and land this bird. The motor today got hot because I broke my 8" prop and was running the 9"[:'(]

I have ordered a folding Gaupner and some new motors... one of which will go in Franky. I need to reinforce the front a bit as Parkzones crappy plastic fuse is starting to show the signs of war.

I am so glad we threw this bird up that day! I am having so much fun with her. I have read so much bad press about this plane, but I have her running smooth and flat. And besides what they say, I can fly this bird really slow. You just don't push her nose up when she is slow... that is when you get into trouble.

AND GLITCH FRIGGIN FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Can you tell I am happy about that??
Old 12-28-2007, 07:09 AM
The_Mongrel

Hey Boys... something I forgot to mention...

When I picked up some stuff from my LHS he gave me a set of JR Sunglasses. THESE THINGS ROCK. If there were not so big - I would wear them driving. They take the glare out of everything and keep the flys out of your eyes.[:-] They are also designed so that when you look up, you can't see the frames. Well worth a look!

Cheers
-j
Old 12-28-2007, 08:55 AM
The_Mongrel

hey all,

I have a question for the Spektrum users....

What RXs are you using? I have 2 x AR6100's and I have enjoyed glitch free flying in 3 different planes. There seems to be some bad press with the 6100s but I have not had a problem - YET - Just curious what others are using??

Cheers
-J
Old 12-28-2007, 05:42 PM
machette

Jake nailed me again yesterday with his EZ.....I've never heard him laugh so hard .......he was nearly hysterical and then while I was landing my crippled girl he nearly took us both out with his EZ .....I felt the wind off her as she skimmed over my head.
The noise from the collision was just like a cricket ball off willow but only damage was my port wing was knocked back so hard and compressed it left a ripple finish on the trailing edge (fixed now)

Then I took the MUS out after the kids left last night and was having a great fly in zero wind.........unfortunately the motor suddenly started making odd gravelly noises and seemed to be worse with throttle (think the retaining circlip came off the back and the shaft was moving out of the housing with throttle).....I had no height at the time and complicated by no breeze I stalled her into the ground while trying to get back onto the field ..........usual firewall broken out, U/C off, wing tore the mounts out of the fuse.....but wing is untouched damage wise......she will aquadhere back together easily but I would have liked to be out there right now but i don't have an aileron plane left []

What's a good motor choice for these MUSs??.....mines had the EMax 2215/25 (think it's 1040kv bleary).....but I don't trust the bearings in these things and have had the bearing or circlip pull out of two others before.
Maybe a Hyperion motor or something.....poor economy to be putting a doomed to failure motor on her .......I'm using the republican approach to my MUS, any issues at all just throw money at it

Mong, I'm on a DX6 ......well committed with 6 receivers now (xmas pressies).....just need the planes to go with them .....I had major problems with 27meg parkflyer stuff and was in to 2.4gigHz before I got out of ElectraFuns .....I just skipped 36meg after listening to the guys here.

I have to tell you about boxing day....twas our turn with all the kids and family......everyone was arriving at my daughters property around 11am so Jake and I set up our chargers and spares in the shed next to the drive .....daughters house behind us and Llanelly field in front.
We were just stooging around doing ground slapping maneouvers in practise for a run at the dam and generally trying not to hit each other (for a change)
After flying for a while I realised everyone had arrived and we had quite a crowd watching us.......flew off two and a bit batteries each and kept them amused.....then we launched the MM with Jake at the controls and when he took her straight up and then shut down for a spectacular fall out ....the battery must have fallen in the back as imediately she became the porpoise .......Jakes yelling at me to take her!! and both of us are laughing so much and I telling him it's his problem not mine!!!....and still she is going all over the sky.....he got her down sorta, got her down low under throttle and then dumped/stall her onto the ground arse first.......said he couldn't see anymore for the tears from laughing.
The crowd thought we were nuts I think.......not one of them knew an aileron was, let alone CoG, so we didn't even bother to explain.
My brother however, who didn't even know I had a RC plane, was most most interested in this special little private connection grandfather and grandson seem to have now .....thanks guys
My sister who is a practising yuppie still had four family members there and four handycams running......what can I say.....she has a McMansion on St Kilda esplanade opposite the marina (THE address).....and not one square inch of dirt showing on the block ...need I tell you we are chalk and cheese .....this is the same women I once invited on a trip up the York and her excuse for not coming was her need of a manicurist every few days when she's in the tropics.

