Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slow stick Forum!!

Old 03-20-2009, 05:46 PM
tam popo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slow stick Forum!!

yes guys, I know its a SS thread but....made a plane for the holiday suitcase. !0mm wooden SS fuse, E-Max 2805 125W, 800 2S, GWS Beaver wing and LiteStick tail feathers - and it flew great!!!!
Old 03-20-2009, 05:54 PM
BobSkyFlynjunky

Tam, looks like we need pictures. Got to see that one.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Tam! Pics! Now!

So maybe some of you have tried single-channel flying on the Stick, right? It's one of the better platforms for it, right? Not the kind I just did.... I was outside flying around in my front yard when I just bumped a tree (I still have no idea where that tree came from- it wasn't there the day before) and lost a few teeth on my rudder servo. All I had now was elevator and throttle. Not to be discouraged, I simply pushed the rudder to a position that would counteract the prop's torque and wiggled the rudder stick til it stayed put. Then I unplugged the servo. After that I fed in some throttle and flew in a straight line down the street. Fun, fun fun.... And it was single-channel because I left the elevator stick alone and flew with just throttle. Foolish but fun!

Now does anyone know why my all-time champion 1850kv motor is acting funny? I replaced the shaft recently after I stripped the splines off the original and now it's all slow and at full throttle it kind of pulses and never really gets to that 'maxed-out' sound. Why?
Old 03-21-2009, 11:38 AM
ditch it

Took my SS out the other day. Took off from the ground in like 5 ft!! was amazed! I thing I am having problems with is the when I pull back just slightly on the elevator the plane wants to go straight up. I'm thinking the C.G. is to far back, but when I check it balancing the wings it seems to be correct. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:47 AM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ditch it

Took my SS out the other day. Took off from the ground in like 5 ft!! was amazed! I thing I am having problems with is the when I pull back just slightly on the elevator the plane wants to go straight up. I'm thinking the C.G. is to far back, but when I check it balancing the wings it seems to be correct. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Move your CG forward 1/2" and try it. I thgink you will see a marked difference.

Yes, I have been gone for a while and need to finish building my latest SS. Did I mention I don't like the red color. And it is to hard to get the basic SS kit in any other color. So I am painting it with a rattle can of Fusion plastic paint from Wally World. Pics to follow after I get the components painted. Yes TP [sm=wink_smile.gif] what good is a post if there aren't any pics!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ditch it

when I pull back just slightly on the elevator the plane wants to go straight up. I'm thinking the C.G. is to far back, but when I check it balancing the wings it seems to be correct. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
If the plane flies fine otherwise, just reduce the amount of throw on the elevator by moving the pushrod in one hole on the servo or out one hole on the elevator horn.

The SS will pitch up with throttle, so if you are inputting elevator and throttle at the same time, that will increase what you are experiencing.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:42 PM
ZRAT

I found this post on RCGroups by "Aeropenguin", sounds like most of you already have a good handle on building SS but this is a worthy read, I used a piece of hardwood and shaped it with a belt sander for 3deg down and right motor mount. I really like the steerable tail wheel, land and taxi back instead of walking. Not enough time to fly, build and post on multiple sites, I'm sticking with RCU for that. Finally got a day off and it's raining after a nice sunny week, hope tomorrow clears up[:@]. Here's a link to Aero's post:

SS 10 Must Do Mod's
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122951

Google: The Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread - RC Groups

Zrat
Old 03-21-2009, 12:47 PM
ZRAT

??? What do you think of the flimsy little plastic fuse joint for the tail section? My 1st SS came w/ full length aluminum tube and I didn't cut it, just tossed the connector. My new (unbuilt SS) has the carbon tube but it came pre cut, I'm leaning toward buying a longer carbon tube as the plastic seem's pretty weak, or should I use it so the plane will break there if crashed hard???
Old 03-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Sir Raleigh

The new fuselage isn't plastic it's fiberglass.

The only problems reported with it so far is on a hard nose-in the fiberglass will splinter and you'll have to cut that part off. However, too prevent that problem some have pushed a hardwood stick inside the fuselage and then run a screw and nut through the motor mount to lock it in place. I ran the hardwood stick all the way through mine, but others have only gone 6" or so in the nose with acceptable results.

