Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slow stick Forum!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:31 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slow stick Forum!!

Layback, I have a lightflite Bug. About 12oz of thrust on a 6.55oz plane great fun. So the lady bug is elevons? Shold be fun, mine doesn't really believe in gliding though. There is probably a link to the vid a pge or so back, if not let me know and I'll post it here.

Tim
Old 04-08-2008, 08:03 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Guys, did I mention I figured out how to fly the stick inverted? I went into a loop caused by the wind and found myself inverted. I immediately put in forward elevator. Yep it worked. So I looped out and flew a bit and tried again, intentionally this time, I went into the loop normally, full back ele, then once I was at the top of the loop I reversed the ele to full away. Sure enough I had the stick flying inverted. The control wasn't as neat as the bug and I did try to outside loop it back to normal, that was not a great Idea. I ended up in a tail slide. easy recovery, but an inside loop works better.

Prior to this I had not been able to pull off inverted with the stick. I hope that is helpful to someone. I would recommend trying it at at least 100' for the first few times.

Tim
Old 04-08-2008, 10:37 PM
layback2
My Feedback: (12)

cool love to see the stick inverted sounds like fun i flew my easy bug today sweet flyer it is and your right glide it did not like had to put throttle at lease 1/4 to land her maybe a bit more sure was different then my 25 size cub or my SS that flat wing needs speed wind was between 10-15 knots she did great
Old 04-08-2008, 11:20 PM
calvino

aelerons on my stick, sound good or dumb, was going to make them full leingth of wing, i was flying a "great planes PT" alot on my friends flight sim, and found that aelerons made "handling" much easier, I use them alot in turns... just a thought, anyone got an opinion on it, just currious, other than that, not been flying, to lazy... I duno, also worried I will have the same bad flights as before (and get yelled at for them[:@])
Old 04-09-2008, 08:06 AM
layback2

You know i have noticed something in the younger flyers some think when they grab the radio for the first time they think there playing a game you know slam the stick hard just like in a video game but if they learn that moving the stick slower and know when to let off there controls there plane will live longer the sims do wonders for the new pilot will teach them how to do it right the first time and just think it will not cost you a plane not saying how young iam lol but when i started there was not much RC flying around we learned on control line planes mine was a very old large wing B52 bomber had two johnson 29 glow engines ran wide open for six minutes the plane was 75 feet from the hand control what a blast it was to learn and fly thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 08:11 AM
layback2

calvino
I woint worry about ailerons right now injoy the SS have fun learning and later when your ready maybe try to update to rons the SS is so much fun just seeing it take off and fly and land again injoy friend
Old 04-09-2008, 09:44 AM
TerryE

Morning guys;

Have been flying my SS for a while. I am using a towerpro 09 brushless with a 12X6 prop on 3 cells. LOTS of torque (actually, probably too much), but I can get airborne in 4 feet Here are some pics:

The top of the wing is covered in Vinyl - makes it very strong. I would recommend when building to make sure to tape the leading / trailing edges heavily with packing tape - will make the wing much stiffer.

Here is a great thread for those of you wanting to add ailerons to the SS:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716334

Terry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33510.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	925855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg54543.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	925856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gf67464.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	925857  
Old 04-09-2008, 11:01 AM
tam popo

Terry - wot a stunner, a real nice plane, its too good to crash, just hang it on the wall and keep looking at it!!!!

Layback - I didn't have you for an Old'un, thought maybe 40ish - I'm an old 'un at 56 and retired, but wot you say makes perfect sense. Young guys, listen to your Uncle Layback and Tam, just "dab" the stick, don't swing on them or keep them over all the time - less is more is a good saying!!! Just try it first.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:03 AM
tam popo

Terry - wot a stunner, a real nice plane, its too good to crash, just hang it on the wall and keep looking at it!!!!

