Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Great Planes YardStick

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes YardStick

I just thought I would post up my experience so far with the Yard Stick since most threads seem to be negative about this plane and steering people toward the Slow Stick.

I recently bought a YardStick to teach my wife the basics. I have flown a SS before and thought the yard stick might be a little sturdier bcause of the built up surfaces and no aluminum to bend on impact. I started out assembling the plane per the instructions and everything went as smooth as any other ARF I have built. The only thing I changed was removing the wash out from the wings... I made them nice and flat. I used the stock power system with the addition of a 7.4v lipo controlled by a GWS ESC.

My first flight went VERY well. After reading some of the threads here I thought this thing would hardly make it off the ground, but what I read could not have been more wrong. The Stick lifted (ROG) in about 8-10 feet and went into a steady 30 degree or so climb with adequate speed. The stock motor did just fine pulling it around in lazy circles and figure 8's. I did try a few loops, this requires a dive to gain speed, but went just fine. After completing the first few flights, I then went to a 3S lipo pack.... This really woke up the motor (don't expect a 280 can to last @ 11.1v) and made for a steeper climb out and easy loops, gave good pulling authority. The motor only lasted for 2 flights with the 3S pack, but this was expected.

This gave me a reason (more so the wife a reason) to upgrade to a BL motor to use the 3S packs day in and day out. So, after spending more on the BL setup than the plane itself[&:], I now have a hot-rodded YardStick. The power system is as follows:
Converted to a straight stick-type mount
GWS "C" gear box
EFlite Park 370 Inrunner BL (4100 Kv)
9x6 or 11x4 Prop
EFlite 20 amp BL ESC
3S 800mAh 10C LiPo

This power system is WAY overkill, but when using only 1/2 or less on the throttle you can extend flight times by around 50% over the stock setup. At full throttle I am afraid of folding the wing, but will give unlimited vertical and authority to do any 3ch trick you can think of. The good thing with this versus some of the other setups I have read about is that there is virtually no added weight and you can still slow it down to a crawl when you want to.

As I said, most threads I have found talk bad about this plane.... Yes the stock setup is weak, but not inadequate when the plane is set up correctly. I did not use the reccomended GP pack, but the difference in 7.2 vs 7.4 and weight would not make or break this plane.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Scota4570

Default RE: Great Planes YardStick

I am putting one together. The plastic parts that fit over the carbon shaft are WAAAAAY too tight on the carbin shaft. It should not take 50-pounds of force to budge them. Because of that I broke two of the locking tabs. It also makes accurately adjusting them impossible. I ended up drilling them out many thousands with a size D bit. A regular hobbyist would not have been able to assemble it.

I am using a 10 amp brushless motor and a lipo. That messes up the CG to the point that their instructions don't work. That will require more dis-assembly and messing around. Since I have glued the engine mount in place I am in a pickle. I hope I don't break anything else.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Foreverflying

Default RE: Great Planes YardStick

Hi Scota and Acs,
How did it go? I am building one too. Getting close to flying time. Here is the motor I am using: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2069
Do you think it will work well? I likewise took the washout out of the wing. I have also modified the wing tips with a 2" extension on the trailing edge, for a spiffy 0 to 2" taper, leading to trailing edge.
I will let you know how mine works!
Regards,
Mike