Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone J-3 cub 480 motor swap

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone J-3 cub 480 motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:43 AM
sportrider_fz6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone J-3 cub 480 motor swap

after my brother crashed his j-3 breaking the gearbox, we decided to try and mount the motor/gearbox out of a PZ spitfire into the j-3.
basically all we did was line up the gearbox so all the screw holes were in contact with the firewall. we drilled pilot hole in the firewall and mounted the gearbox. the CG was off (nose heavy) the maden flight took full elevator to keep the plane fron diving and landing was tough. we ended up using three aa batterys in the tail to balance the plane. the end result is a J-3 that climbs really well (not vertical) and the flight speed is faster. flight times are limited using the stock J-3 batterys but that can be resolved. the downside is the 10x8 prop eleminates any ground take offs, due to ground clearance issues.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:52 PM
RedGN

Default RE: Parkzone J-3 cub 480 motor swap

So in the long run was it worth it?
Old 04-10-2008, 11:43 PM
sportrider_fz6

with a higher mah battery it would be. it easily out climbs a hobbyzone Supercub now and is faster in flight. with the stock battery the best flight only lasted 5 minutes, he's thinking of trying a 3S 2200mah lipo, that should make that plane rip, if the ESC will handle a lipo I know the motor will.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:48 PM
tam popo

Sportrider - If you use a 3S lipo of that size the motor will take but the ESC (without reprogramming) might not. Some will say the 480 won''t take it for long but I know loads of people who used it on 3S for over a year in different planes, with and without gearbox. You need more advice on the ESC and I can''t help you there, sorry. I know its possible to put 3S thru the Swift/Stryker and Spitfire esc''s but I think they need reprogramming using the Spitfire manual on page 9. Don''t take that as gospel cos I know one or 2 who will disagree, one person in particular. Nuff said, byeee and good luck.

I''ve got a J3 coming next week and will use it as stock to see how it performs then change to a brushless E-Max 2812/2822 and 2S. Again, good luck....