Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:27 PM
moparmyway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

Medusa 28-56-2800 V2 (actual about 3300KV motor), and MEGA 28-35-1 (3450-3550 advertised KV range, will not be far off)...both same size and weight.
Gryphon
Do you think the Castle 125 will be enough for this MEGA, or will their 180 be needed ? (we are still talking 3s and single battery)
Old 04-20-2009, 09:31 PM
k2forte

Hello fellow Darksiders, I've just purchased a couple of props just for curiosity...I was wondering if these props (APC 5.5 x 4.5 Electric & APC 5 x 5 Electric) are suitable for my Mega Strykers which are all fitted out with 3700mah 5cells, AR500 full range receivers, SCORPION Commarders 26v 120A esc ,Co-Pilots & my powerful Mega 16/25/2 motors.

Anyway soon I should be making a future purchase on the new Hyperion Emeter II with RDU Combo just to get the right measurements for my setups.

k2. [8D]

EDIT:
p.s oh I have been using these two props for the past 9months (APC 6 x 4E & APC 6 x 5.5E).
Old 04-21-2009, 02:05 AM
Gryphon

moparmyway,

No more guesses and forecasts till more specific speed, other comments are made.

We can do "WHAT IF"s till tomorrow.

k2forte,

I've always said to not run the 16/25/2 on 5S when using stock Stryker airframe. At 90A it will be slower than 4S with same AMPs.

Well I used to say 5S till I learned a lesson by actual radar testing 1 ½ years ago.

If you have large 4S, you will have a lot more fun with 6X5.5" or APC Pylon 6.5X5.5 or so.

With 5S climbing and acceleration will suffer.

Why does it go a little slower with 5S? because the 5.5" diameter prop cannot overcome the drag of the airframe at such high speeds....expect 125 MPH on 5S, but about 130 MPH on 4S and 6.5" diameter prop.

You can always try abusing the motor further, but not much of a gain above proven limits.

Remember it is not always about watts. I'll bet the farm 16/25/2 2650KV on 6S will go slower than 5S.

Why do some motors run more cells? Because they have lower KV but they also run less amps....anyway no need to write a book on motors.

If you have large 4S, I suggest you run that instead.

Or get a Funjet or Projeti and run your motor on 5S in it for 150 MPH because the drag of airframe is less.

With 5S, you better throw very firm to get any of these planes airborne.

Gryphon
Old 04-21-2009, 04:43 AM
k2forte

But Gryphon my stryker is not stock with all C.F onboard.

Plus I have'nt been hand launching my stryker for a few months now...remember my bungee rail launcher. Well about the lipo situtation...I still have a few 4S packs plus 3x 5S batterys(brand new by the way).

But you did'nt answer my prop question, you know the 5x5 and 5x4.5 props that I recently purchased just for fun.

When I fully recover from my radiation therapy and I can completly walk properly without a walking stick, I promise you some utube footage of my future stryker low high speed runs.

Cheers.[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 04-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Larry Driskill

Gryphon and Crew,

Well Rats, I'm seeing where my idea of separate "Records" for 3s, 4s, 5s, and 6s was not nearly so brilliant as I thought.

So please forget that I muddied the water needlessly.

I suppose what I want to do is better handled this way:

What are some/the suggested bits and pieces for this Stryker?

I want to go 120/125 MPH and do it with a Stryker that I can hand launch in calm winds. And I'm more of a Road Course guy than a Drag Racer (I want to "Turn and Burn" as well as make high speed straight and level passes). Strong vertical is great fun. So we have a weight limitation.

I'll buy the needed components that I don't have on hand. The money pot is not unlimited, but I have been pretty disciplined and well behaved lately and can now spend a few dollars on the fun stuff.

I have a MEGA 16/25/3 and like MEGAs. I need a new motor as the 16/25/3 is busy in another Stryker. Let's use the stock mount. Buying a MEGA 16/25/2 or a 16/25/1 is not too tough a problem.

The largest battery I have is a 3 cell Neu 3300. I also have a 25C 2750, a 25C 2800, a 25C 2450 and several 20C 2200s. My charger will handle 6s. Buying a battery is on the table too.

