Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone f4U Corsair Rtf

Old 02-26-2010, 02:14 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone f4U Corsair Rtf

Thinking about picking this plane up, without reading the whole thread are there any anomalies or quirks I should be aware of? Extra stuff that's recommend? If I get it it's gonna be the RTF version since I need another radio anyway.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:54 PM
mad web tv scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sheograth, welcome aboard the Corsair carrier! It's a great plane and with some landing gear modifications it is my best ROG fighter, although my flap equipped modified 109 could give it some competition. I recommend that you enjoy it without landing gear first. After feeling comfortable, especially if you have a smooth place to land, just remember to keep a little power on during landings. Keep the nose down and flair at the last instant for a smooth landing.

Hawkcrewchief, sorry about your midair. My web tv won't play your movie but it is inspiring to see you hanging in there.

WATCH OUT ABOUT THOSE TAIL HOOKS (I installed a fake one on my tail).

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif]
[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Dangaras

Few things I found, she will snap over (tip stall) at low speeds so careful when landing. The landing gear is easy to rip off on a grass landings & the wire gear will also bend back easily causing nose overs.

Get extra motor mounts, cowls &3-blade props they break easily specially in cold weather. The easy break idea is to save the plane body from suffering too much damage. Do not buy the metal motor mounts on Ebay or you will be buying a new fuselage instead of a a cowl & motor mount, spending less than $10 instead of more than $50.

If you are looking for a new radio, the DX7 is a better choice for versatitlity and the fact it supports 20 models. I have never used my DX5 again after than the 2 times Ifirst flew the Corsair. Once I went DX7, I never looked back.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:30 PM
squawk7700

I bought the PNP version since I already had a DX7 for my helicopters. The Corsair is my first and only airplane so I'm not well versed in airplanes but I can tell you that it flys very well with almost no adjustments out of the box. I would bend the landing gears slightly forward closer to the leading edge of the wing to help it from going nose over on landings. I heard from others that the wing servos may stick on you. I was flying with another person who's servo did in fact stick. I for one have not (so far) had that problem. I don't like the stock wheels (small and mushy). So I replaced the mains with lite weight 2 1/2" wheels. I also replaced the tail wheel but I don't recall what size.
I think you are making an excellent choice in this airplane. Welcome and have fun.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:57 PM
oregonflyguy58

I recently purchased the parkzone corsair and really love it. I also have the new parkzone P- 51 D mustang and really love it too. Just wishing for nice weather now.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:59 AM
mad web tv scientist

[8D] flyguy, sorry we could not coordinate our action today. There was an 8 mph wind at what I now think is a summer grass hay field, overcast, with a little sun peaking through. We are forbidden to fly on the large soccer fields until April. This suits me just fine because the sloppy mud is no fun at all. The hay field works fine for belly landers. I'll try Greer Park till April when we need landing strip facilities for our ROG ships.

Looking forward to hearing from you. please check out the Mustang thread for a report on today's festivities.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Hawkcrewchief
My Feedback: (1)

My corsair is alive again. After some balsa wood and alot of epoxy for the nose I was able to put her together. Here is the vid. What 3 blade prop are people using, I'm running an eflite power ten. thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd27hCs78Kg
Old 03-01-2010, 04:44 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to have my LHS order one for me tomorrow, should be a fun one.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:32 PM
oregonflyguy58

Hey mad sorry about not meeting you to fly our birds. I went out to the soccer field earlier that day and mustang took a nose dive into that muddy field broke the body in half just in front of the wing and drove the spinner about three inches into the ground...lol. So anyway went home put my mustang back together. I did go out yesterday to grass sod farm and flew all birds with great success and planning on going again today since we have nice weather.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:30 PM
mad web tv scientist

flyguy, great to hear from you! Suspicions were that you may have been taken out by enemy action. In today's dangerous skies a man has to do a lot of rubber necking around. Especially if forced to hold formation below certain kinds of cloud formations as tail end Charlie; you can still be shot down in flames when the enemy can see you but you can't see him until his cannon and heavy machine gun fire is already ripping you to pieces.

Please let me know when and where you will be flying today by phone, PM, or even here. We will need to rendezvous at least by 5 o'clock in order to have enough time to reconnoiter for our vital CAP missions. My batteries are fully peak charged, my fangs are out for some wild fighter action, and I will be bringing you a fist full of carbon fiber to make sure your fuselage will not break next time - should be able to drive your spinner even deeper in the future!

