Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

Old 05-31-2008, 01:13 AM
Brazman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

Iamman,
I have no idea whats going in then sorry mate. It doesn't sound like stripped gears though. Is there any reason you think they might have got stripped? They are fairly strong gears for such a small servo. Maybe try a rebind? I have just installed and tested 82MG on my own 6200 with no issues. I am using a DX7 though that shouldn't make any difference. Hope you get it sorted. The 82mg's are very nice servos.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:10 AM
Gryphon

Chippedprop,

Since we are going to be getting together for multiple radar runs and Wattmeter readings on your new Stryker, I guess we can add one extra radar run if you are up for it.

The extra run can be with added weight under the hatch, but with C.G. set to same point as earlier tests. This should be done with equivalent state of charge on battery.

If you are interested and you remind me, I could bring two rolls of coins and maybe the weight could be spread around and taped in place, Do you have any lead weights from fishing gear? Those are some random thoughts to stimulate your ideas. Your wish is my command.

If you really decide to get into it, we could try a second prop with different pitch for different speed. A med load prop and a faster prop.

I talked to Stryker_Viking on the phone today and he had a very good point. He said maybe we would see different results depending on speed.

If you want to put on your Sherlock Holmes hat, I'll be the side kick holding the radar gun.

By the way I don't mind if I have to duck down a little occasionally. Lets just say King_Paul, Stryker_Viking and I got used to that last year Should I be admitting to that?....maybe not....maybe I dreamed the whole thing...yes that's it.

That is one of the reasons that I bough the Eagle Tree data logger and the speed sensor and S_V bought the How Fast unit.

***Wait a minute, since I installed the speed and altitude sensors on a spare Stryker nose, we could pop that on with my data logger if you want. Your call.

You can have a graph of 5.5X4.5 prop unloading AMPs in flight as speed increases for a bonus...besides climbing rate.

With the speed sensor onboard, wind speed will not be a factor, because we will be measuring airspeed. Also safer too.
Radar reading requires a day with no wind.
Isn’t there little hand held wind speed measuring tools?

Gryphon
Old 05-31-2008, 05:04 AM
Flightops_69

Yes Gryph, there are. The weather shop guys I work next too have them. (hand held wind speed indicators)
Old 05-31-2008, 12:32 PM
iamman711

Brazman, I realized my Hs-82MGs needed to have the travel adjustment reduced to about 80% or so both ways to correct the issue.

How about you guys... are you getting 100% travel for elevator (up down), aileron (left right) or slightly less like me?

Thanks have a great weekend yall
Old 05-31-2008, 10:16 PM
Stryker_Viking

ORIGINAL: iamman711

Brazman, I realized my Hs-82MGs needed to have the travel adjustment reduced to about 80% or so both ways to correct the issue.

How about you guys... are you getting 100% travel for elevator (up down), aileron (left right) or slightly less like me?

Thanks have a great weekend yall

iamman711

My settings on the DX7 for the last 3 Strykers have been as follows, and I am using the last hole at the end of the servo arm and the control horns:

Travel:
Aileron - 80%
Elevator - 55%

Dual Rate:
Aileron Low - 60% Expo - 85%
Aileron High - 110% Expo - 85%
Elevator Low - 55% Expo - 85%
Elevator High - 95% Expo - 90%

These settings works well for me, my flying style is all about keeping the speed up with long smooth "jet-like" turns and rolls.
It's a matter of personal taste I guess, and in my opinion there's nothing as ugly as a plane that can't "turn pretty" but is nervously twitching its way through the air...

Stryker_Viking
Old 06-01-2008, 07:54 AM
smoothound

Just a quickie :-)

Having ripped my Stryker to bits, I'm now reassembling it and I've forgotten if I should be lining the Elevons up with the top wing surface or the bottom wing surface? [X(]
Old 06-01-2008, 11:12 AM
chippedprop

smoothbound
Flat with the bottom
Make sure to turn radio on - zero all trims on the radio - set elevons to the bottom of the wing-move elevons severial times thru full motion range-I make complete circles with the sticks - recheck if they are still set right
GO FLY !!!!!
Adjust your trims on the radio to fly hands off level

CP
Old 06-01-2008, 11:50 AM
smoothound

Cheers Chippedprop

I thought that was the way but I wasn't 100%

Just waiting for my new motor to arrive and decide on a new pack and then we'll be away [8D]
Old 06-01-2008, 11:12 PM
icejay55

hey gryphon here are some pictures of the stryker i am building i should be done and flyong tommorow i am still trying to decide witch mega motor to go with but i will have it figured out by tommorow
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59701.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	961933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77355.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	961934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13848.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	961935  
Old 06-02-2008, 01:04 AM
Gryphon

icejay55,

If you have more than one MEGA in your possession and want help to choose between them let me know. I can help Monday afternoon.

