Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

SLOW STICK – DO I NEED TO STIFFEN WING?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

SLOW STICK – DO I NEED TO STIFFEN WING?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:52 AM
pcs2007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLOW STICK – DO I NEED TO STIFFEN WING?

I recently finished my SS and balanced it out on my homemade stick balancer (2x4 and two dowel sticks). I checked the weight on my electronic scale and this is what I got:
- Net weight with all equip., but no camera and mount: 22.2 oz.
- Net weight with all equip., camera, and mount: 30.3 oz.

I have a 2410-09Y brushless motor and a GWS EP1147 slow fly prop. I will learn to fly with this motor and before I strap on the camera, I will upgrade to a more powerful brushless to carry the extra weight………...

My question is; with the cam on the stick, do you think I need to consider stiffening up the wing? I built it with the standard supplied dihedral braces and taped them (3M tape) in place plus added some epoxy along seams. I also used one piece of 3M Extreme tape at the center joint.

At this point I prefer not to go to a flat wing with ailerons. I would prefer to strengthen the stock wing and maybe later when I become an ‘expert’, go with a better AP platform plane.

I would appreciate any suggestions you have.

Pete (new to RC)

Old 03-06-2008, 11:56 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SLOW STICK – DO I NEED TO STIFFEN WING?

Check out this web article for this guys SS: http://www.ampaviators.com/articlessos/
Good info and he set his up as a AP machine too.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 03-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Sir Raleigh

Did your SS come with a clear plastic center wing brace that you glue across the wing at the dihedral point?

Mine did and that wing is as stiff as a board. It's not going to do anything but fly.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:55 AM
pcs2007

ORIGINAL: ArrowNaughtic

Check out this web article for this guys SS: http://www.ampaviators.com/articlessos/
Good info and he set his up as a AP machine too.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Hey thanks!; a great wing stiffening build with great photos. Looks like this will do the trick.
Now on to learning how to fly the stick without crashing...
Pete
Old 03-07-2008, 06:35 AM
pcs2007

ORIGINAL: Sir Raleigh

Did your SS come with a clear plastic center wing brace that you glue across the wing at the dihedral point?

Mine did and that wing is as stiff as a board. It's not going to do anything but fly.
Sir Raleigh - I don't think mine came with the brace. Is this something that fills in the gap between the wing halves? I know some people have filled the gap with balsa and epoxy which has worked very well.
Thanks for your post.
Pete
Old 03-07-2008, 08:26 AM
tam popo

PCS2007 - I added a cf rod (3mm) to the leading edge of my SS "just in case" - an ended up with a wing that is stiff as a board!! It does make a big difference and takes away any worries. I've enclosed piccs, the spec is: E-max 2822 o 2812 b/less turning a 9 x 5 Folding prop (no prop breakages!!), 25A Esc, 3S or 2S lipo (1700 - 2200), ally fuse. It flys well on 2S but on 3S its an animal. Byeee.......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us24926.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	896930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr21255.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	896931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dc96826.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	896932  
Old 03-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Sir Raleigh

This is the wing brace that came with mine.

Pic 1 is just the wing with the aluminum diheadral brace and fiberglass rods installed.

Pic 2 is with the center plastic wing brace in place. Notice there is no filler required.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94266.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	897085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74452.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	897086  
Old 03-07-2008, 02:26 PM
pcs2007

ORIGINAL: Sir Raleigh

This is the wing brace that came with mine.

Pic 1 is just the wing with the aluminum diheadral brace and fiberglass rods installed.

Pic 2 is with the center plastic wing brace in place. Notice there is no filler required.

Thanks Bill - This must be something new. I didn't have one in my kit. Maybe I could make one myself or just buy the plastic brace somewhere.
Thanks for the info. The photos help a lot.
Pete
Old 03-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Sir Raleigh

I doubt the brace will fit on what I'm going to call the "older" wings. The wing that came with mine is totally redesigned so the brace will fit and still maintain the correct dihedral angle. If I fold the wing out so the two halves meet the angle is around 30 - 35 degrees, way too much for a normal SS.

I purchased my SS as a Slope Glider (NPS) kit. It didn't come with a motor, but did come with everything else. I put a brushless motor on mine right from the start.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:31 PM
tam popo

PCS2007 - I gave the wrong info on that PM, my wing is similar to Sir Raleigh's but without the plastic wing joiner. I forgot that GWS changed the wing mid-production, making it thicker and hence stronger (not much though). This is why some people have trouble finding the CoG, cos the manual is for the old wings, they didn't bother to reprint the Chinglese instructions.
To find the CoG think of a number, double it and add your mom's birth day and the age of your old maths teacher, then measure from the motor and stick a pin in the wing and that is where the CoG is. Thats wot the manual guys do I think!!!!