Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Do you let friends fly your planes?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum
View Poll Results: A poll
Of course...no worries
23.84%
they break it they buy it
20.35%
Not on your life...get your own!!
28.49%
certain planes but not my favorite
27.33%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Do you let friends fly your planes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:39 PM
reaperofsoulz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do you let friends fly your planes?

ORIGINAL: Jagzilla

Wow, so with no experience at all as a pilot, you hand him the controls of a Spitfire. Interesting.
Jag
sure did...its the plane i started with and learned on so i figured hey, also like mentioned he had sim time and that day was ready to fly his much more expensive, much more time built EDF Jet so i figured if he was going to fly that plane mine would be a snap.lol Like someone says a few posts up "If you hand them the controls you must think they have the skills to fly it." turns out i thought wrong and he did too.

Update on Miss Mae Bell I : The wing was stripped to straight foam and CA glued to near original condition..it looked good. The plastic cowl was new and the frame was epoxied. Im using the term "was" because she crashed again, mostly because she was nose heavy. Thats where the damage and repairs were so the epoxy that fixed the fuselage along with the fact my buddy had a bigger lipo than I ever had in there before really just weighed that front end down. It was more of a practice flight than anything since the wing was pure foam when we took it out and the fuse was covered in packing tape. We were just eager to see her fly again and whats that saying...haste makes waste. The wing snapped in half again only inches from the original crack(at least the CA held) as well as the plastic cowl shattering and the frame and motor mount cracking once again. more work to be done
Old 01-29-2008, 03:41 PM
mad web tv scientist

reaperofsoulz, yes and no, I'm with you 100 percent about beautiful scale warbirds. Nobody but me will ever fly my warbirds, period! However, at this point in my R/C flying career all of my current aircraft (except two pristine condition "uncrashed machines") are intended to be used for flight by my prospective new modeler flying friends.

Structural and aerodynamic modifications on my motor powered gliders ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_69...tm.htm#6918798 ) make impressively slow flight (in mild conditions) that is useful for training beginners very practical. Some of the modifications also provide all the maneuvering capabilities I will ever desire to fly with my future warbirds. I intend to collect as many new warbirds as can be reasonably fit into budget and space considerations.

The "lions share" of my flying time tends to be in "floating" soaring flight with only brief "warbird maneuvering flying" thrown in just for fun. The main use of the warbirds in my case will be socialization with modeling/history/culture enthusiasts. If conversations start infringing on flying time I usually invite the conversationalists out into the field with me and talk while flying - works great.

Warbirds will serve mainly as conversation pieces and "art" to be enjoyed with little actual flying - they are much too valuable to risk except for "special occasion flying." My main flying passion will always tend to be the joy of "SOARING WITH EAGLES."

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:44 PM
TerryE
My Feedback: (12)

Most of my friends are better flyers than I am

I always get a friend to maiden a new plane... then I can just watch and enjoy its first flight.

Most of my planes are cheap foamies (most of them I built myself from plans and FFF), so if they get squished, no biggie.

If it was an expensive plane, I would probably really consider the friends ability before letting them fly.

My general rule is (for non-FFF planes): If I ask them to fly for me, then I take the consequenses... if it crashes, I take full blame and bear the cost. If THEY ask to fly it, and crash it, then they fix / replace it.

just my $0.02

TE
Old 01-29-2008, 05:34 PM
reaperofsoulz

i hear ya madscientist, the first time i flew my Spitfire in a different area of the park (nicer grass for landing) there were a few people around and the old fellas were more than happy to chat it up about old planes and such. good fun, can't beat the look of a scale speed warbird soaring through the sky. Its good to see my poll, which was my first post here on rcu, is up to 450 views and quite a few poll votes....lets keep the vote alive
Old 01-31-2008, 01:42 PM
kzimmerman

Some planes were not meant for beginners. I would gladly let a newbie fly one of the aerohogs, or even something like my rascal 40 on a trainer chord. I would not let them fly any of my quarter scale stuff, especially the cessna 310, or the ducted fans, or the warbirds, or even the few sport trainers I've got. It was irresponsible to allow a nebie to fly a hotdoger like a spitfire, and then expect him to buy it. Our rule around here is, if it's your's, it's yours. Nobody asks to fly anothers plane, you just offer. If it crashes, oh well. If your not comfortable with that, don't offer. I have several flying buddies. One will never fly a plane of mine, and another one can fly anything I've got, whenever. It's just the way it is.
Kurt
And why isn't there a "It depends on the friend" vote?
Old 02-12-2008, 04:59 PM
reaperofsoulz