Bill
Old 03-21-2009, 01:29 PM
ZRAT

Thanks for the info, I was using a 72Mhz radio and wanted to run the antenae thru the fuse but with my Dx7/6300i receiver it eliminated that problem, what kind of wood did you use? The LHS has hard balsa and ash that's precut close enough that it wouldn't be much work to get it to fit. Getting my shopping list together, all this posting has me itching for a build and my 2nd SS has been sitting on the shelf for a few months while I built up an ElectroStick and a Flat Foamie warbird Zero. The Zero w/ low wing is so twitchy I'm ready to park it and go back to SS for a while, of the five planes and two helis I have the SS is still my fav...

Zach
Old 03-21-2009, 01:31 PM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

I have always used the connector on my SS's and never had a problem. Of course I may not crash as hard as others.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Sir Raleigh

ORIGINAL: ZRAT

Thanks for the info, I was using a 72Mhz radio and wanted to run the antenae thru the fuse but with my Dx7/6300i receiver it eliminated that problem, what kind of wood did you use? The LHS has hard balsa and ash that's precut close enough that it wouldn't be much work to get it to fit. Getting my shopping list together, all this posting has me itching for a build and my 2nd SS has been sitting on the shelf for a few months while I built up an ElectroStick and a Flat Foamie warbird Zero. The Zero w/ low wing is so twitchy I'm ready to park it and go back to SS for a while, of the five planes and two helis I have the SS is still my fav...

Zach
I used a basewood stick I got from my local home builder supply, but people have used most anything including balsa. Personally I think balsa is too soft, but any hardwood will work.

Bill
Old 03-21-2009, 01:40 PM
ZRAT

No crashes since I got the servo reversing on the elevator right, gear box jambed and snapped the front of the wing support clean off on my first two attempts, 20+ flights now w/out issue. I'm off to the LHS, need epoxy and considering brushless /w 25A SC, I'm running brushed speed 400 w/ 12A controller, pulls fine w/ a 10x60 but I have a pile of 11's and 12's in various pitches I want to try.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:03 PM
eghershey

Background: I sold a Sky Fly to a guy who never flew before. Bottom line, he crashed it badly....I felt bad and gave him his money back. I was able to salvage the wing but the body of the plane is junk. I had a broken fuselage (6" shorter now) from a slow stick. I mounted the Sky Fly wing on the SS and cut the tail and elevator down considerably. After several tries to get the plane balanced, once I got it right, its a screaming meme with a 3 cell and brushless motor. Not for the faint of heart, its a handful in the air but really a lot of fun to fly. Got a little nuts with it and promptly broke the wing in half doing a full throttle roll. A litttle CA and some reinforcement its air worthy again and flying.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:22 PM
ZRAT

Fresh back from the LHS, dang salesman (do they have a 12 step program for RC fliers?)! Came back w/ a new SS kit w/ brushless since it's direct drive I'll give it a go w/ the stock 10x47 ($54.99), 4 HS-55's(10.99/ea), a Spectrum 6100i reciever($49.99), 25A brushless ESC($34.99), CommonSense 11.1 3C/1250mAh Lipo($26.99), a basswood stick for inside the fuse and the 5min epoxy that prompted the trip. Now if the wife will go take a nap I can start building, don't want to have to explain another addition to the fleet, not enough hours in the day... I'm going flat and trimmed on this wing and plan to make the ailerons about 3" longer than the molded section. We'll see if this one will do an axial roll??? Will post pic's when I can...Zach
Old 03-21-2009, 03:25 PM
ZRAT

I just happen to have a long chunk of 2mm or 2.5mm solid carbon rod laying around, I think I'll epoxy it to the under side of the wing then run some heavy monofilament fishing line for a tensioner, don't want any folded wings...???
Old 03-22-2009, 01:50 AM
BobSkyFlynjunky

Hi Guys
On both of my SS.s I just put a snug fitting dowel in the fus and put strapping tape on the underside of the wings. I have a stock wing and a cut wing and have never ever folded the wings. I have BL motors and use 2100 3c 11.what ever HC batts. They both fly with athority and I do high speed loops and go inverted, outside loops and the occasional roll. Quite by accident but I tell the guys at the field that "I planned that move." Hay, take the credit when you can.
The only damage I have had from almost 2 years flying the SS is broken props from nose landings and my 65 pound dog sitting on the tail feathers. Easy fix with strapping tape and some CA. OH, and I also put the front landing gear up front just behind the motor, this really saves props.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:01 AM
BobSkyFlynjunky

Some pics I hope????
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72937.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	1163064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56837.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1163065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29397.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	1163066  
Old 03-22-2009, 08:10 AM
tam popo

Here's some pics guys - suitcase plane now being built with ally fuse!!

