Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

help removing t-28 cowl?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:22 PM
rob737
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help removing t-28 cowl?

hello friends......i had some unplanned contact with the ground while flying my parkzone t-28 yesterday. i would like to replace the engine cowl, and inspect the motor mount. how do you get the prop hub off so the cowl will slide off? i removed the prop, unscrewded that little allen screw in the shaft.......but am stuck there. the cowl will not slide off around this part. thanks for your help! rob
Old 03-03-2008, 10:02 PM
cjg

Default RE: help removing t-28 cowl?

Once you've removed the allen screw from the prop adaptor it should slide off. It may be a bit stuck. Did you turn the allen screw out enough?
Old 03-03-2008, 10:20 PM
matoran629

Yeah, I've had the same problem. My plane crashed on Christmas(what a present)[], and I tried to get it off, but it seemed glued on. Weird.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:20 PM
rob737

i completely removed the allen screw. maybe i did not pull on it hard enough? i'll try to ease it off again.....thanks!
Old 03-03-2008, 10:25 PM
rob737

sorry about your crash! did you ever get it back in the air? i was lucky on this one......just damaged the cowl a bit, i could even tape it up and fix it that way. the motor shifted a bit (i just recentered it and it held up fine for another battery's worth of flying). still, i want to get in there and take a look at it, since it might be lose.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:55 PM
r72cnvt

Hmmmm. My cowl will slide off over the prop adapter. I just remove the prop and away we go. It may need a little "finessing", but it should fit without removing the adapter completely.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:16 PM
rob737

ill try that, sir. i removed the allen screw again and pulled as hard as i dared too.......the hub is on there for keeps! thanks for your suggestion! rob
Old 03-05-2008, 04:02 PM
rob737

boy, do i get the dummy award! it slid right off and over the prop hub, just like you said. i didn't think this would be the case, just looking at it. thanks......rob
Old 03-07-2008, 12:27 AM
newjak

Well, at least you didn't remove your cowl this way!
[img][/img]
Old 03-07-2008, 10:38 PM
matoran629

Yeah, I got my plane flying again, and I crashed it again[&o]. Ugh. But maybe I should buy a trainer first. Hahahaha. Also, Newjak, your T-28 looks smashed up pretty badly, sucks.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:03 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: matoran629

Yeah, I got my plane flying again, and I crashed it again[&o]. Ugh. But maybe I should buy a trainer first.
Nah... keep on buying new planes. The economy needs the stimulus The president sez all we hafta do is spend ourselves out of this little economic "speed bump".
Old 03-10-2008, 03:20 PM
BeavenX5

Newjak, don't worry about your crash, just get a new motor mount, check the prop for vibration, add some epoxy glue where cracked and get it up again...

I envy your grass and earth flying flied. We got close to 3 feet of white sh**t last week (we don't call it snow anymore in March). The frozen lake I fly at has enough soft snow on it that I crashed 2 or 3 times last week with no damage at all. Just a little hard to walk 1,000 feet to retreive it... That's would be without the snowmobile...

Here is a picture of a live crash on March 1 before all the additionnal 3 feet of snow. Notice the pilot.... He is not stupid, he edjected

P.S: this crash caused a small damaged: ripped off the wing mount to the fuselage. Used 60sec epoxy and was back in the air within 15 minutes
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25676.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	900129  
Old 03-10-2008, 07:30 PM
newjak

ORIGINAL: BeavenX5

Newjak, don't worry about your crash, just get a new motor mount, check the prop for vibration, add some epoxy glue where cracked and get it up again...

I envy your grass and earth flying flied. We got close to 3 feet of white sh**t last week (we don't call it snow anymore in March). The frozen lake I fly at has enough soft snow on it that I crashed 2 or 3 times last week with no damage at all. Just a little hard to walk 1,000 feet to retreive it... That's would be without the snowmobile...

Here is a picture of a live crash on March 1 before all the additionnal 3 feet of snow. Notice the pilot.... He is not stupid, he edjected

P.S: this crash caused a small damaged: ripped off the wing mount to the fuselage. Used 60sec epoxy and was back in the air within 15 minutes
Thank you for the kind words, but that plane belongs to a friend of mine. Right after the crash he was so upset he "gave" me the remains. I told him it wasn't as bad as it looked and it wasn't. I have repaired the fuse, wings, and bent motor shaft and I'm just waiting for a replacement cowl to come in and she will fly again.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:46 PM
BeavenX5

After such a crash you should make sure your prop was not damaged as well by visually inspect it and making sure it does not vibrate at any RPM. I found these props to be very hard to break but a small ding on it would cause vibrations that would damage your motor over time.
You were lucky to get such a great plane for a great price...
Old 03-10-2008, 08:37 PM
rob737

my cowl does not look like that, YET. give me time.........i have had my share of bad wrecks, pretty sure there will be some more! i too had to epoxy the wing mount attachment points back to the fuselage (oops.). rob
Old 03-14-2008, 10:11 AM
r72cnvt

Newjak,
That's how mine looked, only worse. My fuse snapped clean off right at the wing mount.

I put a little gumby in the cockpit, as that huge pilot just pissed me off. Like the snow crash pic above, Gumby ejected. I didn't even notice until a few days later when I got around to surveying the damage.

By that time, it had snowed, and Gumby had to freeze his butt off for a couple of months. I went back last week and found him perched on a construction stake. Whew! I'm glad the surveyor had a sense of right and wrong.

I've parked my T-28 until the DX6i gets into my LHS. I guess I'm glad it's been so slow. Spektrum has the buy one get on free reciever deal going.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:27 AM
BeavenX5

r72, if you don't want to wait for the DX6i, you can consider seriously the DX7 also (if budget permits of course). If you take into account that the DX7 comes with $100 worth of decent digital servo that can be used in a future ARF plane, the price difference between the DX6i and the DX7 is not so bad anymore. You get a better radio, a 7th channel, more options and a rechargeble battery and charger.

I was hesitating a lot between the 2 and finally got the DX7 with my TRex Heli. What helped my decision is that I needed some good servos immediately. I have only use it a little in the last 2 weeks but don't regret it at all.

Just food for thought