Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slow stick Forum!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:52 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slow stick Forum!!

I'm not a pro when it comes to set up, but I am pretty sure you are going to need more than a 10amp esc. Why don't you pick up a cheap 25amp super simple esc from hobbycity.com like this one.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ies_25-30A_ESC

Can't beat that price can you. I have two Hobbycity SS esc's. They are like the name says "Super Simple" to set up and they are very dependable.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:41 PM
tam popo

Guys...I saw this on the Easystar thread (its FPV equipped!!!).....thought it might give someone some help and ideas....cool or what?????

http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/q...thluneau/4.jpg
Old 11-24-2009, 05:48 AM
ZRAT

Tam - Glad to see you posting, you've been missed! I don't think I'm ready to tackle FPV but it does look interesting. I broke out SS #3 and told my little co-pilot I'll build it with him and it will be his plane. I stole the 72MHz Tx/Rx and 25A brushed ESC out of a junked Diablo EDF trainer jet, will run that with a 2S 2100 and SP400 gearbox, maybe 11x4.7, I want to keep it slow, 3 channel to start, not even going to put the ailerons in this wing, I can use the other two once he progresses. He's doing OK on the SIM but likes to crash on purpose, not sure I've got him convinced that we aren't going to be doing that with the real thing, but hey, SS's are cheap, he can buy the next one.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:35 PM
tam popo

ZRat anf guys....thanks for all the e-mals of encouragement during my illness....it means a lot!!! Flying buddies are always there, right?

That piccy was posted by a guy from Staanger in Norway, the tested range of his set up was 1km (amazing), and the u/carriage was made that way so that the camera didn't pick up the oscillation shots of the prop. Neat idea.
I'm currently stripping down my SS's and re-building to incorporate some ideas I thought about over the past 7 weeks. An aileron wing, a polyhedral-type wing, and a standard wing plus 2 balsa 64in. wings I have. Strengthened u/c, adjustable motor mount, minimum 180W motor and protection cases for AR6200 RX and lipo. If anybody wants me to try something else (thats Legal!!) I'll think about it.......
I'm going to try and get wing holders from Millenium RC but they say they don't ship to the UK - we shall see. By for now guys, keep the Flying Faith
Old 12-02-2009, 07:14 PM
dirtdobber42

Anyone put a E-flight 480 on their slowstick? If so, where can I find the motor mount to do so? Thanks
Old 12-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Wheelnut

I put a Turnigy brushless motor and 2200mah 3s lipo on mine and it is very cool. Smoooooth and sweeeet. Motor was about $6.00. Esc was about $12 and the lipo was about $13
in case you are wondering where all these great prices came from, Hobbycity.com
Old 12-03-2009, 10:00 AM
dirtdobber42

What motor and esc did you use and did it come with stick mount?
Old 12-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Wheelnut

for an all in one package, use this one.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4708
It is what I'm using in my AT-6. For the slow Stick use a 9 X 5 prop.

This is the actual stuff I have on my SS. I just used the SS motor mount.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6524
and this esc,
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6457
and this battery
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6306
and this prop
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10047&Product_Name=GWS_EP_Propeller_(DD-9050_229x127mm)_(6pcs/set)
Old 12-23-2009, 08:31 PM
LarryV

I have the good fortune of having three grand daughters who love to fly with gramps. I just finished building them a Slow Stick . 
The fuse is built from Depron, Hacker 20 20L motor, Master Airscrew 10 6 prop, Spectrum 6100 receiver and Light Max 2200 Mah batt.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Rockfish88

Greetings all,

Despite my novice status I am taking the plunge on a slow flyer from sticks. I have purchased the StevensAero Soarstik, and assembled the wing, and will begin covering today (I hope). The build took only about two hours, and I enjoyed the process. Whether or not the quality of my workmanship is going to result in a solid plane I am not yet sure....but a few questions for the crowd.

Anyone with experience on this plane got any general comments? The materials and instructions are generally quite good. I am unclear on only two things installation of servos in the wings this is done after applying the application of the aerocote? Just cut holes as needed?

Also still looking for a good tutorial on applying the aerocote seen some but not a lot of detail.

See attached photos of my progress so far. I am looking forward to seeing this thing fly!

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75802.gif
Views:	40
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	1347154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97094.gif
Views:	40
Size:	347.3 KB
ID:	1347155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl18962.gif
Views:	41
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	1347156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha79148.gif
Views:	61
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	1347157  
Old 01-02-2010, 10:26 AM
tam popo

Rockfish....just a word of encouragement to a new member here....the work so far looks great, good build quality. I hope someone here, anywhere, can help you with your queries. And give us details/pics of your Maiden flight when it happens....good luck, mi amigo!!!!!
Old 01-02-2010, 01:59 PM
LarryV

I've built two of the Stevens Soar Stik wings, they fly great. I covered after the servos were installed because I wanted the wireing harnesses to be concealed.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Rockfish88

Thanks for the encouragement gents. I have almost finished the plane. I've attached a couple of photos here. The process was much more confusing (and frustrating) once I got past the building of the wooden frame. I am happy that I built the plane, and although I haven't flown it yet, I would recommend others to give it a try. The frustrating parts, largely a function of my lack of experience,are nonetheless multiple areas where others will need to be careful if, like me, you are doing this for the first time.