My highest Amp ESC is a 75 Amp Atlas, the next is an 60 Amp from HobbyKing, followed by a 45 Amp Phoenix. If I need another ESC, let's sneak it in there too.

I'll build the airframe to handle the speed and G's.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Gryphon

k2forte,

By stock airframe, I meant the thickness and drag of airframe...I was not referring to airframe strength mods.

Again 5S is not great....will work and expect to have your ears hurt some too and to make people around you excessively upset due to extra high RPM...way more than necessary....less climbing, less speed, extra weight, harder working motor, harder launch, less acceleration, warmer battery for zero added benefit....as compared to 4S.

5.5X4.5 should radar 125 MPH if you start really far back. up to 100A static but will drop in flight.

5X5 will be a HUGE mistake even though the amps will be closer to 80A range as compared to 100A static.

Might want to try ..... no great props for that in a Stryker I think....well after packs are cycled, try running 5.5X4.5 on LOW esc timing advance and tell me the draw.

What is your goal absolute max speed or more climbing?

What are the most amps you would want to run?

I wish you had 4S-4500 or 4S-5000 25C instead of 5S-3700.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Larry Driskill,

16/30/2 2130 KV for up to 5S max or 16/25/3 1700KV for 6S given Stryker.

16/25/2 and your current packs will need small prop...you didn’t say if those packs are 3S or 4S.

16/25/3 is a better match to your current packs than 16/25/2.

Also for 6S, your (2) packs for series need to be identical in every way, even age and performance, not just brand and specs.

I know of only 1 place that may have 16/30/2 2130KV in stock it was ordered special over a month ago in 3.2mm and 5mm shaft.
Better snag it while do-able.

16/30/2 2130 on 5S-3300 25+C it should do easy 130 MPH and have an easier time of it compared to 16/25/2 on 4S-3850+.
And 16/30/2 is a good match for your 75A ESC..hope ESC handles 5S.

Your 75A ESC is not great match for 16/25/2 (higher amps and only 4S in Stryker).

WOW factor of 16/30/2 will be awesome...can make more power than 16/25/X, and 16/30/2 will swing a bigger prop than 16/25/2 given your packs on hand.

Otherwise go with another 16/25/3 1700

I think it may only cost you extra $10 or so....let me know if you are serious about 16/30/2 2130KV and I will make a call.
16/30/2C means combat means 5mm shaft...same specs otherwise.

Gryphon
Old 04-22-2009, 04:13 AM
k2forte

Oh I didn't know people modded the thickness of their Strykers air frame...interesting.

Well I might of purchased the wrong number of cells(5S) but I will still use it with my 4cells. My goal has always been max speed. And the most amps I would run the motor at is around 85 to 92 or what ever this motor can handle.

Hope that answers your questions Gryphon but right now I'm quiet frustrated with this illness, keeping away from my flying field. [&o]

Anyway happy days are around the corner.

k2forte
Old 04-22-2009, 06:52 AM
chippedprop

K2forte

EVERYONE CHANNEL POSITIVE THOUGHTS......PICTURE HIM FLYING.......BIG SMILE.....YOU KNOW THE FEELING!!!!!!!

Fight thru it. The reward will be flying once again.......plus I like having friends who stick around
Old 04-22-2009, 06:59 AM
chippedprop

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT EVERYONE HAS A STANDING INVITE TO THE WORLDS LARGEST FLY IN

JOE NALL
MAY 13-16 2009

IF YOU CAN, DRIVE UP FOR THE DAY. MOST PEOPLE, WHO FLY IN THIS, TAKE A WHOLE WEEK OF VACATION. SO PEOPLE WILL BE THERE MONDAY MAY 11TH
HERE'S THE LINK

http://www.joenall.com/

If you have questions PM me. It is NOT to be missed. Period!!!!!!!!

