Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone f4U Corsair Rtf

Old 10-17-2009, 06:11 AM
TrojanLawnDart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone f4U Corsair Rtf

I guess I should have said,"whistling death". Oops.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:56 PM
bute56
My Feedback: (1)

Could I bind the 5 ch. transmitter that comes with the RTF version of the corsair to any other 2.4ghz receivers I buy for other planes in the future? Do I need to just get the BNF version and buy the DX6i TX seperately? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Shortbuss

Holy crap what an awesome plane!!! Just flew it for the first time today. Its funny I skydive, paraglide and all that stuff. But I was nervous to fly this plane!!! I tried and rolling take off and tried to abort when i almost hit my jeep. It just came off the ground and hit a parking curb and tore both wheels off. I picked it up and threw it. I was stunned to see how fast this thing was. Wow it covers ground fast, and climbs like mad too!! My supercub would take forever to climb high. This one does it in seconds!! Within five minutes I swapped over to high rates did some inverted flying, loops, rolls, stalls ect. It feels so solid when it flies. I love flying big lazy circles then diving in for a high speed low pass! I was confident real quick its so smooth. I found the motor misleading. It doesnt scream but it pulls really hard. Oh and this plane glides forever with no power!

My landing was a bit rough, and because I had no landing gear or skids one of the alerion servos caught and was pulled out. Bent the rod too. Ten minutes and some glue and it looks the same as new!

DAMN I LOVE THIS PLANE!!

One year old supercub for sale! I have no need for it now!!
Old 11-07-2009, 10:17 PM
LarryV

I feel the same about the Corsair I have eight planes but the F4U is my favorite.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:02 AM
foehammer29

im hoping to maiden mine next weekend if weather prevails
Old 11-09-2009, 10:04 PM
mad web tv scientist

hammer, you will love this plane too, guaranteed!
After turning my web media reader off and on at least three times today, lo and behold, there was the missing F4U thread appearing on the first page of the RCU forum. The glitch that has been automatically scrolling me back to the top of the page after only a few minutes of post reading also seems to be fixed after annoying me for literally months. Will wonders never cease?

bute, assuming you have a good stock F4U transmitter, it will bind with any "bind and fly" Spektrum receiver successfully. Some of us have had some really "exciting adventures" that are discussed back last spring on this thread. Good luck.

Jewfish and rolie, how is your orientation situation going? I found that with enough practice orientation problems tend to improve. Unfortunately, in my case at least, once the plane is 150 - 200 feet away on a dark dreary day all color tends to disappears but my orientation situation definitely seems to be improving.

Thanks everybody for keeping this thread fun during my awol!

BANZAI!!

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif]
[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:10 PM
rolieharris

I'm doing a lot better thanks. You're right, I love this plane! Sorry to see winter come.
Rolie
Old 11-12-2009, 05:44 PM
mad web tv scientist

Rolie, good going! I forgot to mention some things that has made the F4U easier to see and maintain orientation that you and other newer fighter pilots might find useful.

The most important factor has been to slow the ship down by using SF APC props as thoroughly discussed with pictures on my CALL TO GLORY web site. Another useful concept that helps is to use large 3 inch diameter wheels and tubing on the struts along with the wheel covers to help provide visual cues. For a while early on last year I was afraid to even try to fly in overcast weather. When I recently tried it I was surprised how easy it turned out to be. Yesterday, black clouds rolled in while I was flying and I don't remember being disoriented even once. Training can do amazing things.

I also enjoy the greater than 1 to 1 thrust to weight ratio provided by the larger diameter, lower pitch prop with the large landing gear equipped Corsair. After a short take off run and a short period at full throttle, a spectacular virtually vertical maximum climbing performance show off maneuver can be fun to fly. I also love the sound the big prop makes on this fighter.

