Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

another question about the SLO-V

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

another question about the SLO-V

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 04:51 PM
crashed out
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another question about the SLO-V

Is there a better quality Motor than the stock one that is a direct replacement other than wire connectors that will screw right into the gear reduction unit. I must say that I have not had any problems with this plane. I have the wing slid all the way back and the landing gear slid in from the front. This makes it a bit nose heavy but it flys very good. I also am still using the stock battery. I have not replaced it with the 8.4 battery and wonder if it makes that much of a difference. Any hints would be helpful Thanks.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:18 PM
patnchris

Default RE: another question about the SLO-V

That depends. The power is determined by the energy in your battery. I switched over to 11.1 V Lipos. Running this type battery allowed me to install the 370 motor from an E-Flight Blade CP helicopter. This provided a lot more power.......

The easiest power upgrade for the Slo-V is switching from the stock 6 cell battery, to the upgrade 7 cell. Then you can still use the stock motor.....Pat
Old 02-06-2008, 06:38 PM
crashed out

thanks for your answer Pat, but I would like to stay with the stock battery but was just woundering if you can replace the stock motot with a bettery quality motor that would fit the stock motor mount. Thanks
Old 02-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Leo L

The Venom motor is a much better motor thatn the stock PZ motor. You need to remove the sticker from the can and you might need to slightly sand/grind the inside of the motor mount because the Venom motor is SLIGHTLY larger in diameter than the PZ motor. For the last several years teh Venom motor has been a very popular upgrasde for the PZ J3Cub and PZ SuperDecathlon, both of which use the same motor as the Slow-V. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUM8&P=7

Before you try changing motors, changing the battery is a much simpler change that will get you MUCH better results. The optional 7-cell battery, which is the stock battery for the J3 and SD, will give your plane much better performance. You will probably need to move your wing all the way forward to compensate for the extra weight, but the performance improvement is very significant. Also, you should be flying on the High Rate setting on your transmitter; the low rates don't give you enough control of the plane.

If you want to go for the maximum upgrade, you can change out the electronics and install a brushless motor, either outrunner direct drive or inrunner through the existing gear box, and LiPo. An in-between upgrade would be to buy the E-flite Speed 370 replacement motor for the CP heli. It is an identical fit to the original PZ motor on your plane, but has the advantage of being rated for 11.1V. If you were to use a 3-cell LiPo with the stock motor that you have, you would burn it out in no time, but the CP motor will work fine with it.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:48 PM
crashed out

Thanks thats just what I was looking for. The power with the stock battery has not been a problem and has been a very enjoyable plane. I have thought about buying the 8.4 batt but it seemed like a lot of $ for a little extra go. I did find the replacement batt on cheap batteries .com but they don,t carry the correct conectors for it. Just seems like a battle no matter which way you go. Thank you very much for the info.