If you are trying to buy one, we better chat more.

I do recall that in one of your posts, you said that you had a 16/25/4. If that is the 480 size 16/25/4 1270KV you can run that for a while and then reset your goals to see how much faster you need it to go.

The only reason I say that is because; In case that was meant to be 16/15/4 which is a 400 sized. Even that motor is good enough to start with, so don't be in a rush to order a new one tomorrow.

We can have a few chats first to get you the best one for your specific needs.

I also recall you having a 60A ESC which is more than good enough to max out either one of those 2 motors (amp wise).

For the 16/25/4 1270 KV, you may not be able to max it out with 8X8 prop on 3S nor can you run a bigger prop easily. It will fly fine on 3S but feel free to throw all the voltage that you can at it. It'll take it and is rated for 9S...actually just over.
Work with me as far as batteries that you have on hand that are identical and in same condition and that can be put in series with thought to their amp rating and your ESC voltage limits and prop size. I would not go over 50A on that motor, even on 6S it will not be breathing hard and will just barely get you to 120 MPH max in straight and level flight with no wind.

Assuming 50A from battery with 3.5V per cell:

3S 90-94 MPH depending on what APC E 8X8 draws.
4S 105 MPH.
5S 113 MPH
6S 120 MPH
{if you have 2 good 4S packs, 130 MPH is possible with High Voltage ESC}

Above is the best I could do away from Motocalc and my computer.

I wanted to give you quick initial ideas before you make a quick move on a possible purchase.

Gryphon
Old 06-02-2008, 05:55 PM
chippedprop

ORIGINAL: smoothound

Just a quickie :-)

Having ripped my Stryker to bits, I'm now reassembling it and I've forgotten if I should be lining the Elevons up with the top wing surface or the bottom wing surface? [X(]
I need to make my reply CLEAR
I use balsa preshaped elevons on all my Strykers and with those you simply follow the shape of the wing which will make the elevons match up with the flat bottom of the wing

It's been so long sense I flown a stock plane that I do not know on the match up-Sorry if I mislead anyone
If you know the answer PLEASE post and teach an ole dog a new tick!!!

If you have the instruction book that will have the answer
CP
Old 06-02-2008, 06:04 PM
chippedprop

Well I'm stuck on my build of the new plane.

I'll have to go to the LHS tuesday at lunch to get what I need.
Plus I need to restock on balsa parts and pieces-and covering

Yup I'm going to use low temp iron covering
Exp. on crashed stryker and it works-hoping to add smooth cover and should help on flex of the foam-like the extreme tape
Tape !! ahh yes the early daysduct tapethen colored duct tapethen and my favorite clear duct tape. Instant repair
I know some of you use it-but I just can't bear to put tape on a nice clean-streamlined plane-it's just not me.
CP
Old 06-02-2008, 06:23 PM
chippedprop

LET"S TALK SAFETY

Yes everyones favorite subject!!!
As I read thru the monthly flying mags I receive, which I read EVERY page, why you never know what you may learn some other parts of YOUR hobby.
I was reading and article about a guy who bought a prop seconded hand-long story short.....It fractured/broke on his plane at WOT-not one but BOTH blades.
Lucky for him he was not in the path of the blades. So don't do this.
1-buy only name brand props-props are cheap compaired to the total cost of your plane and you
2-DON'T use a cracked or chipped prop
3- ALWAYS-ALWAYS balance your prop it runs smoother/better for your motor and plane and mountswe're turning 18,000 to 30,000 plus rpm's
just do it. I will post a picture post or a How To vid if need be on this.

