Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27C Stryker or Firebird Freedom?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27C Stryker or Firebird Freedom?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:52 PM
aircraftking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F27C Stryker or Firebird Freedom?

Maybe others here can give me some opinions about which plane to get. First, I have 3 planes right now but they are all only 2ch. I got an EPP plane, then 2 others which are not EPP, fairly large and are breakable. I can fly them pretty good, surprised how much fun they actually are. Now I am looking to step up to something bigger and more powerful. I will be picking one up this weekend from my local hobby shop, I am heavily looking at the firebird freedom. The problem I have is, after seeing the F27C in action, I am thinking I may outgrow the freedom pretty quick and want this one instead. I know the F27 is not a beginner plane. I would not say I am a beginner, but pretty close to it I guess. Having only flown those 2ch planes, but many, many times and in fairly high winds, nearing 10mph. I can land without much of a problem now and fly without crashing. I know I am at a stage where I am certainly ready to move up and at very least a 3ch plane. I also was eyeing out the super cub but think I may prefer the freedom instead, not sure on this though. Anyway, maybe someone who has the F27 can give me some opinions. I am fully aware that it is an extremely fast plane and is 4ch control. My question, is it possible to fly it at slow speeds so I can feel it out and get the hang of it? I don't want to go fast, not right now, I just want a nice smooth clean flight without doing any aerobat manuvers are anything. Later once I get comfortable with the plane, yes I will want to do some of those blazing fly bys. In the end, to sum all of this up, would I get the freedom for now, then later the F27? Or should I pass on both of those and pickup the super cub? The hobby shop swears by the super cub but comparing it to the freedom its similar but the design of the freedom appears it will give better performance. Last question, anyone know how the fly zone sky fly is? Any of these planes are a major step up from what I have been flying.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:42 PM
simmo8

Default RE: F27C Stryker or Firebird Freedom?

i have been flying for 3 years and for the last 18 months i have been flying a typhoon 3d and i am just considering to step up to a stryker f27C i havent flown 1 yet but before that i would get the super cub over the freedom because you can easily upgraid the engine and put ailerons on it as you get better. ask the guys at the hobby shop for there advice.

good luck and happy flying

simmo
Old 01-29-2008, 10:30 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

King, after flying and modding aces I stepped up to 3 ch. First up was a red hawk, an aerobird clone, that was a bad decision and the plane is still sitting here. The cub is a 27mghtz plane, that means that a car controller could shoot you down, or an ace controller. I would start here http://www.servocity.com/html/laser_4_fm_systems.html and get a package that includes 3 servos. Hs 55 the minmum and an rx . Then look at the slow stick. That get's you to around $90. OK, just get the radio, Then look around. I think you can get a slow stick in the air for around the same price as an f27c. Your age will make a difference. Younger pilots, that grew up on nintendo seem to fair better with the stryker. As an aside, the "c" version uses standard electronics.

Tim
Old 01-29-2008, 10:55 PM
RedGN

why don't you try something in between like th eaerobird swift. It's a three channel but with ailerons.

And it's durable.

Goodluck
Old 01-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Leo L

Your local hobby shop hit the nail on the head!!! Without any doubt, the SuperCub is the best choice for you. Its a great beginner plane, but has enough power to be enjoyable to intermediate flyers as well. Also, as Simmo wrote, you can do numerous upgrades to it. The only other plane that comes close to it is the Multiplex EasyStar, but I don't like it because it doesn't have landing gear, doesn't look like a real plane, and parts are not stocked by local hobby shops. As far as the radio in the SuperCub, its the same radio system that is used in almost all of the HobbyZone and many of the ParkZone products. If you will be flying in an area or at a time when there is likely to be interference, you can always buy your own radio gear for it. I believe that you can buy and assemble the SuperCub out of the spare parts, without radio, for around $90.

I am a big fan of the HobbyZone / ParkZone products. I have seven of their planes, and my son has three, so I have a fairly good knowledge of their products. Please listen when I say that the Firebird Freedom is a TERRIBLE plane, especially for a beginner. It must be flown fast to stay in the air, making it particularly difficult to launch and to land. It doesn't have great maneuverability and with its speed is easy to get into trouble, but difficult to get out of. If the control surfaces are modified, it can be made into a manegeable "intermediate level" plane, but there are so many planes available that are much better, that its not worth buying, no matter what your skill level is.