Over and out.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 03-05-2010, 01:55 AM
spark678

hey guys I love the corsair it flys great. I upgraded from a super cub which was getting way to glitchy for me. I do wish I just bought the dx7 instead of the included dx5e. Anyways with the stock charger is there like a cut off so I can not over charge the battery? I charged the battery a week ago and I am not sure if I should just fly with it or stick it back on the stock charger. Any inputs besides buying a new charger and battery? Also what are the flying times you guys are getting with the stock battery? I havent heard it pulse but I land the plane after 12 mins of moderate throttle. thanks!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Dangaras

The stock charger will only charge to the max the battery can handle. It is best always to top-up before flying.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:42 PM
mad web tv scientist

spark, congratulations on your success with the PZ Corsair that has been recognized as a milestone in modeling. If I could have gotten in touch with flyguy yesterday my F4U would have probably graced the park where only my GUNFIGHTER ended up flying. So far the slightly modified bent wing bird is my very best ROG landing and sounding airplane with its great vertical performance modified SF APC prop. Its possible that when my nerves settle down that my slightly modified killer PZ 109 will be able to equal or maybe even beat it in landing performance.

No, the Messerschmitt stayed in the car while I dealt with the jitters on this new place to fly the Mustang. The ability to fly almost straight up from hand launch and keep the plane in a relatively small area high in the sky really boosts confidence to fly in small cluttered areas. The Corsair will do this from a ROG takeoff, and its light wing loading makes "comfortable" landings possible.

Your questions - your flight times look good. It turns out that running LiPos all the way down on every flight is a great way to wear them out prematurely. With practice I have developed a feel for the amount of flying time it takes to drain LiPos down to a safe storage voltage of between 11-12 volts. If you don't have a volt meter you can simply put up a flight that is long enough to hear the motor surging. Be sure to time this flight. Now you can simply fly 40-70% of your original maximum time, except on those rare occasions where it may be necessary to really show off and let everybody know who's boss.

DARE TO OWN THE SKY!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 03-05-2010, 10:14 PM
zsultan
My Feedback: (35)

Hi Guys,

I have couple of questions regarding hand launching PZ Corsair. The park where i want to fly this plane has like 2 to 3 inch tall grass, so i dont think can take off over this tall grass and only other option i have is to hand launch it.

My question to the experts on this forum is, how difficult is it to hand launch this airplane? is it hard? is it ok to hand launch or you guys prefer taking off from pavement?

I hand launch my PZ ultramicro P-51, which pretty much takes off by itself, is Corsair anything like it? any tips and tricks to hand launch this airplane will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, i am not an expert just novice. I can take off and land corsair from pavement.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:03 AM
spark678

thanks guys for the replys. I want to purchase a few of these zippys http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0mAh_3S1P_25C_ now do I need to modify any of the connectors on the plane or on the battery? someone says that they just converted everything over to deans connectors. is their any certain size I need for the corsair and this battery? also can I get by using the stock charging system for now with these batteries? thanks!
Old 03-06-2010, 10:20 AM
squawk7700

I bought the PNP version so I don't know the answer to the first part of your question. However, I just received two Flightmax 2200mah 3s 25C batteries two days ago and they came with the XT60 connectors. The earlier batteries, which I also bought from HobbyKing, came with Deans. I bought a set of 5 XT60's connectors and made an adapter pigtail since all of my stuff have deans. I will eventually change over to either EC3 or the XT60's. So far I like the XT60, they seem much easier to push on and pull off and soldering is super easier. Some people don't like the sparking that you get when you plug in the Deans and with the XT60's the housing shields any sparking.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:17 PM
zsultan

deleted
Old 03-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Dangaras

Get the EC3 connectors they are the best out there and the soldering is simple as the wire and solder sits in a cup at the back of the pins. You are sure you get 100% wire-solder-pin bonding. Also you dont have to mess with the ESC (if the one you are using now has an EC3 connector on it) as mine came with EC3s all round.

The Zippies will give you some significantly better flight times.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:30 AM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: redriderjt

im sorry thats it 35-30c. says it equal to axi 2808.I do have an 2200mah 20c and a couple of 40amp esc one out of my squal..ive heard of a power 10 and a power 15 ran in these planes.. Was told that the power 15 was plenty of power for this plane.. so i thought this was an equivalent motor??? I admit it i dont have a clue...Ive flown this plane stock on that 2200mah 20c battery about 25 times or so.. just wanting to upgrade so if anybody has any input on what the ideal setup is??
Any of those 3 motors will put a BIG smile on your face.