Yes, I am looking forward to better flying weather myself.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:18 PM
jewfish

I'm also doing OK with the orientation - thanks for asking. Perhaps not seeing it any better but I'm not panicking so much when it happens. I've been practising close circuits alternating right way up and inverted. So now I don't fall to pieces if I suddenly realise it's gone inverted unintentionally. It's all about confidence and being relaxed. I think I will try some of the visual cue tips as well.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:54 AM
mad web tv scientist

Jewfish, your determination will carry you to the conquest of the sky regardless of what or how you fly, I have no doubt. It's fun to be useful to fliers like yourself. Thank you for sharing your adventures.

I still have those moments of overwhelming emotion but with time they can be overcome even as you are experiencing. The good thing is that our lives are not on the line as it was/is with real fighter pilots. Shortbuss vividly demonstrates just how our planes can effect even the greatest of adrenalin junkies. It's great to see so many success stories by so many different flyers.

Thanks again.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 11-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Shortbuss

ORIGINAL: mad web tv scientist

Jewfish, your determination will carry you to the conquest of the sky regardless of what or how you fly, I have no doubt. It's fun to be useful to fliers like yourself. Thank you for sharing your adventures.

I still have those moments of overwhelming emotion but with time they can be overcome even as you are experiencing. The good thing is that our lives are not on the line as it was/is with real fighter pilots. Shortbuss vividly demonstrates just how our planes can effect even the greatest of adrenalin junkies. It's great to see so many success stories by so many different flyers.

Thanks again.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

I broke my back paragliding 3 months ago, I am almost healed but not really ready to paraglide again. But I do love all forms of flying, and the corsair definitely fills that void that I am feeling right now. Its very calming to fly. One of the reasons I love skydiving and paragliding so much is that you have to block everything out of your mind and focus on flying. Same with RC planes!

Old 11-13-2009, 06:29 PM
mad web tv scientist

Shortbuss, glad to hear that you are healing well. Not quite so glad to learn that you may be risking life and limb again.

Glad to know that you find the F4U calming. This proves your competence and ability to ward off any enemy attacks or other impending disasters. However, may I make a case for your continuing R/C flying that just might have a chance of possibly curing your other potentially life threatening addiction?

Thank you.

Here it is: Given the aerobatics capabilities of our fighters, continually try new maneuvers, including air combat with an aggressive friend. Try to always fight flyers who are better than you. Challenge the wind. Fly in marginal conditions.

If you begin to feel too comfortable buy new airplanes, especially if they offer new challenges. etc., etc..

Well, I tried. Just please don't get hurt again. I really would enjoy reading about some of your flying adventures in the future - no more personal crashes, PLEASE!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 11-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Shortbuss

Mad Web,

Dont get me wrong. Flying RC is amazing. But flying off a 4000' mountain, thermaling, and sunset flights make paragliding worth the risk. I live in Golden BC Canada, can you imagine the view off the mountains at 10,000 feet? Its mind blowing. I have pushed myself paragliding. Flying in violent and windy conditions. I worked hard to become a competent pilot. That helps when flying RC. My second ever flight on my corsair was in very windy conditions, with high rates! And this is my first aileron plane too. I love flying RC, but the skies are calling. The freedom of flight brings in a huge reward for me. Its been worth the pain and suffering, and lost wages. I regret nothing! I dont drink, smoke or do drugs. But I do enjoy flying!

Sorry this link is off topic, but its one of my favorite flights.

Enjoy, maybe I will have one of my corsair soon!!

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN1FPgXjJSQ[/link]
Old 11-14-2009, 02:35 PM
foehammer29

I madiend mine today. IT was SICK. [:'(]I flew it 10 times as of now but its gettting windier and its way past 50 mph(sarcasm and remeberence of past posts) the last flight i rpiied the landing gear off and have had a few servo messups but all is well and im flyin again tommoraw morn!
Old 11-15-2009, 02:25 PM
foehammer29

whenever i charge my batt. the car fuse explodes and what hppens if u charge on 1.5 volts?
Old 11-15-2009, 06:26 PM
mad web tv scientist

[8D] foe, You bring up an "interesting" (painful might be a better word here) problem.

