Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Australian BBQ and Beers (All Welcome) - Part IV

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Australian BBQ and Beers (All Welcome) - Part IV

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:34 AM
The_Mongrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Australian BBQ and Beers (All Welcome) - Part IV

Brendon,

What battery were you using. Is it a Lipo?? Make sure it is fully charged to 12.6v if it is Lipo. be careful as lipos are dangerous if over charged. On the stock battery with the stock motor it should fly Ok. Not super fast, but fly OK. if it did not, then there may be a problem with the motor.

The motor you are ordering is going to be a little tricky to mount. you have to mount it on the outside of the front of the fuse. You will need to make some sort of motor mount to support this. I made a new firewall out of plywood - but others have used aluminium etc.

If i were you, I would take it back and get your LHS to look at it.

Cheers
-J
Old 03-05-2008, 08:37 AM
The_Mongrel

Brendon,

In regards to Radio... it s not a cheap setup. most of us here that have become serious in this hobby use either JR or Spektrum radios where the transmitter alone costs over $300. A decent receiver will set ou back another $100 or so.

So my advise is stick with what you have first - If you find that you are really getting into this hobby and will be in it for the long hall, then go for a Spektrum DX7.

Good Luck
Cheers
-J
Old 03-05-2008, 08:56 AM
machette

Default RE: Australian BBQ and Beers - Part IV

Welcome Brendonv, These blokes will give you some good advice.....but first there is two brands of extrafuns I know of and they are very different sizes and construction. (I'm got the tiny one)
Come back with the maker or a wingspan and I'm sure these guys will set you straight as to what, where and how you'll need to get her off the ground

No Pete, you need to experience satellite crap.....bet you've never experienced a computer with the hiccups. Well this one gets them when it's trying to digest your pics Last century satellite technology unfortunately hooked to telstras scrap copper with an ISDN connection to get me on the glass.
Too many ifs for it to work the way it should.......coupled to my weapons grade P2 computer (no point in using anything quicker on this set up) (pretty sure the satellites clockwork) ....I think what you are doing is hot linking....am I correct? .....am I also correct in believing I could fix my problem if I had a clue?.....as I don't think I have.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:00 AM
machette

Good advise about the shop Mong.
Sorry to chop in on you then....was dreaming away here and you posted under me

.....what he said Brendon
Old 03-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Andrew86

Hey Mong what's this 3D depron foamie you have aquired? I've always wondered what those thin little things would be like in the air, does it handle wind at all? Would you recommend one? Cheers for any info mate.

Machette, i know what you mean about what is percieved as 'old' in Australia versus the rest of the world, Australia is a young country though so i guess it's not really fair to compare. Some of the places i visited in my travels blew my mind when they said how old they were, thousands of years old! Kinda hard to imagine anything being around for that long.

Was an absolutely mint day for flying today but spent the day down at Fremantle seeing off the Queen Elizabeth 2 and drinking beer, life is tough sometimes.

Cheers
Old 03-05-2008, 04:05 PM
tmc_2

Hey guys,
Off topic here but does any one know where i can get a Chuck Glider in preferably ARF or Plug and Play?

Cheers
Old 03-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Woodsy

Andrew, the Depron foamies are great, it's mostly what i fly, as for the wind there not a lot diferent to most planes, the lighter they are the more they get knocked around, i have a little P40 FFF that is a bit porky and it comes in to it's own when there is a bit of breeze.

tmc, last time i looked toysRus had some chucky gliders.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:41 PM
brendonv

Its a Extrafun XL, i got the stock 1500mah lipo and a venom 1600mah that i havent used yet. I think it might fly but it doesnt take off. How much ground does it need to take off? I tried a cricket pitch but it wasnt long enough. Do i need to hand launch it? Where can i order that long can swift motor and how much fast is it then the stock motor? How would i go putting a 540 in this thing, coz the aerobird Xtreme has a 540 i can get at my LHS.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:12 PM
ozrcboy

Hi Brendon,

Cricket Pitch should be adequate. Check whether the prop is on the right way round (if there is writing on the prop it should face forwards) - if not, looked for the curved edge of the prop - as it spins this curved edge should be the leading edge as the prop rotates.

If none of that makes any sense then power up the bird, hold her by the tail and give her full throttle. By holding the tail you can gauge the thrust. Turn the prop round and try again. One position will give lots more thrust than the other.

Is the aerobird the only other plane you've flown?

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:52 PM
BERTRC

Hi Brendon
What suburb do you fly / live in ?
There are a few West Aussies on the forum here and I haven't found one yet who is not ready to help.
You will probably have to hand launch the plane, it helps to get some instant air speed and a little (2m) altitude.