The choice is yours to make, but please, also think about this;

The Turnigy will draw the least amount of power
The Power 10 and the Power 15 are close in their power demands, but if you want to run larger props, the Power 15 will give you the best output

Keeping to the stock size prop, or close to it, the Turnigy is the best value for performance gain. How do you argue with less than $20 ?
The Turnigy will let you fly lighter batts for longer times than the power hungry E-Flites.

When you go with the Power 10, or the Power 15......... you will need a ESC that can handle ALOT of amps, were talking between 80 and 125 if you run 12 inch props or very high pitch 10 inch props
When you run that Turnigy, a 40amp ESC will get you by, but a 60amp ESC is best if you want bigger props.

The 35-36c will let you run an APC E 11x7 prop on 3 cells at a 39 amp draw. (VERY NICE SETUP !!!!!!!!)
Old 03-07-2010, 09:01 AM
arvada

ORIGINAL: Dangaras

Few things I found, she will snap over (tip stall) at low speeds so careful when landing. The landing gear is easy to rip off on a grass landings & the wire gear will also bend back easily causing nose overs.

Get extra motor mounts, cowls & 3-blade props they break easily specially in cold weather. The easy break idea is to save the plane body from suffering too much damage. Do not buy the metal motor mounts on Ebay or you will be buying a new fuselage instead of a a cowl & motor mount, spending less than $10 instead of more than $50.

If you are looking for a new radio, the DX7 is a better choice for versatitlity and the fact it supports 20 models. I have never used my DX5 again after than the 2 times I first flew the Corsair. Once I went DX7, I never looked back.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:30 AM
zsultan

Hi Guys,

I need to replace front stock wheels with 2.25", 2.5" or 2.75" wheels for Corsar to take off and land on grass without flipping?

One more thing, width of the stock wheel is approximately 15mm and the 2 1/4" Dubro or Dave brown wheels are 20mm in width. So, have to remove the piece of small black tube inserted on one end of the rod to avoid wheel rubbing the rod. How did you guys fit a 20mm wide wheel on the rod?

Please advise

Thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 03:26 PM
squawk7700

I bought the Dubro 2 1/2". I found a piece of brass tubing and used it as a bushing. I cut it slightly longer than the width of the wheel and glued it flush on one side and the other side slightly extended. The extended end acts as a spacer so that the tire/wheel won't rub on the wire strut. There might be a better way but that's how I did it.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:16 PM
mad web tv scientist

Attaboy squawk. Dave Brown 2.5 inch wheels now serve as back up for the more streamlined ones that are now on my Corsair. I spun them with my drill and sanded them into a "racing type streamlined shape" in order to help minimize aerodynamic drag - probably not necessary, but at the time I was still experimenting with performance possibilities. I couldn't be more pleased with my F4U. It is a great participant in my "flying fighter museum."

zsultan, please don't hesitate to let us know if there are any more questions. Sorry I was unable to provide a timely answer to your questions on your other thread. I've had a lot of pressing issues on my plate recently. Thanks for hanging in there in spite of circumstances. Yes, I bend the wire struts so that the wheels are approxiately 3/4 inch ahead of the leading edge of the wing.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 03-08-2010, 04:41 PM
zsultan

Hi mad web tv scientist,

Thanks for your response.

Do you think 2.5" wheels will be too big or just right in terms of looks and performance? or shall i try 2.25"

Thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 08:14 PM
mad web tv scientist

zsultan, you are very welcome.

Wheel size is largely a matter of personal preference. In my case, flying and landing performance triumphs scale appearance. The 2.75 inch diameter wheels I am using now seem to perform very well. The 2.5 inch ones might be a little less effective but they are closer to scale size from the study I've done. You might prefer the 2.25 diameter size and find their performance acceptable for your purposes. In my case I plan to add some over size landing gear doors to accompany the oversize wheels just to provide more to see in order to help with orientation perception difficulties. You might want to experiment to see what combination you like best.

To answer your question about the Mustang on another thread, I have to agree that you should have little trouble flying it given all your experience. Until you get over some of the anxiety of the first few flights, just fly short hops, an "S" turn and land, fly a partial circle then land, etc., until you realize that this whole show is a piece of cake.

The really important thing is to have fun and spread the joy! (even if all that hope and change is not working out so well).

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.