It was an interesting day of catching up that's for sure ....and I think I'm just broken the thread record for dribble[8D]
Old 12-28-2007, 06:06 PM
machette

Strangley come out of xmas not as financially crippled as I thought I would be ....... so I thought I might buy another MUS...and run two so I don't need to walk away when I'm just starting to get into it

here's my to do bench or should I call it my whooops bench
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73783.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	835924  
Old 12-28-2007, 06:15 PM
ozrcboy

Eflite 480 is a good match for power and weight on MUS Machette. If you don't want your budget to stretch that far perahps take a look at UH website. Their range of motors is just staggering.

I've tried a couple now and haven't been unhappy. Generally not quite as effeicient as nice himark/eflite motoros etc, but at half the cost or less...
Old 12-28-2007, 06:29 PM
machette

duh!.....now I have it .....United Hobbies .......I nearly blew a fuse here trying to remember what UH is

Thanks Oz...I'll go do some research [8D]

I'm heading for the smoke (melb) on sunday arvo and will be down there thru New Year on the east side.....I should try and nail a MUS and two motors from the same shop on monday.....better get on the phone before stumps today and see who has what....might start with Roj who I sold me the 4W Typhoon BL at the start when I knew little .....he's a gent who believes in starting with the right stuff .......I'll get him on the blower and see what he has
Old 12-28-2007, 11:48 PM
The_Mongrel

Machette - Sounds like you have been having fun!

Myself Oz, and 2 of our friends (Adam and Nathan) hit Kambah at 11am today. What a great day of flying. I took my Cessna, P51 and Biplane and flew all 3. Nearly had a head on with Oz's EZ* with my P51. Was probably 30cm in it! WHEW!!!

Oz had the Zero, EZ and even the T-Rex got a run!

It was a bit breezy - but I loved it!

Nathan maidened the Cessna 206T's that I am bringing in from OS, and it flew really well... Considering he has never flown an Aileron wing before.

Thanks OZ... was a good day had by all.

Cheers
-J
Old 12-29-2007, 12:26 AM
inflex

Working on the NQRC shed/office here again... more shelving - I wonder if it'll ever end *laugh*.

The newly installed 250mm 240V extractor fan 'works' but it's not really contributing anything to the overall comfort of the shed *darn*. Looks like I still need to go forth and find a whole lot of 20mm thick foam to line the ceiling with.

Just working on more and more electronics here, building up some more lost-model-alarms and lipo low-voltage-alarms but also starting to design a new radio-beacon lost-model-alarm for those times when the plane has gone beyond audiable range (which sadly does happen a bit too often )

Paul.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:42 AM
Andrew86

Mongrel, I'm using a Hacker A20-30M outrunner, i bought it before i knew about cheaper alternatives and despite it costing 70 dollars it's a seriously good motor. Very quiet, very efficient and i get aaaages out of the batteries - that's why i'm using Hacker in the Gemini i'm building. The mount, i found a drill bit for drilling large holes, i think the diameter of the bit must have been close to an inch (it was the same diameter as the brushed 480 motor. I drilled several holes in any old piece of wood and used the circular piece of wood that came out as a mount, i glued several of them back to back to add strength and then glued the resulting cylinder into the plastic stock mount, then mounted the included X mount to that. It sounds complicated but it really isn't. The plane is at my mate's place so i can't take a pic, but hope that made sense.

Having just cleared cleared the MasterCard i'm off to the hobby shop to get a motor - and maybe get a haircut, but the hobby comes first of course.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:07 AM
inflex

Andrew,

Become like me... grow your hair long and only shave once a month Saves a surprising amount of money actually.

Paul.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:31 AM
bleary

Machette,nice story on the Xmas flights.Like Oz said,the 480 is a good match for the MUS.I have put mine back onto mine (the MUS) after using a heavier,more powerful UH motor.It was great fun,but meant taking the wing off every battery change because the thing was nose heavy with the 50% heavier motor.The 480 will give good vert and thrust with an 11 or 12 inch prop.
Regarding Spectrum Rx's,I have 2x6200,1x7000 and one 6100...all have been bulletproof so far,the 6100 is nice and small,but apparently does not like voltage dips due to inadequate BEC's,have had no dramas so far though on my Gemini with 4 small digital servos...touch wood.
Hope everyone had a great Xmas,I recieved a flash new camping chair for my upcoming fishing trip which I may utilise for EZ* flights like the Crawf's do
Too windy here for flying,but heading to Darwin for a few days on Monday,wondering whether to try and pack a plane...
Maybe the MUS eh?? hmnn.
Cheers,
Bleary.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:25 AM
ozrcboy