The SkyFly is a decent plane FOR THE PRICE. If you are on a very limited budget, its the plane of choice. However, if you can afford to pay a little more, the Aerobird3 or the T-hawk are similar, but much better planes.

The Stryker, or even the Typhoon, are planes to consider AFTER you get good at flying a 3-channel beginner plane. Your 2-channel experience will be of help to you in control reversal situations and in using the throttle to manage your flights better, but it does not elevate you to the intermediate level of skill yet. If your budget allows it, I would advise the following planes for you:
- First (3-channel) plane: either the SuperCub or the EasyStar
- Second plane: either the ParkZone T-28 Trojan or the Multiplex MiniMagistar (Minimag)
- Third plane: the Stryker, Typhoon, or any number of other planes, but no warbirds or EDFs.
- Fourth plane: unlimited selection
Old 01-30-2008, 12:09 PM
tubamike78

i agree with leo, the super cub would be a good one to begin on. i also have the skyfly and it will fly close to what the 2 ch planes fly. very small control surfaces limits what you can do with it. with the super cub you will be able to loop it. i would wait on the stryker until after you've flown a few other 3 ch's. it is fast and you can easly lose orientation of it. another good plane that i just have a ball with is parkzone's Cessna 210 Centurion. it's a small plane but it flys well and is a 3 channel. it will handel some wind but you can also fly it inside of a school gym.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:55 PM
reaperofsoulz

i'll throw in my 2 cents, my first plane PZ Spitfire, second plane Stryker F27B. I wouldnt jump right into the "C" version of the stryker because you can use a lipo on the "B" version and its plenty fast. Another 2 cents is my buddy has only flown on SIM and just bought a SU-47 Twin EDF jet, his first plane is another EDF but has yet to see the air. Point is fly what you feel comfortable and also what you will have the most fun flying, i could have started with som elame fixed wing but i wanted to soar a warbird so thats what i did.
Good Luck Keep Flyin'
Old 01-31-2008, 08:43 PM
aircraftking

Thanks for the opinions guys![sm=thumbup.gif] Sounds like I need to pass on the freedom and stryker for now. This narrows it down to the super cub or the sky fly since these are what the hobby shop has. They do have a red plane which costs a little more than the sky fly but I don't remember what the heck it was or who made it. Of course they have other HZ and PZ planes such as the FW190 and T28 but I need to steer clear of those right now. I will most likely get the super cub. Oh, another plane I like is the diablo but the hobby shop dont have that one yet. I never mentioned it since its a new model and I figured not many people have it yet. Anyway, once again thanks for the suggestions and yes I will probably get the super cub, too many people recommend this plane over and over again and so did the hobby shop.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:16 AM
tubamike78

if you want to see some video's of the super cub flying, check out youtube. their are several video's of it.
here's a couple for the super cub
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzTicdn0Ea8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fBeg...eature=related

and here's a couple for the skyfly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKIY3yKLJYE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ2T-qzpA_k

and here's a couple for the diablo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzKghtJw-o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2OChNHYlMw
Old 02-03-2008, 01:33 AM
aircraftking

Picked up a super cub today at the hobby shop. One word awesome! I flown it about 6 times today, I had winds of 10-15mph and was concerned it would not fly. Then I put it on the ground, full throttle, slight up elevator and it took off without breaking a sweat. Flew against the wind, no problems at all. In fact, this is the easiest plane to fly out off all of my planes and those are 2 channel planes. In the end, I had several practically perfect take offs and landings under my belt without a scratch. Thanks to all who gave recommendations on this fine plane [sm=thumbs_up.gif] Looks like I will have several days of fun flying with this one.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:36 PM
rascusn3

I agree, get the super cub and DO NOT GET THE FIREBIRD FREEDOM!!! it is a under
-powered, bad flying plane that can't ROG of of concrete. I have owned both and much prefer the Super Cub.