The application of the exterior covering was the most challenging process, and that was exacerbated by the lack of clear direction. Looking for guidance on-line, I found there was little guidance of substance beyond "pull and stretch constantly, go slow, shrinking the coating later will cure mistakes." OK, that's partly true, but it would have been nice to have some guidance on some of the harder parts. Like the ends of the wings the compound angles at the wingtips were a challenge, and I could have easily made those much nicer than I did on first attempt if I had been thinking about the process and come up with what ultimately turned out to be a good solution simply lay it flat against a piece of paper and trace the wingtip to create a template, cut the shape from the covering material, adding tabs along the perimeter, and apply the cut pattern directly to the tips. It was a breeze.

The manufacturer provided upgraded wire to allow for stronger linkage to the servos, but the wire was too big for the pre-drilled holes in many of the parts, and created more trouble than was worth the benefit gained. Drilling the teflon parts to fit was a challenge in particular.

The electronics were an eye-opening experience for someone used to the ease of just ordering a ready to fly machine with all of the electronics pre selected and pre installed. But in order to get the right battery, I had to know more details than I ever had to worry about before, and I had to be sure that the chargers I owned were compatible with the plugs on the battery not a given! And the ESC plugs and the receiver plugs and the engine plugs were all slightly different and needed to be fitted with matching parts. Can't we standardize on plugs even?

At every turn it seemed that I needed to find another tool that I hadn't anticipated that I'd need, or to substitute a part that would be available in a few days at the local hobby store. Certain that I was about to finish I would sit down and realize that I was never going to get through the next step without a trip to the store or another part ordered. And how do you assure that the servo is in the correct position without simply hooking it up and turning it on? The instructions pointed me to my transmitter manual, which said nothing about servos other than that I should be certain that they are installed with adequate padding and stickum. Oh well.

Again, these are pretty much all things that with experience could be anticipated and would not prove difficult to deal with. And I now have the tools that I need for a basic build. As for the basic instructions for the model frame, there were no significant problems at all. The one area that was a little problem was with the mounting of the ailerons. It was unclear how to properly hinge them and the instructions simply said to mount them in the same manner as the rudder and elevator. Later, long after I'd mounted them, the manual said to be sure to install the tape on the bottom as it was on the top with the elevator and swap bottom with top, etc. But it works.

I am now waiting for those last few pieces needed to connect my battery and esc to the power and give it a go. I hope the flimsy linkages work. I hope the distortions in the covering don't affect the ability to fly straight. i hope the connections all work properly and the ESC and receiver sitting virtually on top of the engine don't get too much interference. I hope the chintzy steering mechanism works. I hope the substitute wheels I installed aren't too heavy. I hope I can get the center of gravity right. And there are lots more "I hope"s in the back of my mind.

Damn this is fun. I hope this plane flies. And I hope I am motivated to move up to the next one.

Way cool!

Name:	Fd91311.gif
Views:	61
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	1350399   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43945.gif
Views:	55
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	1350400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97890.gif
Views:	54
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	1350401  
Old 01-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Wheelnut

Rockfish88, you are braver than me, sounds like quite a job. But it looks like it was well worth it. Very good looking wing.
I hope you can get some vids up of her flying. That would be great.
Good luck on the finish and maiden.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:01 PM
pilotpilatuspc12

Hey guys,

Thought I'd post this here instead of the parkflyers forum.

I have all the "guts" from my old Aerobird Challenger crash (beware: this is what happens when you let your dad fly it) and want to turn it into a slo v or slowstick or something...anything really. It has the 6 cell Lipo?, brushed motor?, TX,and main circuit board ( this is a bunch of circuitry and the 2 servos are also mounted on this) (I think the RX is on there too??). As I said before, I want to turn it into a slow stick or something. I heard I could get the kit at a hobby store for $25-$50. But please recall that the Aerobird isa pusherprop, and the servo linkages must either go around the radius of the propeller arc, or go to the front of the plane (like the control surfaces of the Wright Bros. ). I don't think that hobby stores sella pusher prop slowstick, and I don't want tobuy theskins of the plane and put it all back in (mostly because the plane would not doany aerobatics no matter how hard I tried). I don't know what to do, and I don't want it just laying around in my house. I have occasionally hooked it up to my Walmart rc car, taking out the drive shaft gear sothe wheels spin freely. It wouldnormally goesabout 2mph max. but now goes like 20mph. (with the ocassional 20mph turn that ends up flipping the car side over side a few dozen times, with pieces flying everywhere,but the airplane gear alwaysbeing still intact afterward).