Chippedprop
Old 04-22-2009, 08:30 AM
critterhunter

ORIGINAL: k2forte

Oh I didn't know people modded the thickness of their Strykers air frame...interesting.

k2forte
When you've beat up a Stryker body streamlining it can remove the damage and vastly improve it's air speed. The GBX triple stator motor I ran on my streamlined Stryker produced MUCH more air speed than the current stock body it's on. You can see some photos and build steps in the following two links. This body was badly damaged in stock form so it was a perfect candidate to streamline.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_47...tm.htm#6158664

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_47...tm.htm#7815723

If you want to slick out a Stryker body without losing it's identity you can just sand down the airfoil. If you want to go a bit further but still make sure everybody knows it's a Stryker then sand off the fake air intacts. If you want to go even further then check out what I did above.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:14 AM
k2forte

Is this the best RC forum or what!...thank you critterhunter for your valuable infoThanks for your kind words CP....what ever you channeled to me sure worked this morning as I maiden flight my Orange Stryker; specs...mega 16/25/2(I lubed the bearings with high speed oil), ESC SCORPION COMMANDER 26v 120A SBEC(an excellent and trustworthy speed controller plus no ubec required for higher cells), of course my Co-Pilot works like a charm...brought her home in one piece, I used my 3700 flightpro 5cell & prop APC 6x5.5E.

And Gryphon you were right, at 8am this morning I think I woke everybody upman she was screaming at 80%throttle!!![X(]....and boy she is dam fast! Flight time was around 9 to 10 mins...at times I though I was going to lose her from the windy conditions high up there but feel the power of my Mega motor mother nature. As usual I bungee launched her with more up elevator and she rocketed her way up high in a split second(I wish I had recorded this event...dam!).

I risked my health for this to happen but it sure was well worth the effort.I a bit sore on the legs now but I'll get over it.

Later dudes.[8D]
Old 04-23-2009, 07:58 AM
chippedprop

K2forte

GREAT. I'll keep the positive flow going....you have to do your part too.

Glad the maiden was a success !!!!!!!!!! That's one of the best feelings in the world, you put the time-energy-thoughts-pain into the plane and off it goes. Great stuff.
Cp
Old 04-23-2009, 08:02 AM
chippedprop

K2forte

What do you like about the Scorpion ESC ??
I have a dealer about 30 miles away and I'm thinking about trying one out. The on line reviews are good, but nothing beats 1st hand info.

Now we go live to K2forte for this in depth report................K2 what say you???

Cp
Old 04-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Gryphon

k2forte,

I'm glad your maiden went well and that the Co-pilot is working out for you.

*** I have serious concerns regarding your prop choice.

I have SERIOUS concerns regarding your prop choice...enough to not even ask you for a simple wattmeter reading unless you already have done it.

You are extremely and grossly over propped...

1) **If you have previously done a wattmeter test, please share with us the data.

2) What is the "C" rating for your pack.

3) How did you cycle your pack?

4) Since the motor is cheaper than a couple of your packs by a long shot....you might consider MEGA 16/30/2 2130 KV for a much more pleasant flying experience, much happier battery and much happier motor, less noise, better performance all around with APC Pylon 6.5" diameter prop. Higher efficiency motor and same for prop. You can sell your Fairly NEW 16/25/2 2650 KV on the thread if you want.

Your 6" prop AMP draw is around......I better not say till you comment....you are most likely going to regret it.
If you switch to 5.5" diameter props, Make sure to throw very firm to get the bird launched.

5) How did you decide on that prop. A simulator or a comment or PM by who? Just curious, feel free to answer this in a PM.{If it was in a PM I have to know who, I believe I know already}.

6) Pics brother....pics...Hurry up while the plane looks good...All of my planes look ugly, you know that by now...so you are guaranteed to have a better looking plane.
At the very least take lots of pics under hatches for your own private files, you will find those useful at some point...Regardless or posting or not, please take those pics ASAP.

Later my friend,

I wish you my VERY BEST.

Gryphon
Old 04-23-2009, 09:08 PM
k2forte

What I love about the NEW Scorpion ESC version is.... 1:it's easy to program with all the necessitys supplied (my source http://www.arkinnovations.com/shop/i...roducts_id=890 )...2:the small golden heatsink seems to keep temps low for some reason & 3:very smooth, small &thin to fit in those tight spaces on your Strykers...oh and durable aswell from those hard fast impacts(crashes). Just try it out CP you won't regret it!

