Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS Mustang balance problem

Old 04-24-2003, 01:09 AM
Toypainter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default GWS Mustang balance problem

Guys, I am setting up my GWS Mustang and am having trouble balancing it. I already read the post titled GWS Mustang C ofG, but didn't find the answer I needed. The instructions say to balance the plane 6 mm ahead of the bamboo spar, but mine balances about 4-5mm behind the spar. I had a Hitec 7 channel reciever (23grams) in it, but have switched to a Maxx Products 4 channel (7 grams). I am using Hitec 81 servos (17 grams), mounted toward the front of the holes. The reciever is directly behind the servos. I am using a 7 cell, 500 mah NiCad pack, slid as far forward as possible. The plane weighs 17 ounces as it is, I hate to add more weight. Changing to sub- micro servos will save almost an ounce, but by laying weight on top of the cowl, it looks like I will still need more than that up front.
Any suggestions? I am new to this lightweight stuff!
Thanks,
Rob
Old 04-24-2003, 02:36 AM
Jetmech-inactive

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default CG Blues

I had the same problem.I ended up with 1 1/4 ounces added to nose even with all micro gear.DON'T worry about adding weight to the nose to gear the balance correct.The CG is "very critical" or it will be way to squirrely.
Wish I had opened up the fwd section of the battery bay before I glued the fuse halves together, that way the battery can be shoved farther fwd.
My P-51 has at least 20 flights on her at 18oz flying weight and it flies fine
My CG is approx. 1/2 inch FORWARD of bamboo spar.
Good Luck
Old 04-24-2003, 02:44 AM
splatt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default radio weight

That's what got ya. I used the GWS 6 channel receiver and Hi-tec 51's and I got mine to weigh 14 oz. without landing gear. I use the 8 cell 720 NiMH with a 10 amp mini throttle. All that weight back of the CG is the problem.

Don't use lead, get bigger batterys. have fun
Old 04-25-2003, 12:53 AM
Toypainter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default GWS Mustang balance problem

Guys, thanks for your help. I think I found the problem. My LHS sold me a 8.4v 600 AE NiCd pack. Much larger cells, so they don't sit as far forward as the recommended packs would. They stick back into the radio opening almost 1 1/2". I think I'll order a couple NiMh 720 AAA packs like the instructions suggest.
Thanks again.
Rob

Search this Thread