Having run my car battery far enough down that I couldn't start my car in the past I have avoided using our chargers except while the engine is running on trips. I use an A/C plug in power supply that is capable of providing 3 amps or more that provides a steady 12 volts. Works great.

Hope this helps.

Shortbuss, You win! My wife really loves your scenic area and can't blame you a bit! Yes, I like it too.

Like yourself, I love the air too, but only so long as I can have at least one foot on solid ground.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 11-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Shortbuss

Fair enuf Mad Web! I am not trying to me smug, but its amazing here! And to see it from the air is wild!

On another not I put flight 3 on my corsair! Wow what a wild plane. I was getting really brave and diving in for even lower and higher speed passes. Did some outside looks for the first time in my life too. Love this plane!!!
Old 11-21-2009, 11:27 PM
mad web tv scientist

buss, , enjoy reading about your exploits and the fun you are obviously having. The PZ F4U is truly a milestone in modeling. I was very impressed with the way it could effortlessly fly consecutive outside loops from inverted flight shortly after I bought it. It also flew all of the maneuvers that my modified Spitfire was able to fly in addition to having great ROG capability with a little modification.

foe, were you able to resolve your battery charging problem.

Except for take off and landings I tend to fly much too high during maneuvers. Like trying to fly in depressingly small areas, low aerobatics flying makes me really nervous.

I am working on my problems. It's probably my age. You know what they say about how hard it is to teach an old dog new tricks. Yes, it can be done but it can take a lot longer sometimes, depending on what you have to work with.

KEEP 'EM FLYING!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 11-22-2009, 12:36 AM
Shortbuss

This plane never fails to amaze me!! I am trying to get good at flying inverted. I tried to fly my SuperCub today and crashed twice! I was really missing the power of the F4U. I find its hard to stall as well. I was intimidated by this plane at first. But after a few flights I feel like a pro!

SuperCub for sale!
Old 11-22-2009, 02:37 AM
jewfish

As much as it pains me I just have to tell this story.

I was having a ball flying my Corsair this morning while my son was flying his Hobby King Hellcat. Just cruising about patrolling for those elusive Zeros. The Hellcat was running short on power so it was coming around to make a landing approach. I was following from a way behind. Then my son yells out the he's lost control and the plane is coming towards us and another fellow setting up a model. I'm telling him to try and crash-land away from people and I watch as it hits the dirt and breaks in half. A great shame but at least it's away from harms way. I'm wondering what might have gone wrong when I hear another thud and a plane smashes into pieces just a few feet from the Hellcat - a Corsair, what are the odds? It then dawns on me. MY CORSAIR - I'M SUPPOSED TO BE FLYING MY CORSAIR!!!! What an idiot. How the hell did that happen? I nominate myself for dunce of the year award.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:02 AM
guapoman2000

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well guys,

I am glad that I was able to attend the Indian River Kontrol Society (IRKS) RC Club's Electric Fun Fly event weekend that just past (November 21 & 22, 2009)!

Our Ken Isaac (RCKen), RCU Forum Manager, attended as well and saw him almost always at the flight line without any breaks and hopefully took some video footage of my Park Zone Corsair flying with the GWS 4-bladed 10 X 8 X 4 propeller and my Park Zone T-28 "Airforce" flying with the Master Airscrew 10 X 7 X 3. Of course there were lots of very fast, expensive Electric EDF Jets by very well known makers and one is right here in Sanford, Florida about one hour North from Orlando, Florida.

I am posting some pictures of my Parkzone F4U Corsair sporting the GWS 4-Blade 10 X 8 X 4 propeller for those interested.

If you like speed and super upline power from a 3-blade Propeller and curious on the AMP / Watt results then, go to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMyttjKrLCk

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87724.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1319618   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45084.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1319619  
Old 11-24-2009, 02:04 AM
guapoman2000

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh yes, I almost forgot!