Gryphon sorry if these pics did'nt live up to your expectations...I'm no neat freak myself plus I had to use my spare esc, because I had to take my regular esc(Scorpion) to be placed in my next build (fluro green)plus my spare esc is dualsky 100amps which is normally used on heils....thats why I had to widen the hatch at the back heaps more but look at my pics and you will see how small these new ESC SCORPION COMMANDER 26v 120A SBEC version2 are compare to it's previous generation version1.pic

Oh and I ventured out again this morning and had my second successful flight at 100%throttle...but forgot to properly press the record button.[:@]

Well it wasn't so successful after all....during a top speed run across the blue sky, I heard a loud pop!...then their was no engine power, luckly for my co-pilot it helped me safely glide her back down for an emergency landing. Apparently that loud popping sound was the prop...it wasn't mounted on the motor securly....it just spat out taking with it the Propeller Adapter too. I didn't bother to search the area for it, but it sure scared the hell out of me when I though the worst had just happened(fried motor!!).[:-]

Anyway about the wattmeter test Gryphon, well you'll just have to wait until I purchase the new emeter2 for a more accurate reading...I don't like my eflite watt meter.

All my battery pack are 25c rated. I normally charge then discharge the packs 3 times before I test fly them...maybe you can educate me in this area since it's a weakness part of my knowledge.[sm=50_50.gif]

Enjoy the pics and soon I'll provide a utube footage for you all.

k2forte.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38948.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1186157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79952.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1186158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22711.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1186159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30863.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1186160  
Old 04-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Gryphon

k2forte,

Seriously?, you have a wattmeter but don't want to use in an extreme condition like this....Correct me if I read it wrong. Mean while you are flying till you get another one?

If so I am just shocked.

APC E 5.5X4.5 drew 100A static for me. your 6X5.5 might be 15-20A more??? Maybe fewer AMPs because of excessive stress on your pack will drop the voltage some more which in turn will cause it to have a little less amps....while damaging your pack.

You are into your packs burst range....I believe you are.

What is your ESC's electronic timing advance set on? Auto?

Hope to hear your wattmeter results for 5.5X4.5 and 6X5.5

If you are that far above 100A, you are abusing your motor....hopefully it will not damage its magnets, and that it keeps performing just as good.....2000W from 110 gram motor?

I only know of I guy who made a mistake of doing the same and he blew the capacitor(s) of his fairly new Castle Creations 125A ESC.....Don't lower the throttle way too fast after a hard pass.

Gryphon
Old 04-24-2009, 08:33 AM
critterhunter

By the way, I normaly hot wire off (heat up a knife if you don't have a hot wire cutter) the extra foam in bulky areas such as the fake air intacts, then use an orbital or belt sander. The belt sander will really take off foam quickly but when I get close I like to use an orbital sander to fine tune my final contours. Easy as pie.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:30 AM
k2forte

Gryphon you must be worried so much so your starting to scare me![]

I'll tell what ...it's 2am in the morning now, how about sometime this morning I'll use my old wattmeter and record the results on video for you. I'll promise you I won't fly until these various prop tests are complete and will wait for your feedback on the results.

So no more flying until you give me the ok signal.

critterhunter I'm so interested in trying out a different approach once my stykers start to lose abit of their epp foam during the excessive use....this is an area I am so excited to try out and see what results I can obtain for using an on board RDU from the Hyperion Emeter II.[sm=49_49.gif]

Oh I forgot to ask you Gryphon, what method of pack cycling do you normally use...all I've been doing is simply charging and straight after discharging the new packs 3 times before I fully charge it once more and make my way out to my flying field. Is wise using my method or do you have a better method of prolonging the life of these lipos. I'll like your feedback on this since I'm finding it to be a critical area for saving alot of money well spent on these expensive packs.

Later,
k2.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Strykerstriker

Gryphon you must be worried so much so your starting to scare me![]

K2forte, Gryphon has a crystal ball (head) witch he takes his answers from.... and it is amazingly accurate. So if he says its wrong i would deffinetly go easy until you have some numbers to go by...or else the suprise/crash/fire could cost you a sh.. load of money
Old 04-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Gryphon

k2forte,

I will edit and add to this post when I get some time later today.

No video is needed...really. Also Imagine if someone sees that video on you tube they might think it is o.k. to push so far above 100A on that MEGA 16/25/2 2650KV motor.