[&:] haha easy tiger...sounds like someone crashed one of your planes before too. It wasnt irresponsible of me at all to let him fly my plane and don't try and talk directly to me since you have no idea about the details...this is a poll about a general question no need to go looney toons and try to get personal. I wont bother to go into the details, cause i dont care anymore as much as this guy. you break it you buy it is my policy, you ave a right to the my plane is my plane and be greedy not letting anyone fly...myself i wanted to let a friend enjoy the rc experience and he new the risks. Heck since this all of a sudden became a subject again he just won a lot of 6 spitfires off ebay. Some parts some not, were now fiberglassing the bodys and putting better equipment in there...no need to even worry about crashes now.

everyone relax........[:-]
Old 02-13-2008, 01:25 PM
crashed out
My Feedback: (1)

Sure why not ,they make new ones everyday!
Old 02-13-2008, 05:16 PM
mad web tv scientist

[X(] reaperofsoulz, funny how I missed the profundity in your post signature until now! You have really nailed the addictive emotional high that is keeping me so busy with my R/C projects that - who knows when I will ever be able to get my "CALL TO GLORY" web site construction work mission accomplished.

Those in modeling who have become a legend in their own mind are in for some really special fun if I can ever get on top of things. If this upcoming web site is done properly everyone except the most incorrigible modeling enthusiasts among "us" should be able to laugh a lot (LOL) at themselves.

Flying with a sense of terror under control with some uncertainty of what could happen (as a result of past "flying surprises"), a false sense of calm security about our great flying accomplishments can cause us to us feel rather euphoric. This "escape from reality" can be enhanced by continually trying new flying and related challenges. One of my greatest challenge here in "Pagan Oregon" is the creation of "sustainable new modelers!"

GIVE 'EM THE GUN!

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:11 PM
99Tarbox

ORIGINAL: crashed out

Sure why not ,they make new ones everyday!
Friends or aircraft?

I might let someone fly my 3 channel trainer but once I get serious aircraft I wouldn't let anyone fly it unless they were ready to replace it in like condition.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:54 PM
reaperofsoulz

hey mad scientist!!! that quote is from the late great Wilbur Wright...funny how he could capture the emotional experience of flight so well in so few words even way back when. His full quote has a few words i took out becase they dont allow the sig to be long enough to even quote the authors name at the end. I'd check out your website when its done just post up a link
Old 02-13-2008, 09:58 PM
sportrider_fz6

I have let my Wife and Dad try and fly my Super Cub, but I took off got it about 600+ feet in the air and then passed the TX. as soon as I felt like they weren't controlling the plane I grabbed the TX back and landed the plane. I voted NO, but I guess under those conditions and only with my SC(not because I don't like the plane, but because it's the easiest plane I own to fly)I'd say maybe. otherwise absolutely NO!!! don't even ask.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:55 PM
ozrcboy

Seeing as the topic seems to have some legs...

With apologies to Borat "Giving the controls of a spitfire to a beginner is like giving a gun to a monkey..., this has not been done in my country since the great Monkey Zoo massacre of 1967". People are allowed to take their own risks, but as an instructor/teacher/expert you can only expose them to it if you have their **informed** consent. Otherwise you have failed in your duty of care (ethically and legally).

Now, seeing as that has no doubt got some hackles up I think I might really go for good flamebait. Most fibreglassing of parkflyers is unnecessary, adds weight, makes the aircraft less flyable and more dangerous, and makes almost zero difference to crash dynamics. There is a reason that apaches have less armour than M1A1 and it's not because the pilots have a larger life insurance policy and great faith in the lord... build your aircraft to fly not to crash. It is not possible to make an aircraft, that flies under its own sustained power, so strong it can crash from flying speed without damage...
Old 02-17-2008, 08:41 AM
dirtjumpdaniel

no
Old 02-19-2008, 02:42 PM
mad web tv scientist

[8D] reaperofsoulz, it's great to be able to build on the inspirational ideals of aviation's heroes. We can sense their motivating force and in at least some emotional level share in the best of aviation's adventures.

Chuck Yeager stated in his autobiography that "combat is the ultimate flying experience." Hopefully, none of us will ever experience the nightmare producing sheer terror of real combat in the air. One RAF ace who flew a Spit during the Battle of Britain admitted that he still suffers from nightmares decades later - being a hero can be very costly.

Yeager discusses the "value of fear" a lot in his book. No doubt that "Butcher Bird" that shot him out of the sky "helped mold" his personality as a pilot. His writing style is noticeably different from his fellow ace test pilot buddy " Bud" Anderson who expends little ink on bailing out, etc. Yeager reminds us that it is always the one that you don't see that gets you. Although he does not come right out and say it, the strong implication seems to be that "properly controlled fear actually intensifies the exciting exhilaration in do or die combat." So, the very talented, superior eye sight, mechanically inclined, and very "fortunate," Chuck Yeager could honestly make such an outrageous statement about combat in his case.