All seriousness bleary - how do you fit a plane in?
Old 12-29-2007, 03:26 AM
The_Mongrel

ORIGINAL: Andrew86

Mongrel, I'm using a Hacker A20-30M outrunner, i bought it before i knew about cheaper alternatives and despite it costing 70 dollars it's a seriously good motor. Very quiet, very efficient and i get aaaages out of the batteries - that's why i'm using Hacker in the Gemini i'm building. The mount, i found a drill bit for drilling large holes, i think the diameter of the bit must have been close to an inch (it was the same diameter as the brushed 480 motor. I drilled several holes in any old piece of wood and used the circular piece of wood that came out as a mount, i glued several of them back to back to add strength and then glued the resulting cylinder into the plastic stock mount, then mounted the included X mount to that. It sounds complicated but it really isn't. The plane is at my mate's place so i can't take a pic, but hope that made sense.

Having just cleared cleared the MasterCard i'm off to the hobby shop to get a motor - and maybe get a haircut, but the hobby comes first of course.
Andrew - That is as clear as MUD!!! Can you get me a pic at all??

Cheers
-J

PS: Grow your hair and buy more parts!! I bought a motor today... not because I needed it... but because I MIGHT need it!
Old 12-29-2007, 03:34 AM
The_Mongrel

ORIGINAL: bleary

Regarding Spectrum Rx's,I have 2x6200,1x7000 and one 6100...all have been bulletproof so far,the 6100 is nice and small,but apparently does not like voltage dips due to inadequate BEC's,have had no dramas so far though on my Gemini with 4 small digital servos...touch wood.
Bleary...

I too have heard that the 6100s can be a bit iffie with low voltage but I am running two of them. One in my 3 servo Cessna - and also running it in my 2 servo P51D without issue. Have also been running it the bipe that runs 4 servos and also no problem. No glitches no nuttin. The ESC's I run are the Ewatts Pentiums. I have never had a single problem - They are reasonable priced and are fully programmable.

I am about to buy a 6200 to keep in the Bipe and run the 6100s in the P51 and Cessna.

BLEARY - have you ever had a lockup or shutdown with Spektrum??

EDIT - My servos are normal not digi!
Old 12-29-2007, 03:38 AM
bleary

ORIGINAL: ozrcboy

All seriousness bleary - how do you fit a plane in?
Well being Darwin,I don't need too many clothes,the MUS breaks down to wings,tail and fuse,should fit in a case with my Tx,lipos and charger eh? In all reality a wing that could compress would be ideal,made out of dense "memory" foam,so that you could squish it into a toothpaste tube,and then squeeze it out at the oval....I wish...
Thinking I could take everything but a bare airframe,then find something to suit up there? will have to see about that.
Cheers,
Bleary.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:15 AM
bleary

ORIGINAL: The_Mongrel

ORIGINAL: bleary

Bleary...

I too have heard that the 6100s can be a bit iffie with low voltage but I am running two of them. One in my 3 servo Cessna - and also running it in my 2 servo P51D without issue. Have also been running it the bipe that runs 4 servos and also no problem. No glitches no nuttin. The ESC's I run are the Ewatts Pentiums. I have never had a single problem - They are reasonable priced and are fully programmable.

I am about to buy a 6200 to keep in the Bipe and run the 6100s in the P51 and Cessna.

BLEARY - have you ever had a lockup or shutdown with Spektrum??

EDIT - My servos are normal not digi!
John,I have had no trouble so far,but some users have reported issues with 4 digital or high torque servos on the 6100.I think it is mainly on 3D ships that are loading up servos big time.4 standard servos should be fine,but any binding linkage may also cause issues if it contributes to a servo load that is over the ESC's BEC rating on a hot day.....in short,I wouldn't worry about it unless you are running 4x65 size servos on a BEC that is less than 3amp on a plane that has large servo loads....I'm just paranoid,but I haven't had any trouble with the 6100 with 4 small digitals on the Gemini with a Easy 40 amp ESC(lately changed to a switch Bec UH 40amper)
Bleary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.