I bought recently a small bubble gum size Video camcorder that has been taking just great Video footage of my models and one in particular is onboard my Park Zone F4U Corsair with the GWS 4-Blade prop.

Here is the Video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL7iyRsd4Pw
Old 11-25-2009, 12:20 AM
mad web tv scientist

[8D] Jewfish, thanks for sharing your story. It will surely help deal with the pain. Target transfixion is what they called similar phenomena during WWII. A lot of us who haven't been flying that long can identify perfectly with you and genuinely feel your pain.

The whiff of danger associated with this size and larger planes helps to intensify a sense of excitement and challenge that makes them irresistible and so satisfying to master. An occasional reminder that we are not quite as good as we think can be "good" (?) for us, or so they say.

Keep on having fun! That's an order airman!

ORIGINAL: jewfish

As much as it pains me I just have to tell this story.

I was having a ball flying my Corsair this morning while my son was flying his Hobby King Hellcat. Just cruising about patrolling for those elusive Zeros. The Hellcat was running short on power so it was coming around to make a landing approach. I was following from a way behind. Then my son yells out the he's lost control and the plane is coming towards us and another fellow setting up a model. I'm telling him to try and crash-land away from people and I watch as it hits the dirt and breaks in half. A great shame but at least it's away from harms way. I'm wondering what might have gone wrong when I hear another thud and a plane smashes into pieces just a few feet from the Hellcat - a Corsair, what are the odds? It then dawns on me. MY CORSAIR - I'M SUPPOSED TO BE FLYING MY CORSAIR!!!! What an idiot. How the hell did that happen? I nominate myself for dunce of the year award.
[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 11-25-2009, 01:27 AM
jewfish

ORIGINAL: mad web tv scientist
Keep on having fun! That's an order airman!
Madweb thanks for the sentiment and for giving a name to my temporary infliction.

While I'm very annoyed that it happened I'm also able to put it in perspective. Funny thing is for the time I've had this plane I've been so careful to fly it within my limits - only trying new things when I was confident. On my other models, mostly scratchbuilt foamies, I have no problems taking risks and suffering the odd hit. But the PZ Corsair I treated with total respect (as it deserves IMO) so it had barely a scratch on it. How ironic then that the first time I have a brain-fade it's the Corsair I forget about and crash. So ironic in fact that after the initial feeling of horror I could only laugh. The guys near me must have thought I was mad

But I have to consider two things. Firstly I have learned a valuable lesson - next time I will stay alert and possibly avert an even worse outcome. Secondly I value the pleasure I've had from this plane far more than I paid for it - so I figure I'm still in front.

Having said all that I think there is a good chance I'll get her flying again. After inspecting the damage it's not really that bad. The wing has a single clean fracture but some CA and tape should fix that. The cowl and motor mount are easy to replace. The firewall has fine cracks but I think some epoxy and ply will strengthen it. I haven't tried the motor yet but the impact (dead vertical from what I can tell) didn't break the prop so I'm hoping the shaft isn't too bent. The main part I'm concerned with is where the back of the wing is held onto the fuse with the two plastic pins. The plastic plate that the pins go in was missing with some of the fuse foam behind it. I'm not sure how to reconstruct that. Anyway I have rambled for too long already so I'll report on the repairs as I progress.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:24 AM
flhtc3

"The plastic plate that the pins go in was missing with some of the fuse foam behind it. I'm not sure how to reconstruct that. Anyway I have rambled for too long already so I'll report on the repairs as I progress."

I had the same problem and found some steel automotive brake line tubing laying around in the garage. Prefect inside diameter to receive the guide pins on the wing. I cut the tubing to about 1.5 inches and forced them into the fuse and glued... worked very well, much stronger than the original plastic. Hope this helps and thanks for sharing your story.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.