Because of my particular "niche" in modeling I am forced to grudgingly agree with our fun flying Aussie. Smaller, slower, lighter, etc., has always been my emphasis to minimize dangers in modeling. See "A WING AND A PRAYER" http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...INGANDAPRAYER/ I have actually made a lot of progress with "virtually indestructible" Control-Line aerobatics models that fly over grass. Although my modified R/C motor powered gliders are highly "crash resistant" (?) there is always that sense of terror when I start on a new "mission." Yes, all of this helps intensify the excitement of flying. Sharing this insanity with others adds to the addiction - there is no hope for a cure!

Yes, there is no doubt that Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be upon us when we respond to our CALL TO GLORY!

Old 02-19-2008, 03:36 PM
djcarld

I had a buddy that just started flying, and he wanted to fly my Herr Air Boss. (My favorite plane.) I know a 3ch trainer is a good plane to start with, but of course I told him NO !! I did let him fly my Aero Ace, which is pretty indestructable. He saved up some money, and I ordered him a 3ch SDM Piper Cub for his OWN plane.

Videos of my Air Boss......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH2vgRL6DAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoldivDHyGo
Old 02-19-2008, 10:59 PM
reaperofsoulz

djcarld ... those are nice videos of the Air Boss, flys like a champ

as for the ill informed aussie ozrcboy you have got to be kidding me?! First the only thing correct about your anti glassing a parkflyer statment is that it could add some weight depending on how thick a mat you use and how many layers (i have a fiberglass cloth now that is so thin and light i could coat the entire plane and not even add an ounce) uhh what else was in your ramblings, oh yes "less flyable and more dangerous" all i have to say to that is they already make and sell fiberglass planes straight from huge factories that fly great and can be considered no more dangerous than anything else with a motor strapped to it that flys through the air. The final and most laughable of your comments is that the crash dynamics are the same, where common sense and my own experiences prove you wrong yet again. Common sense should tell you that if you slam a piece of plastic and foam into the ground at 30+ you will be picking up foam and plastic pieces and taking them straight to the garbage. Common sense should then tell you that if that same plane was protected in a layer of S glass (A magnesia-alumina-silicate glass for aerospace applications with high tensile strength) then that damage would have been GREATLY REDUCED.
Now for the fun stuff proving you have no ground to stand on here and for some reason want to try and get personal...so bring it. I had only 2 hard belly landings with my brand new stock foam stryker and the entire motor mount area was ripping off as well as broken wing tips and totally demolished nose as well as busted up a servo. This same plane (look for a full write up and pictures in "How to build a bulletproof stryker") was then layered with s-glass, carbon fiber and Kevlar...a total 27oz bird (only added about 5 oz. there smarty, the difference between a 1450mah battery and a 3800mah). She flys now with STOCK electronics having no weight issues at all and flys great with amazing manuevability. The added fiberglass actually stiffened the entire structure making it more rigid and MORE responsive in flight. Due to the one servo that i didnt replace failing after a few flights this bird did about a 100ft dive into thick hard reeds and cam out without a scratch and i mean i couldnt even find a single scratch where if this plane had not been protected by fiberglass it would have been absolutely destroyed. The confidence level between flying this plane and a stock foamy are night and day...not a care in the world whether or not i'm going to have weeks of down time because of some minor accident. If that alone doesnt make you know your roll and shut your mouth then even another example is my buddys Twister jet was shipped with the wrong motor and was to weak to fly...not knowing this we hand launched right into a nose dive nearly sticking the plane straight out of the grass...broken nose you say? not since he was smart enough to put some fiberglass on there first, what did break was the wing...a foam piece of the plane which barely made contact with anything.
....point is if you dont know what your talking about, dont try and talk about it here.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:10 AM
mad web tv scientist

[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif] dicarid, good show! I got so focused on "warbirds" and my preference of motor powered gliders that I was guilty of what fighter pilots refer to as "target fixation." You slipped in on my six for a perfect kill!

I should have qualified my "indestructible" comments on my last post. I am actually so impressed with Air Hogs Aero Ace that as soon as I can buy their new three channel "Fury" I will do so in sheer appreciation for the virtually indestructible qualities of their Aero Ace.

