Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone f4U Corsair Rtf

Old 03-08-2010, 10:36 PM
zsultan
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone f4U Corsair Rtf

HI mad web tv scientist,

One more question, did you put any plastic tubing or bushing to avoid wheels from touching the landing gear rods?

Thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 11:18 PM
mad web tv scientist

zsultan, I used the same approach as squawk.

Bought a piece of brass tubing at the hobby shop that closely fit the strut axle, drilled out the hub of the wheel to fit the brass tube, stuck the brass tube into the wheel so that maybe 1/64" stuck out on the other side, added a little CA glue (optional if brass tube is a tight fit), cut the tube off with about an inch sticking out. I then chucked the wheel/axle in my drill and spun the wheel against sand paper to give it a desirable shape. A small three edge file is then used to file off the extra tubing.

I hope this fixes you up wheel wise. Keep us posted on your progress.

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif]
[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:59 PM
zsultan
My Feedback: (35)

I just installed the wheels with out any tubing/bushing . Do you think it will be OK?

BTW, i got Dubro 2.5" lite weight wheels.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2010, 08:19 PM
mad web tv scientist

[8D] zsultan, so long as they do the job you are in like flin.

I spent all day trouble shooting my 109s. One simply had a loose servo connection that I didn't discover until I had gone to the trouble of almost completely removing it from the wing. I should have checked the aileron connection first to be sure that was not the problem. I made a lot of unnecessary extra work for myself that could have been so easily avoided.

I finally isolated the erratic motor performance problem to a faulty ESC on the other 109 and ordered a new one from the hobby shop.

Hold a steady course.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:24 PM
spark678
My Feedback: (1)

Hey guys. Has anyone experienced play in the aileron servo? I didn't nottice it until I put the plane on the ground and gave it full throttle with my new zippy batteries. I could notice the left aileron flapping up and down (not by much though). There is only a couple millimeters of play and the other aileron does not move at all and is solid. Ive had 6 successful flights already. Any ideas what to do? Thanks!
Old 03-31-2010, 08:41 PM
Dangaras

Ihave replaced 2 or 3 of those long lead servos over the last few months. It would appear that these servo gears are really easy to strip. They get sloppy at first and then get really rough over time.

Ireplaced them as soon as Isaw the "loose" action in the aileron. It would be a bad day if one let go in flight.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:40 PM
spark678
My Feedback: (1)

That sucks because it is still a new plane. Do I replace it with the factory servo or just upgrade it?
Old 04-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Dangaras

With all the problems have had with the factory servos, next step for me is to change them out for DS-929MG (metal gear digital) from Hobby king... They cost about the same, but you also need a servo extension.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:34 PM
foehammer29

ok so i flew it alot but havnt in the last 9 months. when we went out to fly today the reciever would only flahs for a fraction of a second then shut off. there was no control and so we came back without a flight. any ideas on whats wrong?
Old 04-04-2010, 05:22 PM
mad web tv scientist

foehammer, when I had a problem like yours, fresh batteries seemed to solve my problem. Later, after experimenting with larger props, it turned out that I had a marginal performing transmitter. A new transmitter solved my problems.

You might want to check with Horizon Hobby if your adjustments fail to fix you up.

Good luck.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 04-13-2010, 07:14 PM
deadstick8409
My Feedback: (2)

Can anyone tell me if the replacement wing comes with new landing gear mount blocks? I put 3" light wheels, had a pretty decent landing, ripped one right out anyway. Used too much ca/kicker putting it in, and lets just say, hand launch only now!
Old 04-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Dangaras

Here is an onboard pervert keychain cam view of an afternoon flight of my Parkzone Corsair..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foyQvkAYZoc[/youtube]
Old 04-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Dangaras

Oops, duplicate post
Old 04-14-2010, 09:54 AM
DenverJayhawk

I must say I love my PZ P51 BL and would love to get another model. How does the Corsair fly when compared to the Mustang? Are the two similar?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Dangaras

My corsair flies a lot more "stable" as compared to a P-51 that I have. the P-51 tends to roll a lot more quickly and can get out of control easier. Makes the flying more fun....
Old 04-14-2010, 09:50 PM
deadstick8409
My Feedback: (2)

At what voltage per cell should the speed control shut down the party?
i never noticed any problem, but the reciever was blinking, and the cells read about 3.3/cell.
New to this electric stuff, but I thought it would/should be more than that?
Old 04-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Dangaras

