Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slow stick Forum!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Gofer303
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slow stick Forum!!

Just got a new Slow Stick built for the granddaughter to learn to fly (and I will use it mostly) but on the maiden tonight the prop came loose on roll off and luckily did no damage to anything but the prop. The SS has a 400 motor and gear set up (stock) with a gws 1060 prop. I need to know what prop is the best for this SS and what options there are. I have it equipped with a Radical RC adjustable motor mount (down & Right) so it seems a tad nose heavy had to move the battery (1300 mAH, 11.1V 3S) sideways as far back I could get it up to the wing mount. Seeing as I have to get a 4mm prop saver and a couple of new props at the LHS tomorrow (a 50 mile round trip) I would like to get what has been proven to work best with this set up.
Thanks in advance for any ifo.
Larry
Old 05-08-2010, 10:33 PM
ZRAT

On 3S with the stock setup I would stick with 10x60 for higher speed flying, go down to a 10x4.7 for lower top speed and more torque, even a 10x3.8 for max flight time. Depending on the copilots experience level the 3.8 or 4.7 will keep the speed down and might help when learning the sticks, I can't speak to the training aspect. I would not go smaller than 9" and generally only go up one 1" in pitch for 1" drop in diameter so personally would stick with no more than a 9x7. I really like the 10x6 myself, just buy the GWS cheapo's from the LHS in bags of 6 and a prop saver is a must have item.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Gofer303

ZRAT
Thanks for the advice. I will stick with the 1060 and get a prop saver this is the first one with the spinner I tried due to the lack of a 4mm drill to open up an old prop saver. I do have a few 1170 that I was thinking about cutting down but you know how that goes! I just finished my new Yardbirds F22 the large one and went with the Motrolfly power system from subsonicplanes.com and will try to maiden that tomorrow if the wind cooperates! Should be able to get up to 66mph at top end.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:22 AM
ZRAT

Good Luck on the maiden, 66 should be a handful. Can't go wrong sticking with the 10x60's. I highly recommend a balancer too, I use the little hand held one I got from the LHS for ~$5, works great on the larger props and the GWS job's are usually out of balance.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:00 PM
DBTchamp

Hey, looking to upgrade from stock 400 motor on my SS.

Have looked around a bunch on the forum, but am having trouble locking in on a solution. I have a 2S lipo and a 30 amp speed control and am trying to determine the best/easiest brushless motor that will add some speed. I have seen a ton of brushless motors on the SS thread, but am still unsure about which one will be the easiest to install on the SS. Does anybody have any recommendations for a great brushless motor that is easy to install on the SS and will work with my current setup?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 PM
NvMike

I use a 2410-09y motor and a 11x 4.7 prop from headsuprc.com on my slow stick with good results.

Check them out, they have good information on motor and prop selections. Good prices and fast service.

On the down side, I am not a good pilot and have crashed and bent three motor shafts, I have been able to straighten them and also order two new extra motor shafts.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:23 AM
Gofer303

Any one have a simple 1 servo drop mechanism for a SS? I want to be able to drop a parachute and guy that is about 6 inches long and the chute is a newer para sail type. Thanks ibn advance for any info.
Larry
Old 05-19-2010, 10:29 AM
ZRAT

Check out these Hobby city/Hobby King combos, either the BM2409-12T or the BM2409-18T are good, Kv and amperage are different. I have 10 of these combos and have had no issues at all, solder on some connectors, plug them in and run them. In general if you don't have a watt meter play with prop pitch/dia and go easy on the throttle until you find a combo that doesn't overheat the batt/esc or motor. For one inch change in diameter of the prop I would not go more than 1 degree of pitch to be safe, the larger the diameter the less pitch you can run for a given amperage. That's my $0.02 anyway.

Simple one servo drop mechanism (I've never actually built one myself, need to work on that):
1 - 10g(any) servo
1 - rubber band, #64 works good
1- stick (piece of balsa ~1"x6", old paint stick, or anything flat and rigid that is within arms reach)
2- Zip-ties
Mount servo to stick with a single arm at right angle to stick and actuating along the sticks centerline, drill a hole in the other end of the stick and loop the band through. Pull the band over the servo arm so when you actuate your spare channel the arm releases the band. It's a single shot but it's cheap and easy, you can put a handful of the paratroopers under the band. Zip-tie the stick to the bottom of the fuse and bombs away.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36832.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	1438734  
Old 05-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Here's what I did. I used a servo, a short dowel and a rubber band.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87736.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1438871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yo91215.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1438872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj48060.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1438873  
Old 05-20-2010, 08:29 AM
ZRAT

That's it, i have to build a drop unit. Toy's R Us has some cool paratrooper action figures, I used one of these as a pilot in a GWS P40 Warhawk.

[link]http://rus-products.amazonwebstore.com/True-Heroes-Soldier-Paratrooper/M/B003F64CNM.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle[/link]
Old 05-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Gofer303

Thanks for the ideas. The parachutist I have was 3.00 at target. looks like too much fun if only I could invent a mini bomb that looked real and was really loud!!!!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

A friend of mine from here on RCU did bomb drops with Cap Bombs. I will post a link when I find the thread.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Gofer303

Thanks I remember the cap bombs when I was a lot younger (about 40 years ago) they were fun for a few times but were a lot of work for a little bang. BTW I am 57.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:42 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Howdy Fellas!

Just got a new Slow Stick from someone that decided on not going into the RC Airplane hobby and instead decided to go with RC Electric Boats so, he gave me the Slow Stick and my old trusted JR Quattro 4-Channel 72-Mhz.

I had to make some repairs and changed out the Brushless motor and today I was able to maiden it and all systems worked flawlessly!

