Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Buyer beware.....

Old 05-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Flounder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Buyer beware.....

Yesterday I flew my Wattage Fokker Eindecker for the first time. I was up doing some lazy ovals, shallow climbs etc - just getting used to the aircraft. While flying straight and level - the left wing failed. I did nothing to induce this - it just snapped. I was about 25 feet up, so needless to say, there was considerable damage.

I went with a balsa plane because I thought it would be more sturdy than foam. I guess I was wrong.

The wings were pre-manufactured - right out of the box. The wing failed internally - not at where it meets the fuselage or where the wing sections are joined together.

Has anyone had any luck going back to the manufacturer and getting compensated for defects such as these??? It would be pretty hard to prove, but it really makes me mad that I spent all that money and got about 4 minutes of flying time!!!
Old 05-10-2003, 12:23 PM
TTARK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Take careful photographs of the damage, contact the manufacturer. If it was truely a defect, they will replace it. Horizon is great at customer service. Not sure about Hobby People but give them a call they should at least replace the airframe

Terry
Old 05-11-2003, 12:18 AM
spinnetti

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Buyer beware.....

I have the same plane, and other than being a little under powered, its pretty nice... I found the support to be great, and even though I bashed my wheels on landing and told them so (my fault), they helped me out..

Try support first before anything else...

I also wiped mine out (hitting a subdivision sign) at full speed, and it sheared the wing off. A little balsa, covering and CA, and I was back in the air. I think its actually easier to fix than foam.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Flounder
Yesterday I flew my Wattage Fokker Eindecker for the first time. I was up doing some lazy ovals, shallow climbs etc - just getting used to the aircraft. While flying straight and level - the left wing failed. I did nothing to induce this - it just snapped. I was about 25 feet up, so needless to say, there was considerable damage.

I went with a balsa plane because I thought it would be more sturdy than foam. I guess I was wrong.

The wings were pre-manufactured - right out of the box. The wing failed internally - not at where it meets the fuselage or where the wing sections are joined together.

Has anyone had any luck going back to the manufacturer and getting compensated for defects such as these??? It would be pretty hard to prove, but it really makes me mad that I spent all that money and got about 4 minutes of flying time!!!
Old 05-23-2003, 02:22 AM
Flounder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Support

I sent my defective part in then phoned support about a week later to see if they got it. I got the "I get 50 calls and 90 emails a day" routine. So far no luck. They told me to call back the middle of next week.
They did say that if the part failure was their fault (and it was), they would replace the plane. I thought that was fair. Now to see if they follow through....
Old 05-23-2003, 03:47 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The DO get 50 calls and 90 emails a day... and all 140 people want immediate answers and/or satisfaction. It's not humanly possible to keep up with them all. Give them a break, and a little benefit of the doubt.

Customer service is a major selling point among the "big three" (Great Planes, Horizon, and Global (Wattage)). I've heard nothing but good things, and have had nothing but good experiences, with Global's tech support.