That's a good cutoff point. The rx flashing also means you had a rf link disconnect or a reboot of the receiver.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:11 AM
wxup

I tried a fix for re-attaching the landing gear mounting plates and it worked out pretty well. I had pulled them out and glued them back in so many times (not the best at landing) that a lot of foam was missing and there was nothing left to glue the mount to. I used some of that expanding foam in a can that you use to fill holes around pipes in your home. You fill about half the open space where the foam is missing and place the mounting plate in place. You will need something to hold it in place until the foam expands and drys. The foam is very sticky so as it expands it fills the void and glues the mounting plate in place at the same time. Just make sure you are holding the mounting plate in place or the expanding foam will lift it right off the wing. I used a clamp to keep the mounting plate in place until the foam was done expanding and got hard. It seems just as strong as when the wing was new.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Dangaras

The best for this fix is Gorilla or Sumo glue. The Sumo glue expands about 1/2 as much as the Gorilla, but remains white...
Old 04-15-2010, 03:02 PM
mad web tv scientist

[8D] Denver/Dangaras, interesting discussions. I found it helpful to minimize aileron deflection angles just enough to roll convincingly, and fine tune the lateral balance so that the 51 could be kept from rolling out of an outside loop. The Corsair does not require such careful tuning for easily controllable aerobatics.

My CALL TO GLORY web site shows how to get a better than 1 to 1 thrust to weight ratio with the stock F4U even with main landing gear by using a modified SF APC prop that provides vertical performance as good or better than the 51 that you might find useful.

wxup, excellent idea! I just used a lot of 5 minute epoxy and Baking Soda because I am always in a hurry. With its 2.75 inch diameter wheels located ahead of the wing leading edge my Corsair is my best landing plane. I hope to be able to beat it with my modified flap equipped Messerschmitt.

Any landing you can walk away from is a good one!

CHECK SIX!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 05-20-2010, 01:30 PM
COL J

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has tried putting in any rudder/aileron mixing and or expo in their Corsair? And, if so, how much did you put and what were the results
Old 05-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Dangaras

Rudder, no expo
Elevator 50 - 30% expo as required
Aileron - same as elevator

Low rate is 70%
Old 05-21-2010, 10:20 AM
wxup

Mad Web TV Scientist:

"My CALL TO GLORY web site shows how to get a better than 1 to 1 thrust to weight ratio with the stock F4U even with main landing gear by using a modified SF APC prop that provides vertical performance as good or better than the 51 that you might find useful."
For those of us who are hopelessly computer/internet/forum ignorant, please tell me how to find this. I would very much like the information. Thanks.

Dave
Old 05-21-2010, 12:03 PM
mad web tv scientist

wxup, post # 1247 on our Corsair thread has the url that you can click on to bring up the prop section of the CALL TO GLORY web site. The unique cowling/prop combination with the F4U provides great sounds that I have not been able to duplicate on any other airplane/prop combination.

The Corsair is a fabulous airplane. Once I develop the kind of skill necessary to fly and land reliably in small spaces with other aircraft, the F4U will get its share of flying time. So far it is the only fighter that I have flown and landed successfully on the small flying site next to my house. My GUNFIGHTER "enjoys" (?) the distinction of crashing on landing attempts 100% of the time so far!

Try not to develop landing/small flying field phobia like I have successfully done. Remember, it is simply a matter of mind over matter. Now If I can only figure out a way to follow my own suggestion everything will be just right.

madwebtvscientist [sm=cry_smile.gif] [sm=lol.gif]

Old 06-28-2010, 10:18 AM
deb0650

Hi. I'm new to flying (three weeks) and bought a mini super cub, a T-28 and a Corsair. Actually, I used to fly pipers and cessnas (the big ones) but haven't been an active pilot for ten years. And the truth is these are a lot more fun than the real thing. Anyways, I graduated from the mini and now I'm flying my Trojan. The Corsair is in Mexico at my vacation campo so that I'll have stuff to do there when not fishing and I don't have to tote it back and forth. I'll probably order a 109 pnp today and may also get a 2nd Corsair to fly at home. On to my question. I want to install larger wheels on my T-28 and my Corsair. I saw several references in your posts about larger wheels but I didn't see the actual product name or number. I want it to still look scale but be easier to land on grass and in the desert (Mexico). I'm hoping the wheels are a simple swap and fit on the same wire gear. I'm also researching camera systems. I want to get some good video with the Corsair while it strafes the beaches of the Sea of Cortez.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.