Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS P-40 Warhawk

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 02:47 AM
gnostef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS P-40 Warhawk

I just bought this kit at a LHS. It is my first foam kit as well as my first electric plane so I thought I would ask if anyone who has built or flown this plane if they would share any tips, recommendations, etc. on building, power systems, and flying. I have read what is recommended from GWS but I thought it would be interesting to see what others have done with this plane. I would like for it to have as much power as possible. Also, I bought a buddies crashed Align T-REX 450 SE and thought about using the motor and electronics from it in the plane. Any thoughts ? Please post any pictures by all means, I would love to see some finished examples!
Old 02-10-2008, 06:04 AM
ozrcboy

Default RE: GWS P-40 Warhawk

Hi there,

I don't have the P40, but I do have one of the other GWS warbirds. On about 160watts these birds will fly very nicely. My tips would be:

Use a light outrunner in the 13-20A sort of class - like a towerpro etc, or, a small 20A inrunner with gearbox - I think the outrunner is easier, particularly if you build here to use it from the start.

Use either a 2S LiPo around 1800mAh or 3s around the 1100-1400mAh. The mistake people tend to make with these little warbirds is trying to put too big a motor, or too big a battery into it. Aim for a flying weight around 450g or less (almost exactly 1lb).

Good luck.

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:59 PM
AETCBoom4

ORIGINAL: gnostef

I just bought this kit at a LHS. It is my first foam kit as well as my first electric plane so I thought I would ask if anyone who has built or flown this plane if they would share any tips, recommendations, etc. on building, power systems, and flying. I have read what is recommended from GWS but I thought it would be interesting to see what others have done with this plane. I would like for it to have as much power as possible. Also, I bought a buddies crashed Align T-REX 450 SE and thought about using the motor and electronics from it in the plane. Any thoughts ? Please post any pictures by all means, I would love to see some finished examples!
I have the GWS P-40 and it is a good flyer. The P-40 is much larger than the older generation of GWS planes and those powertrains are way to small. The recommended setups from GWS are under powered to say the least.
My set up is:
Great planes Rimfire 35-30 1250 KV outrunner
an extra long 4mm prop adapter
35 amp ESC
10x8E Eflite prop
TPS 11.1 2100 MAH Lipo
I have also heard of people using the Himax inrunner and gearbox. If I remember correctly it was the Himaxx 2825-4200 kv with 5 to 1 gearing.
Are you new to RC planes? If so this probably isn't a good plane to learn on. The worst thing is to go through a build to find out one just created a pile of foam on the ground.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:06 AM
gnostef

Thanks Oz,
I appreciate the tip, I will take it into consideration as I am still researching what combination I would like to use. Which GWS warbird do you have? Any pictures? Thanks again!
Old 02-11-2008, 10:17 AM
x030399

I've got the GWS Zero, Corsair, and Tiger Moth 400. I use the BP-21 outrunner swinging 9040 props in the Zero and Corsair, and the BP-8Y with a 1047 prop in the Tiger Moth

With a 1650 mah 2C lipo, this is a perfect setup for the Zero, providing plenty enough power, and easily 10 minute flight times, 15 min if very sedate flying. The Corsair weighs about 5 ounces more, and has a lot more frontal drag with the big cowling, so it's noticeably more sluggish with the same setup. Still, it's very acceptable performance, significantly exceeding the brushed 400 motor.

The TM is closer to the size of the p40, and weight is also closer at 20+ ounces. Even with all the extra epoxy repair weight on my TM, the BP-8Y with 3C lipo slings it into the air from a rolling takeoff in under 10 feet, closer to 5 feet with a stiff headwind. It can climb out a 45+ degrees with authority, and easily does inside loops from level flight. Given that, I think the Bp-8 swinging a 1047 and 3C lipo will do fine with the p40. You will, however, probably have a lot more frontal drag with that big oil cooler scoop. Even if you find that it's underpowered with the Bp-8, at only $12, it's not much of a risk to try it out, and you can swap it into one of the smaller GWS birds

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=A1190097
Old 02-12-2008, 11:28 PM
gnostef

Thanks for the info, I have been told about the himaxx setup, it looks like its a sturdy design and I think that is the way I'm going to go. This isn't my first plane just my first foamy electric. Thanks again.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Cleared2Engage

I've got the GWS Corsair also. I'm running the E-Flight Park 450 890kv motor w/ 20 amp esc. To get unlimited vertical I use the 11x8 prop and to get it screaming the 10x8. The Park 480 might be a good pairing with the P-40 depending on how much bigger it is than the Corsair.