BP Hobbies A2217-9
Generic 20-AMP Brushless ESC
3-Cell, 1350mAH, 25C, Thunder Power Li-POLY
APC "Slow Flyer" 10 X 7 Propeller
Castle Creations BERG 4-Channel DSP 72-Mhz Receiver

If interested you can see what I did in my Blog:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1566388

Amazing is just not the word I have to use here with this power system I installed on my newest GWS Slow Stick!

It is awesome!!!

Just take a look!

Non other than our famous Michael Wargo performed the Video capture who is an expert 3D flyer and he himself found my Slow Stick to shine in the many maneuvers I put it through in the short flight!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQEFlGqQhcc[/youtube]
Old 01-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Gohmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job Carlos! Your first SlowStick?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:29 AM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks!

No this is my third Slow Stick. This third was FREE and all included!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:41 AM
svo

Hello.
Figured i'd post a few pics of my modified slow sticks.

Several of us have been messing with these things the past couple months, modifying them, combatting them against each other, and just having a hoot flying them smashing them and rebuilding them.

We've been expermenting with different motors etc.

pretty much we all are running at least a park 450 and up now.

The blue one here is my latest. It is only a few weeks old.

Its got a Hacker 30-28S , CC Phoenix 25, running on a 3cell 2200mAh

Mods to the plane are: removed most the dihedral, clipped the wings and horizontal, a new vertical fin and rudder, fuse is shortened 1.5" , larger ailerons with flaps mixed in, and the other obvious,.landing gear etc...

it flys awesome. right side up or upside down. and Plennnty of vertical.

The wing just got mutilated last week,. I let a "noob" friend fly it and he flew over his head,..rolled to come out okay, but pulled too much elevator with throttle still on = snapped wing and spiral right into a bigass oak tree.lol

It is now fixed and stronger than before. It is also getting lights on it for some night flying.

its only modified a little,.. less dihedral, bigger ailerons, and running a park 450 and 3cell 1300mAh

I still need to rebuild this one from this past weekends brutality thru some power lines and into the ground. oops it was only about 15mph gusts

and the red one is my modified Pic Stick. it is fun to remove the wings,..set it down and let er rip across the field. lol

We fly like the HoneyBadger and fly the crap out of these things and it is soo much fun.

I'm about to build a 3rd one,..........,.. with retracts and maybe a few other suprises...... heheh.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:50 AM
svo

Here is a video from saturday..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otQTmEKOWHY[/youtube]
Old 02-19-2012, 02:52 PM
BobSkyFlynjunky

Great going guys. Good to see the SS forum still going.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:39 PM
svo

Here are a few more pics of my slow sticks as they sit today.

My blue SS is now my night flyer. it has a Hacker 30-28s on 3cell 2100 - 9x4.7 prop
Heres also a couple pics of it lit up..
It also has a powerful spotlight mounted under the gear which is controlled on/off by switch.

The other one is my yellow SS. I had to make a new tail for this one due to some combat action.
It has a hobby king park 450. I usually run 1100mAh on this one with either 10x3.8 or 10x4.7 prop
This one has a horn on it. It is the speaker out of a smoke alarm set up through a brushed ESC and controlled by a switch on/off. The spotlight on the other plane is operated the same way.

Both fly very well, right side up, or upside down.

Here is the top of the blue one all lit up....

And the bottom,....

Old 02-20-2012, 05:53 PM
svo

Here are some pics of my new modified slow stick I am building.

Just waiting on the new motors to arrive before I finish this project.
This one will have retracts, and in line twin engine counter rotating props. It should be interesting when I get done with it.

Here is what I have so far,....it is upside down here.. the carbon fuse has been reversed, will have extended vertical stab and rudder, swept horizontal tail, and swept wing.
The retracts will be mounted to the yellow piece by way of an aluminum mount that I still need to make.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:03 PM
wing_nutt

svo,
Your Slow Stick looks very cool, just wondering how you are doing your retracts? Are you mounting the gear to the wing or fuse? Just thought I ask because I thought about retracts myself.
Also did you make a swept back wing or is that an optical illusion?

Old 02-22-2012, 06:44 AM
svo

oops repost
Old 02-22-2012, 06:51 AM
svo

Thanks.

The gear will be mounted to the fuse using the yellow battery holder from Millinium RC.

The tail and wing have been swept. they were cut in half and the center removed V. The hingeline for the elevator has been relocated also. you can kinda see where the original hinge line was in the pic.

I will be finishing it up for this weekend. Still waiting on the twin engine setup to come in. If that does not arrive in time, I will probably just stick the big hacker on there for now.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:52 PM
fishycomics

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Gang, I just got a Slowstick. and am awaiting some parts again , due to miss ordering.

I have a 2212-13 0r 17 motor and esc 20 amp. If this is not powerful enough i have as well on order a 2208 Kv1450.

I wanted to keep to the same set up or plug a JST. running a 11.1v 20c 900 mah. remember I have a funfFly with a 2208 and 20 amp es she runs just fine 8x40ish prop.

Do you think a 11.1v 20c 2200 mah batt give me way more than enough flight time or should I go lesser/ I understand Weight helps with wind

how much time would i get with a 1500, vs a 2200. understanding they may cost the same.

I like to fly a good 15 minutes. and I am never flying all day at the park due to the winds 30 minutes works for me.

I will oneday like to add a cam, like a kodak zi8 maybe tomorrow a gopro, I use a 808 keychain cam because 40.00 vs 300.00 isa smart thing.......

thanks guys for all your help

added note. I just opened the box to read the instructions, and boy it says it right there recommendations 1300 or 2200 batt Lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.