Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

starting in park flyers

Old 04-18-2003, 10:30 AM
fly-nerd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default starting in park flyers

i have been with the gas flyers for 2 years but would like to start electric for when i cant go to the club--so many out there.
what a the best electric to start out with--i like the slow and graceful ones

thank you
Old 04-18-2003, 10:44 AM
flyinrog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GWS tigermoth
Old 04-18-2003, 11:14 PM
goofup

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Slow Stick or Tiger Moth. The best of the best, hands down, if you want slow and easy to fly.

However, if you're use to 4-channel planes, you might look at the Hobby Lobby planes to get some ideas, especially the "Park Flyers". Maybe a "Chilli", "Tipsy Nipper", or even a "Pitts Special" is up your alley. (My LHS has been selling Soarstars like hotcakes to gas club members for just the reason you stated).
Old 04-19-2003, 10:10 AM
Stormovic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default First Parkflyer

The BLT from Great Planes is about as slow and easy as they get. I used the 280 motor system and a Futaba micro system in mine. For slow and easy flying in calm conditions you just cant go wrong wit the BLT.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:41 PM
crashNburnin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

pico stick or cub, then transfer all radio and motor to your next plane when you get bored!
Old 04-29-2003, 04:30 AM
taildraggerdave

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Get a Hobby Lobby Eagle or Cobra

I've flown glow for quite a while also and these 2 electrics are awesome. Go to HL's website and under the description for each plane is usually an mpeg that shows the actual plane in flight. It sold me on the Eagle. It might be my new favorite plane.......
BTW, this plane will take off and land in about 5 feet and it doesn't mind wind. I fly in 8-10mph winds regularly and it's fine. You do have to T.O. and Land into the wind or it will weathervane terribly.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:03 PM
Jetmech-inactive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default My Pick to start

I also fly a lot of glow power planes. Started trying the GWS series early this spring with the GWS Beaver, P-51, and now putting the A-10 together.
My favorite for slow and graceful is the Beaver.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:40 PM
Scott_nra

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default My first electric

I got back into this stuff after about 15 years of being out of it. (And those were tag-a-long kid years.) My first was the Pico stick due to the low cost.

I went from virtually 0 flight experiance to having lots of fun very quickly. I was able to epoxy my mistakes back together many times before the last big crash that finished it off. (Wings came apart at about 100'!...OUCH!)

The slowest flyers like the Pico are very gentle and do not like even light wind gusts. I saw light puffs of breeze drop mine 20' like it was being swatted out of the air. I would stick to the 280 sized trainers if you want to fly in anything but the very still air of early morning or late summer evenings
Old 05-01-2003, 11:42 AM
SeenMCrash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I'd recomend a Slow Stick

I bought a Slow Stick, after having my Tiger Moth for a year. I was out of ARFs for quite some time while I got into scratch-building park flyers with the DX-A motors in them. The Slow Stick is like no plane I've ever flown before. I'm using micro equipment, but a 7x600 NiCD. The climb rate is also unbelievable. It can get to 200 feet in under 10 seconds and the climb rate is 40 degrees plus!!! The big wheels make it easy to land and to ROGs (something that can't be done with most parkflyers in grass over 3-5 inches). But, the wind really affects it. When it gets a gust at the wrong place the wind really takes it. Other than that, this plane is wonderful. I am really impressed with the climb rate, 1/2 throttle level flight, and 20+ minute flights. Good luck, Andrew
Old 05-01-2003, 12:08 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GWS Tigermoth with 2 cell LiIon = 45 minutes of tooling around the back yard chasing squirrels!

No it doesn't like the wind but it's perfect for those early morning or late evening fixes. Great for a BBQ icebreaker or when the company gets boring.

Search this Thread