Name:	Oa21782.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1163207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx82391.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1163208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Np17160.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1163209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ba91768.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1163210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qs27356.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1163211  
Old 03-22-2009, 10:32 AM
ZRAT

Bob, thanks for the info. More questions, how long can you fly on the 2100? How do you like the Aluminum landing gear? And what's that strap thing around the motor on the cut wing version, looks like it might be a motor mount brace?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:35 AM
ZRAT

Tam - How many degree's down and right do you have, from the pic it looks like ~10, do you need more down/right w/ the brushless setup?

Zach
Old 03-22-2009, 10:58 AM
ZRAT

Got this far on building up my new wing yesterday, looks like the new "picnic plate" foam is laminated from two sheets. I have to go back to LHS for pins to hook up motor/SC, the GWS ones don't fit in the Electrifly 25A Silver series. I'm toying with the idea of picking up some 3mm-5mm depron and making flats for the bottoms of the wings, I saw some foam core inserts for GWS wings on Steelheadproducts website, they're $10/ea but looks like you would need two plus paying shipping.

Name:	Wt58968.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1163277  
Old 03-22-2009, 11:02 AM
ZRAT

Ailerons +5" over stock and I only cut the wing tips back a little.

Name:	Ec88733.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1163279  
Old 03-22-2009, 04:10 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

I'm happy.

Last night was possibly the best flying weather I've ever had. It was about 50*F (which is super warm for anyone in the northern US this time of year- T-shirts, shorts, and open windows) and there was no wind. Zero. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Windless. So I went to the 'shop and picked up some stuff (new servo gears, motor parts, etc.) and crammed it all onto the good ole Stick and went flying. I had only one pack since I busted up the Thunder Power 910mAh but I was also running my super quiet, efficient, SLOW, WEAK, STUPID motor so I got well over 30 minutes on my 1200mAh 3S. It was just getting a little dusky when I took off around 7:15 and I kept it up for a good, solid 15 minutes just cruising around, as easy as driving a car. The motor's my old Suppo 950kv so there was barely enough power to loop the thing and I never got it past 150' up but I had a big audience of little kids so that was fun. At one point I actually had to turn the plane around to lead these people's 3 dogs back to them because in their little doggie minds they were just gonna grab that plane and eat it up, even though it was a good 10' above them. The only reason I landed was to show this one particularly enamored kid that I could. When I did the motor was barely warm to the touch, as were the ESC and batt. THe best part was when it was just a little too dark to see I could feel the power dropping off pretty fast so I brought it in and -yes- greased the landing on a grass field. I broke nothing, damaged nothing, had lots of great flying (seriously, it felt like a sim it was so calm), and lost only one prop because I tried (and failed) to get my 11 year old bro on the sticks. If you add it all up it was exactly $1.25+tax for the some of the best flying I've ever had....

I almost cried when I realized my Lego pilot was still at home [&o][&o]

When I got home I put my new shaft and shaft holder assembly into my good ole 1850kv and it finally worked. I had squished most of the vital parts in a massive vise earlier in the day trying to fix it but now it's all put back together and it's running like a Swiss watch.

Today was one of the windiest days I've flown in for a long time (whole, leafless trees bending over) but the 1850 handeled it no problem, even when the wind had the plane literally going backwards. I guess the Yak could've done a little better but the giant control surfaces would have screwed me up bad in that wind. Today I gained new respect for that motor

I've been reading the last few posts and I'm starting to think I'm somewhat of a fool for not having ANY down or right in my motor mount, but I do have 4" of plywood (hand-sanded from 10mm to fit in my fuse[:'(]) as a reinforcement, so I'm not totally stupid I guess. I slathered mine in CA and just shoved it in. It goes NOWHERE

Tam- That plane looks like a cross between a ? and a !. Very nice!

Bob- All my "unplanned" rolls are actually planned, but only after they happen Sad thing is I fly in parks so no one's ever around who really appreciates them[]

Zach- I've been thinking of putting something over the bottoms of my wings too but I can't afford 2x$3 sheets of foam...

I think that's all for now but if I come up with anything else or try flying again today I'll be back.......[>:]

Old 03-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Oh, and has anyone else had their pushrods stretch (or maybe shrink)? When I built the plane a few years ago they were almost the same length after cutting, bending, etc. but now my elevator one is easily 1" longer than rudder..... Strange....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.