Layback - I didn't have you for an Old'un, thought maybe 40ish - I'm an old 'un at 56 and retired, but wot you say makes perfect sense. Young guys, listen to your Uncle Layback and Tam, just "dab" the stick, don't swing on them or keep them over all the time - less is more is a good saying!!! Just try it first.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:04 AM
TerryE

Tam;

Thanks - she looks great in the air

Old 04-09-2008, 11:06 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice REX pic in your sig there Terry. I have been practicing inverted flight quite a bit on my SS and can pull it off 4 out of 5 times. Also outside loops but always from at least 150' up. I found the best way to get the inverted going was to fly towards myself and do a inside loop then like Ferndale mentioned at the top of the loop just go to full down elevator. With it flying away from you inverted the stick controls are the same as flying directly at you upright. At least that is what my mind tells me. A brushless is definately required for inverted and outside loops, sounds like Terrys has all the power needed to pull those manuvers off. A 12 x 6 prop........... wowsers! I am running APC 9 x 6's on a Suppo 1100kv and a 25A ESC all powered by either a 10C 150mAh 3 cell lipo or a 10C 1000mAh 3 cell.
I consider my SS to be my flight trainer for learning some of the basic advanced moves and also have a GWS Estarter for aileron moves, that runs on a Suppo 1100kv also with 3 cell 900mAh's. Between those 2 planes I have progressed light years beyond my helicopter skills. I can hover the heck out of all of my helis............ but still am too chicken to go into FF. I have enough parts to build at least 3 more helis but just can't get past the when you wreck a plane..........it can be repaired in about 20 minutes........... wreck a heli......its a detailed going over that requires lots of parts, time and patience.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 04-09-2008, 11:24 AM
TerryE

ArrowN;

I love my TREX Here is my thread on the maidens (before I painted the canopy):

http://www.thetrexforums.com/?topic=3555.0

The avitar is of the painted canopy (spray cans, first time so not great but I like it)

What kind of helis do you have??

TE
Old 04-09-2008, 11:43 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Oh Terry........... do you really want to know?
Here goes:
3 flyable Eflite Blade CP's Parts to build at least 2 more
3 Esky Honeybee King II's 2 flyable, 1 parts and reference

TREX 450 XL CDE
3 x's HS 65HB's (cyclic)
HS 81MG (tail)
Logitech 2100T HH Gyro
Align 3500 L w/10T pinion
Align 35X ESC

Century Swift 16
3 x's TP 5010 coreless (cyclic)
Futaba S9254 Digital (tail)
Futaba GY401 HH Gyro
Century 550+ 1470 kv w/ 9T pinion
HW Pentium Opto 60A ESC
HW switchable UBEC

Plankwise I have 2 SlowSticks, 2 Estarters, Parkzone J-3 Cub and 3 Hobbyzone Aerobird Challengers.
My house is somewhat of a hobbyshop.......... Parts and unbuilt kits on the shelves and numerous spare motors and ESC's stuffed in drawers and nitches thru out the house.
I think I posted a pic of some of the heli's and a couple of the planes, but as always I am willing to post again!

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92838.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	925920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85823.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	925921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57905.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	925922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29672.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	925923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz31438.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	925924  
Old 04-09-2008, 12:12 PM
TerryE

Arrow;

Very nice collection you have there. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

One question: What do you think of the Logitec gyro vs the 401? I have the 401, but was considering the logi....

Also, if you want to responde on the BOC III thread that is ok, don't mean to hijack this thread....

Terry
Old 04-09-2008, 08:02 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: layback2

calvino
I woint worry about ailerons right now injoy the SS have fun learning and later when your ready maybe try to update to rons the SS is so much fun just seeing it take off and fly and land again injoy friend
ok, ya, I will try and find an internet file for it on the net one of these days (for FMS), ya, have to fly sooon, got some 10X6 APC props, and my motor takes 10x7 slowfliers, can I use it with that, or will it hinder my lift (BAD)?????
Old 04-09-2008, 08:35 PM
ArrowNaughtic

calvino,
If you are flying the stock brushed motor, mine came with a 10 x 6 prop and handled quite nicely. I have tried the 9 x 7 APC props and wasn't that impressed. If you are running brushless, my guess would be that 10 x 6 APC's would be fine as long as you are notpulling too many Amps off the ESC. If its what i have on hand and its smaller than what i normally use, i just stay off the throttle. Usually land after about 3 or 4 minutes and feel the ESC and motor, if they are not warm to the touch its probably ok.
Remember.....I am a n00b, but have experimented alot and so far no flaming disasters.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:08 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Cal, The APC Props are usually stiffer than GWS props. This gives you 2 things improved flight(+) and a really hard prop that will not break on landing(-). You have a 400 motor as I recall, so the APC prop might not pull too much out of your system. Arrow is correct about flying all out for three minutes and seeing if anything is warm, then recharge and do the same thing at 6 minutes. My experience with apc props was not good. The 300/370 motor that came with my stick was pitiful in my newby view. So I stuck the APC 11x8 prop on and took off, the plane had more speed than I was ready for and I thumbed it into the ground. Damage was the gearbox was shattered. This was primarily a prop strike, that got out of control.

