Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

electrajet

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 01:18 AM
RON H S.C.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrajet

After reading good things about this jet I hurried out to get one, but couldn't get the thing to fly very long. Launch & land even with a 9x6. Tried 10x6,9x4,8x4. All Master Airscrew for electric. The only way mine will fly is direct drive with a push on prop for a firebird XL . Takes full throttle to launch or loop but cruises at below 1/2. Long flight times. 15 min +. What I can't understand is how the gearing gives more thrust and longer flights . Seems to be the opposite here. By the way I'm using 1700mah AA nimh. All I could get with the gearbox and larger prop was no flight and a very hot motor. I would like more speed , but how ? Thanks for any help.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:30 AM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

Default electrajet

Hmm, I have the opposite experience; it flies very well on the included geared drive AND prop (make sure the prop is facing the right way), ample thrust to climb out and do outside loops, etc. I've also tried direct drive with a variety of props, and the results have been lack luster, launching is more difficult, takes time to get up to speed, etc. On 8 cell AA 1600mAh NiMh I have around 12min of flight time, and about 5 min on 700mAh AA Nicads 8 cell.

Don't put a larger prop on the included 1.8:1 GB, it'll over heat the motor; the included prop's about the correct selection. More speed, you can try 9 or 10 call 2/3A packs (HECell, KAN, or even KR600AE if you don't mind the shorter flight time). The other way is to go brushless.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:02 AM
RON H S.C.

Default electrajet

I failed to say that I'm using a motor out of a cordless screwdriver . Same size but no markings. The rpm's are a good bit higher than the stock motor w/o gearbox. I just checked 4 other 380 size motors with same results. (No test stand just listened). Now I'm wondering if I got a bad motor. If I can pull the gear off I'll try one of the other motors.
Old 04-26-2003, 05:33 PM
RON H S.C.

Default Eureka!

While running the stock motor off the plane I noticed arcing. Some from the brushes, but more from the windings. Pulled the back off,(not too easy) and found a loose connection at the comm. Soldered it with the pinion gear still on(a bit difficult). Also one of the brushes was nearly shot, while the other looked new and the comm. was somewhat pitted so I stuck the motor in a drill and sanded till smooth(easy). Instead of changing brushes, I swapped back plates with another motor. After about a 15 min. water break-in, I'm glad to say this motor + g. b. now has much more thrust than my other setup. Waiting for less wind to test fly. broke my 8x4 so I bench tested with 8x5 and 9x6. Both have good thrust, but the 9x6 does't heat up the motor as much. Maybe the slim design explains this. Also I feel it should be noted that my 15 min flight time is not actual. I had the plane in the air for just over 2 min. when I handed the tx to my bud so I could step inside for a moment. When I came out, he was (still?) in the air. Only after I told him about my post, he told me that he had landed and swapped packs. Joke's on me I guess.