6X5.5 is a 120+MPH prop on 4S.......BUT you have it on 5S.
If you say the AMPs are not well above 100A, it will make me wonder big time...we will see.

Record A, V, W.

I must admit, the single flight each on 3S/100A and 5S/100A did not result on a hot motor for me. They were in North Carolina during month of September, so the outside air temp was warm....I had a small snap on heat sink on motor.

I bet you were flying @ 130 MPH at the very least.

Mean while you will be a lot better off with 6X4. Start out with probably with too many amps but will reduce a bunch in flight (you'll hear RPM increase as it unloads).
For more speed than 6X4, go with 5.5X4.5 which will require a harder throw so the plane does not hit the ground on launch....It is doable...I did it.

***Cycle write up: It is after the fact now, you already used your pack. I will try to do it later by editing this post.

Gryphon
Old 04-24-2009, 04:21 PM
moparmyway

To all whom I owe a package to...............EVERYTHING went out today !!!!!!
Please let me know in PM when they arrive !!!!!
Sorry for the delay, some guys waited WAY TOO LONG !!!!!

Video soon also...................weather is getting warmer, I wonder if my motors can take the power in the coming heat.......................we will see !!!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 07:24 PM
chippedprop

ORIGINAL: moparmyway

To all whom I owe a package to...............EVERYTHING went out today !!!!!!
Please let me know in PM when they arrive !!!!!
Sorry for the delay, some guys waited WAY TOO LONG !!!!!

Video soon also...................weather is getting warmer, I wonder if my motors can take the power in the coming heat.......................we will see !!!!!
He really had to wait for the snow to melt. LOL
It made it up to 86 here in SC today. YES

Summer time is here.
Cp
Old 04-24-2009, 08:49 PM
ace1726

Hey Gryphon, remember when I posted about my combo???? Well guess what, I finally went ot test it and. It flew okay for a couple of minutes and then just quit. I still had control of elevons, just no throttle. So after I landed it I checked the batt, and it wasn't even warm. Of course I threw it up again and the same thing happened. After I brought it home, I decided to re-check everything. First off, remember how it was only pulling 48 amps, well I though the 6x4 was on there... WRONG!! It was a 5xsomething. Also, I still had the old 40amp sc installed. WOW!! So now I installed my 60 w/external BEC and my 6x4 prop. It went up to 60 amps and just at 748watts. Does that make more sense now??? BTW, is it normal for the plane to want to bank left when I go full throttle??? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:23 PM
k2forte

Well I did what you told me to do Gryphon and you were right!....in the amp mode I was at 75 to 80%thr. and my stryker was hitting around 80amps!!!thats when I said to myself dude this 6x5.5 prop is generating not only too many amps but too much heat from my mega motor!

So I backed off and will now just run 6x4E prop and when I purchase my emeter2,I'll record with the RDU device onboard my stryker the full accurate results. Plus I'll test some other props aswell just for the record and for you Mega 16/25/2 owners out there....be careful with 5cells and 6x5.5 props in the future you mega guys.

I'll keep you all posted in a couple of weeks time with my results.

Later,
k2.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:49 AM
Gryphon

Folks, How about a quick exercise?

Take a look at post # 2596 and his other (2) posts which were 2 pages back.

What do you see, and what are your guesses? Might want to look at my responses in case there is anything helpful in it or not.

***No, this is not a trick question or anything; just trying to mix it up for us so we get to work with each other....People who post on this thread are my friends and I don't have shy friends. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Come on...what are your observations? [sm=idea.gif]

__________________________________________________ _

ace1726,

Regarding the installed prop size being different than you originally thought; Don't even worry about that, this is not the first or last time that this has happened.....it happens enough. You might even see a couple of guys raise their hands

Give it another day or so till we get a couple of responses and we see what we can figure out together.

__________________________________________________ __

Today I went to a local fly-in and had fun. It was under 1 hour away from home. Saw a Funjet with a MicroDAN motor on it chasing some of the fast/Large Nitro boys at above 100 MPH, Funjet was a bit faster than them.
Then I started to fantasize that a whole bunch of us Stryker owners would one day be flying together. [sm=bananahead.gif]

Hope you are all having a great weekend so far.

Gryphon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.