Tim
Old 04-09-2008, 10:19 PM
calvino

I am running a b-less now, noooo brushed for me, ya, I somehow bent my dumb shaft after BUMPING into our curb when flying in our front yard, wierd eh, takes a MASIVE dive from about 75' no probs, who cares, it is cut down for a prop saver, ya, the reason why I ask is when I er, have an unexpeded landing, the props norm break (due to my high angle landing, THROT OFF, is that normal, prop is freewheelin, gota program in more brake), ya, I have to get out one of these weekends, hope to meet up with a friend who FLIES (and get in alot of sim time) before I go out, gota also get another wing/gear mount, they break alot, as for control horns, what do you guys run??? I am using the stock ones, but they keep falling out (BAD) and have caused my plane to fly funky sometimes[]
Old 04-10-2008, 05:33 AM
layback2

calvino
Did you add some glue to the control horns like the manual said to do all gws manuals shows a little glue icon when adding the horns stops them from falling out lol not sure programing more brake will help your prop from free wheeling sometimes that helps from brakeing props is your plane CG close to were it should be mine will glide some when landing no nose in crashes sorry for the bent shaft
Old 04-10-2008, 06:38 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Calvin, the problrm with that prop on your motor is the possible draw. What prop does your motor recommend? And how many amps is it pulling? Is your esc rated high enough for it?

Tim
Old 04-14-2008, 10:21 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Calvin, the problrm with that prop on your motor is the possible draw. What prop does your motor recommend? And how many amps is it pulling? Is your esc rated high enough for it?

Tim
no, all that stuff is in "specs", the ESC is in a "combo" with the motor, I need a lighter lipo, like a newbish MORON, I get a 2250, flies fine, little "hot" for landings, but other than that it is prety nice, got to do a few things to get it runnin again
Old 04-14-2008, 10:38 PM
layback2

calvino how much does the 2250 weight i use a polyquest 1100 weight 2.82 oz. just right for my SS lenght width 70 x 37 x 18mm
2.76 x 1.46 x 0.71in
Old 04-14-2008, 10:53 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: layback2

calvino how much does the 2250 weight i use a polyquest 1100 weight 2.82 oz. just right for my SS lenght width 70 x 37 x 18mm
2.76 x 1.46 x 0.71in
Weight: 186g
to me that seems a little LIGHT, but I am to lazy to take out the scale, it is prety heavy, but is powerful, may get off my but later and get the scale out and weigh it for a TRUE weight
Old 04-15-2008, 08:53 AM
davidp810

I finally finished my SS the other day and I guess I got the CG wrong because the only thing it wants to do is shoot straight up in the air and stall[]. Im sort of stuck on where I put the servos because Ive already cut the pushrods, so Im going to the LHS today and look for some dubro EZ rods. Question though, with the dubro rods do you use the "guides" on the fuse or skip them? It looks like the guys using them here dont use the guides.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:56 AM
tam popo

David - don''t feel bad about the SS stalling, nearly everyone who follows the manual has that problem. There''s a few things you can try first, look in the manual for the CoG (Forgotten where it is!!), and slightly mark it with a pencil under the wing. What sort and weight of battery are you using, it might be too light, the SS can take quite a lump at the front to get the CoG correct. You should be able to move the wing back and foreward, try it back as far as it will go - the gap to the tail should be no less than 7 inches, it depends. What motor are you using, brushed 370/400 or a b/less? The servo control wires need to be stiff to make control input instantaneous, no "slop".
Ferndale recommends (and I totally agree) buying an extra parts "tree" as spares etc and also moving the u/carriage as far forward as possible to avoid broken props. There''s loads of tip etc and any of the guys here and on the SS Survey thread will answer your questions. Good flying mate....and to help us tell us what your pplane runs in gear (motor, battery, servos, TX/RX etc).....byeee.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.