The thread url for the way I use the Aero Ace is: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_59...tm.htm#5955265

I will try harder to get things right the next time. I may have a wrong concept about the structural capabilities of the larger size PF warbirds that I plan to procure. I have already determined that any destroyed warbirds will be replaced by new ones. If they can be made to hold together better than I think they will, that would be a big plus. I may end up flying them more than I now think will be the case.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:28 AM
djcarld

Mad,
Have you seen the prices at nitroplanes. They have EP RTF 4ch warbirds there for $82.00 + !!!!!! I am a big fan of the Airhogs planes too.

i fly a Aero Ace Sport.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:31 PM
mad web tv scientist

dicarid, how do you like your Aero Ace Sport compared to the Aero Ace?

Thanks for the warbird info. There is a lot of neat warbird and historical info on the site, some of which I was not aware of. I wonder if anybody out there knows the whole story about that first Zero test pilot discussed on the site who was killed?

As a PF warbird enthusiast with the desire to accumulate a respectable number of aircraft for my "flying warbird museum," I am in the market for airplanes with looks and performance compairable to soulz' Spitfire - yes, of course, a sample of that Spit will be included. Mainly for safety reasons, etc., as previously discussed, my modeling "niche" requires that only the largest size PF warbirds will be used.

Thanks again for your input.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:58 PM
mad web tv scientist

reaperofsoulz, your Spitfire adventures started a fire that now has me enjoying my own Spitter like nothing else before! Not only do I find the ship stunningly scale but it also has capabilities I find to be really amazing. I am still not totally comfortable with the "programming" system but If nothing blows up or dies prematurely maybe I understand it well enough.

Sure would like to read about your adventures with the "Miss Mae Bell II" if you got her in the air. I am doing some things with my Spit you might find to be useful with yours. More detail is found on the "Spitfire thread" [KILLER SPITFIRE]. By using lighter LiPos I am able to fly significantly slower which might be just what you may need to clearly read your bird's name on a flyby.

I am looking forward to doing a lot of flying and writing about the Spitfire along with related matters and hope to be able to vicariously enjoy your as well other's modeling adventures with the Spitfire.
LOL every time I think about "wedgewing's post on your thread. There are surely a lot more stories like that one out there by now.

Here's hoping you will scramble with the rest of the Spitfire squadron to meet the Hun in the sun!

Old 06-11-2008, 10:55 AM
the belgian

If i would let friends fly my planes?No way!
I fly the Parkzone Supermarine Spitfire Mk2(out of the box version) and look at it as my plane with me as it's pilot.
So when something happens to the plane the only one i can blame is myself.
It's a good way to keep your friends your friends...

(the noseart refers to my wife,who's a wicca(white witch)and we all call her Titi)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56772.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	968608  
Old 06-11-2008, 11:11 AM
mcmcintyre

I have a Kadet Senior and a Parkzone T-28 that I will let others fly. My other planes are for me and a very select few to fly. I look at loaning an airplane to someone the same as loaning money to a friend or family member. I only do it if I am willing to never get it back.......
Old 06-14-2008, 07:56 AM
djcarld

Mad,

I can't really compare the two. The AA Sport is my first Aero Ace plane, so it's thw only AA I've ever flown. I like the looks of the 3ch Air Hogs plane too. I am thinking about a Firebird Phantom to teach friends to fly with, since it's RTF and only $60.00.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:37 PM
mad web tv scientist

dicarld, your approach to flight training looks great. It turns out that the "three Channel" Fury only has two channels. When the "blip elevator control" is used "directional control" cannot be used at the same time and vice versa. A "real three channel airplane" like the Firebird Phantom is a far better choice after some AA training. Had the Fury been available at the beginning of my R/C flight training career I would have chosen it instead of the AA as my first serious trainer.

Having said all that however, I personally prefer to use the dandy AA with beginners. If they begin complaining about wind performance and the maddening absence of useful elevator control as I did, my best possible recommended strategy for their challenge to master the sky is to by all means, buy a Fury.

My Fury flies best after first test gliding it by heaving it into the wind as hard as possible. The wings must be "bend adjusted" so that the plane will not turn either way during a hard hand launch. Once trimmed out the Fury can handle a surprising amount of wind and can provide some really neat flying performance capabilities.

Nobody but me flies my favorite "somewhat fragile" scale airplanes. In fact, until I become a little more proficient as a "scale model airplane pilot" I don't even like to fly them around spectators very much. My favorite demonstrators are modified motor powered gliders that are very useful modeling promoters. I enjoy them the most for R/C introduction/flight training purposes with possible new modeling prospects.

My modeling promoting agenda strategies seem to be working. I am now seriously looking forward to eventually being able to log on to threads and communicate via e-mail with fun flyers that, up til now, tend to be "mysteriously" blocked off.

PROGRESS IS INEVITABLE!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:33 AM
west6008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets kids fly your trainer any chance you can, it might keep
them off dope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.