Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

4 Channel RTF Park Flyer to return to RC flight

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

4 Channel RTF Park Flyer to return to RC flight

Old 03-10-2008, 08:33 AM
dnkehl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Channel RTF Park Flyer to return to RC flight

I am not new to flying but it has been awhile I had to sell all my stuff and I need to start over with equipment. I don't want a big plane that takes 40 acres to fly in and I want a 4 channel set-up. A parkflyer seems like the right size and money to get started. I have been reading alot and looking at different planes and reviews, the problem is that planes like the Wing dragon 4 and Begin-air seem like throw away models. They are alot of fun to fly but can't reuse the gear in another plane. Now I am looking at planes like the Megatech Ambassador because of size and it comes with a brushless motor and li-po batterys and a not so bad radio set-up. What do you think? Is there a better way to go?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Witterings

Default RE: 4 Channel RTF Park Flyer to return to RC flight

The majority of RTF's tend to have cheap electrics etc in them, if you go for an ARTF you'll probably end up with much better kit that you can the re-use on other planes later.

Depending on experience there are a load to choose from, personally I'd look at the Multiplex as good possible's, I've had the MiniMag and the Acromaster and am very tempted with the ParkMaster http://airtoimedia.nl/web/upload/Jur...Master2008.wmv
which is due out about now, the Gemini's also meant to be a good plane and aerobatic but a bit more forgiving than the Acromaster.

If you prefer Balsa there are again a number of good choices, Extreme Flight Extra, Precision Aerobaitcs Katana and they're bring out an Extra about nowish or not quite so advanced HobbyZone and E-Flight have a number to choose from.

Might be an idea to say how advanced you are, what your looking for the plane to be able to do as well an if you prefer foamie or Balsa but hope some of those suggestions ahve been usefull.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:47 AM
dnkehl

I would say between novice and intermediate. I would think probably foamy to start with. If I do go the ARF route what is a good radio to start with and a good place to get it. LHS handles stuff from Tower but does have access to a few other options. I think I should start more conservative but maybe its like riding a bike (LOL).
Old 03-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Witterings

In that case would look at the MiniMag or possibly the Gemini and set it on low rates depending how confident you are, the Gemini would give you more ability later on IF it's not too much for you at the moment and maybe get a cheap simulator.
The problem with it is generally I started with a budget 4 channel Hitec Lazer 4 TX and we're only talking about 1 yr ago and at the time was flying the MiniMag, it was great for that and my son now uses it but with another 3 more advanced planes quickly outgrew it. I then changed to a Multiplex Cockpit SX about 6 months ago which has loads of funtionality etc and for the cost is a good TX but now I'm really learning proper 3D I want different rates of Expo on low rates against high rates so am seriously thinking about changing it again to a Spektrum DX7 which I think would be all I'd ever need but possibly wish I'd gone straight there and cut out the Cockpit in the interim. that said it is the only limitation I can find with the Cockpit.
There are some good ones that don't cost an arm and a leg, the Spektrum DX6i might be worth a look at as it comes with a RX and as it's 2.4 if you're park flying it doesn't matter what channel you're on and shouldn't get interference.
If you don't go 2.4 Ghz it's worth spending a reasonable amout on the RX's as I had some real problems with glitching to start with and am sure it cost me one plane but having gone to dual conversion have now pretty much eliminated, haven't used one myself but one of the most cost effective dual conversion RX's is the Hitec Electron 6.
Personally unless my LHS had them in I'd google to find what I wanted and of I had any doubts who I was buying from put a query up on the forum to see who's had dealings with them and what their feedback is.
Hope some of that's usefull to you !!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 06:47 AM
dnkehl

Just got my Fly RC mag and did you see the E-flite t-34 Mentor. This looks to good to be true. It comes with a Spektrum DX6I 2.4 gig radio. My question is do you need 40 acres to fly it. It has a 55" wing span if not 40 how much area would you need.