Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Anyone convert a Guillow's Stearman to R/C?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Anyone convert a Guillow's Stearman to R/C?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 02:13 AM
daywalker
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone convert a Guillow's Stearman to R/C?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone out there has tried to convert a Guillow's Stearman to R/C. I saw an article a few years back in MAN about converting a Dumas (?) Bearcat using a geared speed 280. I would like to try this with the Stearman, but have limited experience with electrics. I am hoping someone out there might have experience with this or similar set-up. Anybody?
Old 05-04-2003, 04:06 PM
SRA Foam Flyer
My Feedback: (11)

If you want to wait and like the GWS series thats coming out they have a stearman on the way. It has the blue and yellow paint scheme and ailerons on the wing.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:31 PM
Renegade_2k
My Feedback: (1)

Default Guillows Stearman

Daywalker..

I ran across your post, and I had to reply. I am new to electrics, and I am currently converting the Guillows Stearman to fly with E-power. I am using an Astro Mighty Micro 010 motor and a Lithium Polymer battery (haven't settled on 2 or 3 cell yet..) for power. The servos will be the Hitec HS 55's on all surfaces, ail, elev, and rudder.

Having built almost every Guillows model ever made, back when I started modeling in the late 1960's, when I saw the newer electric stuff recently I just had to try the conversion. One trick I'm using is to replace the balsa stringers in the kit with basswood stringers from the LHS. In the Stearman, the tail surfaces are built flat, then a lamination of the stringers is done with the basswood, and sanded to an airfoil shape (instructions are on the plans). The basswood strips added a tremendous amount of strength to the airframe without a huge weight penalty. I also used aircraft plywood to make the "N" struts and the cabanes, as well as some strengthening chores for the rest of the plane. The airframe, bare, weighs right at 6 oz. All ready to fly, I'm calculating that it should be in the 12 to 13 ounce range.

The Stearman is a 28 inch wingspan airplane, however there are two wings. I haven't calculated the wing area yet, but I'm sure that the wing area/weight will provide a good flying airplane, that will be just about right for a calm evening.

It seems to me that weight is an over-critical concern in some builders minds. While it is important to keep the airframe light, it really does need just a little weight to fly correctly, and not be blown around like a kite with the softest breeze. The thing to keep in mind is strength when doing your conversion. Althought the Guillows planes were designed to fly, they were not designed to fly with R/C equipment, as we know it today. Several modifications are needed, but nothing too challenging for the skills of the average builder. Just think things through and plan ahead when building.

I will be posting some pictures of mine on here when it is completed, and I will have a construction article about the conversion on my personal website when I have time to complete it. Hope this helps you with your decision to build the Stearman. I'm sure you will really enjoy it, as I am.

Harry.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:33 PM
Renegade_2k

Default Guillows Stearman

Here's another mid construction shot...
Old 06-17-2003, 10:56 PM
daywalker
My Feedback: (5)

Harry-
Thanks for the advice ad encouragement! I will be looking for updates as well as a construction article from you. Maybe I will have to get off of my butt and build mine...
Old 06-18-2003, 05:13 AM
Mike Taylor

There are lots of Guillow's conversion threads in RCGroups ( http://rcgroups.com/forums/ ). Do a search for 'Guillows'. A lot of pretty and good flying airplanes...