Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Park flyer motors (my head hurts)

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Park flyer motors (my head hurts)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 02:00 AM
turbojoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park flyer motors (my head hurts)

I just picked up a Great Planes "Tutor" kit. I recreated it in Real Flight and have been testing different motor/gearbox/battery combos. With a 280 motor and 4:1 gearbox and 10x4 prop it's a crash waiting to happen. Not much reserve power at all. I then set it up with a Graupner speed 300 #3306 with a 4:1 gearbox and the same 10x4 prop and it's now a tiger. 5 minutes at full throttle with 7 800mah nimh cells. Same pack was used with the 280. I didn't even bother checking the time it was no fun to fly.
I'm sure a lot could be done with props but the 280 combo is what the Tutor calls for in the plans.
Does this amount of difference sound right? If so then I won't waste any money on a basic 280 setup. I'll go right for the 300 setup and maybe even go with ball bearings in the motor and gearbox. I intend to use the power package in several planes so it doesn't make sense to scrimp. Am I heading in the right direction? Remember ALL of my testing is in Real Flight not real life
Old 06-29-2002, 09:04 PM
bolmas2000

Default speed 300

sounds good, if you have too much power you can always throttle back, but if you dont have enough you cant throttle up!
Old 06-29-2002, 09:23 PM
turbojoe
My Feedback: (8)

Since my first post I've ordered a 280 ball bearing motor and a ball bearing gearbox. Based on what I've read it should outperform the 300.
Old 07-21-2002, 06:54 PM
radfly

Default I agree with your findings

I used the reccomended 280 setup, and the stupid thing has not been airborn for more than a minute. Has absolutely no power.

Finished weight with all equipment is 11 oz, but needs a decent motor.

I nosed it into the street one too many times, and now have it hanging in my sons room.

I really want a good park flyer ARF, but give up as I cannot afford to keep experimenting. I tried the Pico foam stick, same thing, now power at all. It gets off the ground, but looses it when trying to climb.

I am a gas flyer, so I do know how to fly, but these park flyerrs are kicking my butt.

I have the airtronics micro receiver, two micro servos and the 550ma Nimh Electrifly battery. Component weight is 4 oz. If you have any recomendations of a motorized ARF that is a sure bet, not a POC, let me know.
Old 07-21-2002, 08:16 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I have been trying to keep my little free flight to R\C up in the air. All up weight is 4.75 onces. For the first minute it will climb(two laps) then it will maintain altitude(1 lap) then it slowly settles to the BUSHES . I have two CS-10 sub micro servos, MRX-4 micro 4 chanel Rec. IC-5 ESC with a 350 mah 6 cell battery. I am not sure how many times I can crash this thing until I can not fix it.

I am wondering if I can go with a gear box and larger prop or a lighter battery.

It is SOOOOOOO close to flying good I hate to give up on it. All I need is 1 or 2 more onces of thrust and I will be in there.

radfly have you looked at the tiger moth???

Dru.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:29 PM
acr1346

You want flying fun? Wattage Krazy Max. Stock motor, 7 cell 400mah/800mah (I use both), HW 55 servos (or the ones in the
GWS flight package) GWS 2amp speeder, and the GWS 4 chnl RX.
Loops, rolls, inverted, real sick but somewhat neat knife edge, no
hanging on the prop though. $50 bucks of ARF fun. Photos
if you need them.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:45 PM
DEPENDS

Badmeat,

Try your simulator with a 9x6 or 9x7 prop. You might be surprised. My experience with geared motors has been to drop prop diameter and increase pitch when the plane seems to be a little underpowered. It isn't always the answer, but it's worked often enough that it is the first thing I try when I'm not happy with performance.

Radfly, I'm surprised to hear about the performance of your "stick". The sticks aren't stellar performers, mostly floating around with an occasional shallow dive loop, but it ought to fly positively regardless. I'm assuming the GWS IPS-A motor/gearbox arrangement. Sometimes, you can have a sick motor. See if there isn't someone else flying a stick in your area and arrange a comparison flight. If you don't know someone personally, ask the guys at your LHS. They should know someone. Don't give up. I haven't been flying electrics very long, but have had a lot of fun with two different sticks. You should see what they will do on the new GWS IPSD twin motor!

JT
Old 08-13-2002, 06:09 PM
YLF
My Feedback: (2)

Default EDF motor D gear box

I just recently tried the GWS ducted fan motor in a D gearbox and it works great on my E-Square (mini electric pizza box flier) which has an AUW of 6.8oz and right around 1:1 thrust to weight with a 10x8 prop on 7x280ma battery. You can see some pictures of them here: http://members.cox.net/ylf

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	21365_10231.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	9924  
Old 08-15-2002, 02:15 PM
larryflew
My Feedback: (13)

Can't tell you about your exact combo etc, but can tell you the switch I made from 280 to 300 in my Swiss Trainer made it like a differenct plane. From no power to lots of power. Did eventually change prop diam also, but just the motor change with same gear box and battery was drastic difference.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:30 PM
John M. Bigelow

Your head hurts so does everyone elses comes to the small motors about time U get them broke in they are gone. Like you
say maybe the BB Good Luck. CU
Old 04-20-2003, 02:49 PM
let_it_fly

RADFLY
Sounds like you need a SLOW STICK!
Theyare the ultimite in FUN! and cheep too.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:19 PM
Jetmech-inactive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Old reliable

Get a GWS Beaver, you can't beat it for a fly right out of your hands type airplane.Take-Off in less than 10 feet on grass or pavement with stock setup.Plenty of room inside for gear and
experimenting, floats, cameras etc.
I love my Beaver!