Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS E Starter ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 03:14 PM
JeffTRS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS E Starter ??

I am still looking to purchase a simple park flyer. The guy at the hobbie shop says this plane will handle more wind than the slow stick. I am a total newbie.

I understand its not as slow as the SS but its stall speed is 7-8 which is ok with me. I plan to fly in my front yard mostly.

http://www.leisuretimehobbies.net/Planes/gws1045.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	76842_32730.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	45785  
Old 05-08-2003, 10:23 PM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

Default GWS E Starter ??

E-Starter will definately fly in much higher winds; 15mph isn't much of a problem. That said:

* If it's your first plane and you're teaching yourself, I'd say go with the SS first.

* it won't exactly fly in most front yards; at least a full soccer field just to a little comfortable (and you will still have to be stearing the plane all the time). The bigger the open space, the better.

* Unlike the SS, it won't turn on a dime, hence the need for a larger space.

*Go with either 7 or 8 cell AAA NiMh pack for the E-Stater; GWS and many others offer the pack.

Again, unless you have something like a 3 soccer field size lot or bigger to fly the plane, start out with the SS first ... you can always transfer all te gear to the E-Stater later on.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:20 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default Slow Stick/E-starter

Good advice from Peter, as usual.

You should read the latest (July 2003) 'Backyard Flyer - on p.58 there is a comprehensive, and very complimentary, flight report on the E-starter by Norm Bogenschild.

Also, in the "Reviews" section of RC Universe there is an even more comprehensive, and equally complimentary, building and flying report on the Slow Stick.

These may help (or confuse!) your decision making - but remember the old adage, "the more info the better the decision"! Generally the best trainer is the slowest and most stable you can get.

Cheers, Phil
Old 05-08-2003, 11:27 PM
JeffTRS

Default Hmmm

Thanks Peter!

That persuades me more because there is alot more knowledge about the SS and more hobbie stores carry it. I live in TX at this time of year the winds average 12 MPH so I may need becareful with the SS when I get it.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:41 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default Slow Stick review

I had a hell of a time tracking down that review of the Slow Stick - so here is the link to it:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/reviews.ph...ew&reviewid=75

Good luck, Cheers, Phil
Old 05-09-2003, 02:02 AM
goofup

Default GWS E Starter ??

Learning to fly is challenging.
Learning to fly in the wind is challenging.
Learing to fly AND fly in the wind is really, really challenging!!!

I agree with the others, get a Slow Stick first. You can get faster planes that can handle some wind later.

Look at it this way: birds have enough trouble flying when its windy... and you're trying to do it by remote control!