Bert
Old 03-05-2008, 11:24 PM
The_Mongrel

Brendon,

If you watch the following youtube video you will see my extrafun in the middle of it! keep in mind that this is a modified version, but the take off is what I am pointing out. On my stock motor, this plane still took off in this distance at full throttle. The takeoff here is at about half throttle with the new motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRFGlV9CPVM

Cheers
John
Old 03-06-2008, 01:11 AM
brendonv

ok, ill check the prop, come to think of it, i broke a prop b4 i flew it being stupid and clipped it on the brick wall and then i put a new one one. Wen i ran my plane after that it seemed less powerful. I live in Ballajura, im going to fly at yokine reserve on a saturday morning soon. They got like a flying club there, well like 10 guys flying planes. My step sis does soft ball on saturday mornings and they're there wen she goes.

Anyone here in perth, PM me!
Old 03-06-2008, 01:21 AM
BERTRC

Brendon
The guy's that fly at Yokine are a club known as WARS (WA Radio Soarers) will be very helpfull
They fly there Sat & Sun mornings weather permiting

Bert
Old 03-06-2008, 01:30 AM
brendonv

turns out i did have it the wrong way around the little 8x4 writing is now facing forward. Ill go test it out n see if its more powerful now.

UPDATE: Man it goes like double as fast now, man i never thought it would be the prop but it goes really good now. I think i can defiantly take off on the grass now, i might need to make stronger wire for the wheels, any suggestions?
Old 03-06-2008, 01:31 AM
brendonv

is there any fee or can i just go there and fly? Do they accept young one, 14 yr olds?

Is there anyone here that flys there so when i go there i know someone lol.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:02 AM
machette

Oz, I've got a Magister and I can't seem to get it off the ground .....can you check with you tarot cards and tell me what you feel could be the trouble? []

Bet you did well at school in comprehesion
Old 03-06-2008, 02:06 AM
machette

just go up there with your cap in your hand Brendon and I'm sure they will assist you ......but take your planes manual...it has CoG and stuff that will be useful to the people assisting you.
....and good luck with her maiden
Old 03-06-2008, 02:11 AM
ozrcboy

Sorry machette - I've decided to stop helping you because of those Frankenstein like creations that come out of your shed - I'm sorry Dr, I just don't believe the ends justify the means any more...

In reality - I'd seen exactly this problem with this plane previously - although whenever anyone says it's not powerful enough prop direction is a good thing to check - of course I only know cause I got it the wrong way round one time and someone was kind enough to help me...

As for the magistar - isn't that cause you are too busy flying your coffee flavoured milk promotion aircraft and outrunning Jake with your EZ* on steroids on steroids (duplication on purpose).

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:13 AM
ozrcboy

ORIGINAL: machette

just go up there with your cap in your hand Brendon and I'm sure they will assist you ......but take your planes manual...it has CoG and stuff that will be useful to the people assisting you.
....and good luck with her maiden
Actually the Extrafun doesn't have any CoG information in the manual..., I think you are supposed to throw it away after you crash it the first time (which is the first flight because it's sold to people who aren't ready for it, and even if they are, they aren't ready for the crappy electronics - its the same gear as comes in the electrafun [X(][X(][X(][X(])

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:19 AM
maiden-crash

Hi Clovus, looks like a few of us have a bit of a project. What setup will you be running? Ive slowly been progressing with the Harpy Cat, and its starting to take shape. Might take a trip to the LHS this saturday to buy the rest of the hardware, including paint.

PS, finally bought a proper soldering iron, you think 60 watt is enough for most application?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18786.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	895992  
Old 03-06-2008, 02:39 AM
Andrew86

Any of the Perth lads heading to Warwick tonight? I'll be there at 6:30 or so to chuck up the newly repaired badius and mini pulse XT. We're having a rare windless few days here, might as well make the most of it!
Old 03-06-2008, 03:12 AM
bleary

Yep I may head there Andrew,hopefully the wind stays away,gotta do a few things first(jobs for Mrs B),so will see.
Bleary.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:43 AM
brendonv

hey wats a save voltage to take my lipo off the plane at, i really want to get a new esc for my extrafun soon as it doesnt cut off. I got a 3 cell lipo. Is 9v safe or to low?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:07 AM
kx315

ORIGINAL: brendonv

hey wats a save voltage to take my lipo off the plane at, i really want to get a new esc for my extrafun soon as it doesnt cut off. I got a 3 cell lipo. Is 9v safe or to low?
Hi Brendon welcome to the bbq if it was me I would not risk takeoff at that voltage my 3S lipos sit at 12.5 to 12.7 fully charged and I never run them any lower that 11v or worst case 10.5v

Kx
Old 03-06-2008, 05:10 AM
kx315

ORIGINAL: Andrew86

Any of the Perth lads heading to Warwick tonight? I'll be there at 6:30 or so to chuck up the newly repaired badius and mini pulse XT. We're having a rare windless few days here, might as well make the most of it!
Missed your post before I left work Andrew I left Warwick at about 6:20 so just missed you (and Bleary if he got all of his jobs done) ran acouple of packs through the Gem not much wind bit of rain though

Hope you had a good one.

Kx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.