I ALWAYS treat the prop as a loaded gunI haven't been shot yet

Just remember this rule of thumb:

If you do something bad flying it reflects on everyone in the hobby
Example: Last year at Joe Nall the AMA holds a meeting-they do every year. One topic came up about a turbine powered jet crashing into spectors and almost killing a small child..............tuff the live with that on your mind.
Be safe how and where you fly. Don't do something to hurt yourself-property-others

OK SAFETY SESSION OVER
Chippedprop
Old 06-02-2008, 06:51 PM
chippedprop

I think this will give you a fell for the Joe Nall experience
Click the link then click video
and then you can check out the pictures

http://stansphotos.com/Joe%20Nall%202008-5.htm
Old 06-02-2008, 07:11 PM
chippedprop

Chat Live with Chippedprop
This Saturday night Eastern daylight savings time 8:30 pm
You Must have a Yahoo instant messenger account with is free
This is a test run of this ideait could be a great time or a disaster-I'll give it a shot
CP
Old 06-02-2008, 09:13 PM
f-15fighter

nice idea CP, way to be available to help out newbies like me. Thanks for trying!!!

Caleb
Old 06-03-2008, 07:01 AM
chippedprop

f-15fightter

Hey I just noticed your pretty close by. I went 2 years at Pfeiffer. Maybe we could meet and fly.
Gryphon you interested?? We could meet at f-15 flying field should be equal tavel for you and me plus a 3rd party to over see testing on the "new motor"
shh!! secert stuff
Plus someone to run the camera on each other and radar gun
Think it over
CP
Old 06-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Brazman

new motor?..tell me tell me tell me
Old 06-03-2008, 10:16 AM
icejay55

ok these are the motors that i have i will let you guys pick the best one to use for my new strryker i bought these motors from a hobby shop that went out of buissness i spent 300.00 on everything esc motor and a couple of batteries here is the list

16-15-6 kv1500
16-15-5 kv1800
16-25-2 kv2650
16-15-4 kv2200
16-15-3 kv3000

axi 2212-34 this i dont know the kv the lable came off
esc are 3-30amp
2-40 amp
3-60 amp

batteries
flightpower 2 3300mah 3cell

thunder power 3 2200mah 3cell
i might be selling some of this stuff but not sure yet i also have e-flite motors 480 450 25bl 32
so guys let me know you think is best for the stryker
Old 06-03-2008, 10:45 AM
iamman711

hobby shop going out of business? i bet they never had anything on sale ever. if i were you i would have bought half the store. prices in this industry retain their value considerably well.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:56 PM
icejay55

he really did not go out of buissness i think he decided to close shop after his son died in iraq and he lost his wife due to cancer all in the same year i think that is the real reason. because i use to go alot and it was packed with people buying planes and cars. Prices were a little bit high on some things but he always had a lot of stock somtimes to much of everything you can bearly walk in his shop. we became close friends and when called and told me he was closing i bought i can get my hands on.

anyway you guys what should i use my highest kv motor witch is 3000 or lower to my 2650 this is were i get confused with the kv
Old 06-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Gryphon

icejay55,

Here is the link for that AXI motor, click this link and look at bottom of that page.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-axi2212.htm

I believe you will get your best performance and best efficiency for 90+ MPH speed with the 16-25-2 2650 KV between the motors that you listed.

Use it with 3S-3300 and your 60A ESC, 6X5.5 prop after the battery is cycled.

I assume 25C pack, but you can prop accordingly. Expect just over 100 MPH with great climbing.
Make it exceptional climbing if we can get away with APC Pylon 6.5X5.0 due to ESC limit.

chippedprop,

I just bought some pre-shaped elevon stock. I guess I need to build a normal 125-130 MPH 16/25/2 4S Stryker.
I only need a single item to have a complete 2nd plane, but I need to hold off on that part for a reason. I don't see why I cannot build the whole plane mean while.

The MEGA_Zilla II can be maidened when we meet with 5S.

I would be willing to meet you both. You and I met in person. Since then I had a chance to speak to f-15fightter on the phone.

It would be great to hang out with you two both as long as I get to hold the radar gun....LOL....

I will try to catch up with other PMs or posts later on. I have to run now.

Gryphon
Old 06-03-2008, 08:22 PM
chippedprop

Gryphon

Oh No !!!

YOU HAVE TO FLY-TOO!!!

We have to work on our routine for Joe Nall next year-you know like the speed wings-LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Made it to the LHS and am ready to finish the Stryker build
Will get some time in on Wednesday
Should be very interesting as I'm pulling all the tips and tricks out
CP
Old 06-03-2008, 08:26 PM
chippedprop

Well I will have to change the Chat time to Sunday night 8:30pm EDST
Old 06-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Brazman

You could just go for pure brute force like me . I will be maidening this weekend too weather permitting. Only rain will stop me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.