Anyways, If anyone has any suggestions for the stuff, I would really really appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2010, 10:38 PM
ZRAT

PPP12 - 6S on a SloStick? I tried a 225W 1750Kv on 3S 2500mAh 25c batt and 10x6 prop, the wings were a fluttering like a humming bird, it will shred itself if you push it tooooooo far. I emphasize the too cause they can take some abuse, just use plenty of CF in the wing so it doesn't fold, packing tape the crap out of it and use lots of rubber bands to hold it on. The wing will lift a metric butt ton so no worries there, I've seen guys flying point and shoot cameras, etc.

Show some pics if you go that route.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:40 AM
tam popo

ZRat...I was on another thread to P...the guy who wants to convert his Aerowhatever to a Slowstick, and it must be the 6-cell Nimh (8.4V) that comes as standard with those Plastic Pigs of planes!!! I mentioned this Thread and he's found his way here for all your advice guys. He has all the 'hardware' needed, just the instructions for putting it all in the right places to get himself one of the best flying Birds on this Planet. I'm not sure if he needs the Sloper or the 400-version of the SS.
I've been relegted to a w/chair now so all my SS's are redundant, 'cos I can't walk far to get them after they land (crash!!!). Had to go small with Bug-type foamy's, Nutball and 4-Site/Su26 Micro's!!! Life really is a Beach......at least I get to take these small 'uns on hols to turkey for 4 weeks....
Piccy of Micro SS, based on Pico Stick - 10mm fuse, brushed or b/less and flies like a dream close in and sloooow!!

Name:	Xv64783.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1385766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70040.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1385767  
Old 03-17-2010, 03:49 AM
Teenage Pilot 14

Damn..... Not much goes on here anymore. Mostly I'm just here to see if my RCU account is still active (yep). I'll probably get booted off for swearing now..

I've got a brand-new Slow Stick all ready to go and the weather has warmed up a lot. No more snow = no more excuses. I've got a 5-day weekend to mess with. That'll mean a slow Stick maiden and I'll also be finishing my new (3rd) Pizza Box Flyer. RCG's where it's at (sorry, RCU)...

Yup, just checking in...
Old 03-17-2010, 03:53 AM
Teenage Pilot 14

Cappy, I just realized you stole my sig!!! "If it ain't broke, fix it til it is" was a phrase I came up with like a bunch of years ago flying my helis...

You are more than welcome to it, of course. I don't use RCU much anymore....
Old 04-04-2010, 11:54 AM
GaryHarris

I got mine done but its been too windy to fly it yet.

Name:	Ur51982.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1411696  
Old 04-04-2010, 04:48 PM
BobSkyFlynjunky

Gary, nice looking build, now give us some stats. Motor, ESC, prop, and radio system you use. Did you do any mods we would like to know about.

Bob, flying 3 mistakes high.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:30 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: BobSkyFlynjunky

Gary, nice looking build, now give us some stats. Motor, ESC, prop, and radio system you use. Did you do any mods we would like to know about.

Bob, flying 3 mistakes high.

Thanks Bob

Motor and ESC is from a cheap combo deal from Hobby Partz. 18 amp.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1006.html

Prop is a 8x3.8, or at least it was. It was very windy today and my more experianced buddy crashed it. Airframe is fine though.

Batteries are 3cell 900mah 15C from HobbyPartz, $8.70 per. Radio gear is a standard Futaba T4EXA four channel with a GWS receiver, servos are HS-55s and the landing gear is from Millenniumrc.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:17 PM
BobSkyFlynjunky

Sounds like a great setup, sorry to hear your friend crashed it. SS's are very forgiving and will repair with some CA and good packing tape. I fly 2 SS's with the HC 2409-21T with 25 esc and 10.47 prop with the 20c 2200 lipo. I can get a solid 15 min's of flight time and with some thumb management up to 20 minutes . I also have a spare wing that I cut the ends off then taper cut it to look somewhat like a P52 wing. This wing is a challenge to fly but is fast and can fly in higher winds than the stock wing. Hope you get your SS back in the air soon and have a blast with it as I do.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:54 PM
hennigar

Stevens Aeromodel sells all sorts of bits and pieces for slow sticks. They even sell upgraded wings with alerons. Just Google them.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:11 PM
hennigar

Nice Job
I also just built one and had the same challenges as you.I put floats on mine and was only able to fly it once of the ice on my lake before a big thaw made it unsafe. The flight went realy well. It was a bit more twitchy than my old ss but nothing I won't get accustomed to. I would say it is very important for the first flight to be in zero wind.
good flying

Name:	Vt57867.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	478.6 KB
ID:	1412038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83712.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	450.1 KB
ID:	1412039  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.