Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

slow stick maiden flight

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 12:34 PM
oly_rcer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slow stick maiden flight

well finally got my slow stick together,was actually pretty easy left it mostly stock and didnt make any changes yet,took it to the local park and put the wing on,set it down and into the slight breeze1(1-2mph) and got ready to take off for the 1st time,full throttle and 3 feet later it starts to rise,slight left stick and wooohooo its in the air,couple of slow circles to get use to it and then a couple of touch and go,wow this thing is easy to fly so i'm doing some great figure 8's and turns,bring her in and land, perfect maiden flight.
had a slight accident(not me lol) and broke a prop and bent rudder.some quick epoxy and a new prop and i'm back in the air again.
this time i feel braver get some altitude and try a loop,wow 7 loops later she's getting a bit low so i pull out to a climb and try some stall turns and dives,wow is all i can say what a great first plane to learn again on,been 20-25 yrs since i flew and that was an old piper cub trainer,this thing is easy flew bout 15-20 min on 1 batt pack.when i started the batt had 12.7 volts,after 15 min of flight i had 11.7 volts some good runtime and still had plenty left.think i can get 25-30 min runs.the plane is stock,2 hs65 servos,a esky brushed esc(thanks arrow)ar6100 and is on my dx7.oh yeah since the only batts i had were my trex 2300 15c lipos i thought i would try them.at 195 grams thats a bit of weight.no probs the plane flies like it dosent even feel the weight so i can get double use out of my heli batts heheheh.this is fun
Old 01-26-2008, 04:45 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Default RE: slow stick maiden flight

Great maiden, oly. The SS is a truly great plane. Her's a trick for you. Get hold of a spare parts tree and mount the wheels up by the motor. It makes it far more challenging to nose over.

Tim
Old 01-26-2008, 08:37 PM
tam popo

Oly-rcer - congrats on the maiden. When you said the plane/motor is stock, which motor is it, the 370 geared or the 400 you get in the states? And what is the lipo, I take it its a 3S with that voltage etc. the only thing you need to watch out for is burning the 370 out, they have a short life on 11.1 3S I've been told. I and quite a few others use 7.4v 2S (mine 1000 to 1500 Mah). Anyway, a good flight was had. Byeee...
Old 01-27-2008, 12:39 AM
oly_rcer

the motor is the 400 stock and the batts are 2200 15c 3s yeah figgure the motor wont last long but i also have an estarter and figgure i'll get 2 b/l motors and 2 b/l esc's as for batts the estarter can use the 1000 3s batts so i'll get extras and use them for both planes,although i like the runtime of the 2200's the 1000's are less than half the weight(the 2200 are 195grams each.this plane is really fun once you get use to it.i was doing flips and some nice stalls and recoverys,somehow its much easier throwing around this 40.00 plane than my 1000.00 trex lolololo i would highly recommend this for anyone looking for a trainer.and thx for the tip on the landing gear will try it cause everytime i landed it would almost come to a stop then nose over lol.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:57 AM
tam popo

Oly Rcer - I'll give you 2 months before you change to b/less!! FernD and myself and nearly everyon I know has done it, its cheap, powerful, ues smaler lipos (less weight), longer flight times etc - the list goes on. What I like is the fact that you can use a folding prop/spinner about 9 x 5 and not worry about breakages!!! You can even prop hang/hover using the right set-up. It also lets you build some down-thrust into the motor angle, aiding flight attitude. Here's a pic of mine........see you later.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb22016.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	862192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bn68068.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	862193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge65683.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	862194  
Old 01-27-2008, 03:01 AM
tam popo

Forgot to mention, I've been using a 400 brushed in an EZ* on 3S 2200 and now transferred to a cut down Stryker - not had one blip of trouble from that little sucker!!! Oh, and don't eat beans the night before flying.......
Old 01-27-2008, 12:28 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey old friend! Now I am gonna hafta one up you when we get together again. Glad to hear your flight went so well. I am eager to get some vids of both of ours. Your 2200mAh battery sounds like the ticket. I may end up using my TREX battery too.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 01-27-2008, 02:33 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Oly, here's a link to a great source for brushless gear. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_index.asp I have a 2408-21 1745kv motor on my SS. Have fun

Tim

Here is how I have mine set up. Tim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14242.jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	862577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70240.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	862578  
Old 01-28-2008, 08:10 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Well, I saw Oly's SS in action. His was set up with alot more throw in both ELE and RUD. Mine was barely flyable compared to his. I have since changed the servo arms to longer ones and increased the throw considerably. Next weekend I am hoping for my test flight with the Improved control!
I did get a chance to fly oly's after his first trip out. Heres a link to the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrhYCmbKgzs

And yes...he is already ready for a brushless setup.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 01-29-2008, 12:50 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Heres the second video taken from that day........ Should be at least one or 2 more......will post links as they finish uploading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5zWYY7i3Uw