Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

New Multiplex EasyCub build pics and info

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

New Multiplex EasyCub build pics and info

Old 06-17-2008, 07:14 PM
tam popo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Multiplex EasyCub build pics and info

Hello all!! The new Multiplex EasyCub (EZCub) has hit the shelves at a UK price of about 60 pounds. Designed as a foam Trainer/beginner plane with Elevator and rudder only control and for Bruhles motors of about 200W and using lipos of 2000+ 2S. Its made from the best foam on the Planet (Elapor) and as everyone knows is very easily repairable. And it a BIG plane, 54in. w/span with an u/carriage that allows easy take-off from grass. Its not designed as a scale J3Cub but more of a rough copy, but there's nothing wrong with the quality of the foam or fittings, you could probably put it together without using glue (joking!!). I wanted an electric plane I could take to a club and have some "street cred" on the strip, and this fits the bill.
The build has started. 4 hours into the slow build and it should be ready in 2 days time, and its looking good. I will post pics as and when I can as a full photo build. The equipment I specced is: Motor Keda in-runner 250W 2000Kv or E-Max-type 250W 1600Kv outrunner (to be decided), 2 16grm no-name servos but ceramic gears not plastic, 40A esc, Spectrum DX6i with AR6200 full range RX. Lipos recommenede for use are 2000 2S but I also have 3S 2200 for use for more "ooomph".
Cost so far - plane $120, equipment $180 (including 2 new LoongMax lipos) = $300......add your own TX and RX. here's the first pics, I'll update the build every day.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16734.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	972784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc39596.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	972785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65139.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	972786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vx44921.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	972787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Np18147.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	972788  
Old 06-18-2008, 10:30 AM
tam popo

Default RE: New Multiplex EasyCub build pics and info

Hiya guys - still no flying yet, too windy and lots of building to do. EZCub taking most of my time. The wings are in 2 pieces that slot together using plastic hollow rods and then bolted down with 2 long plastic screws down into the fuse - very tough. Nice big wheels as well. I have new 250W motor on order (KD 1500Kv 250W, 5mm shaft and 75grm!!) and will be using this instead of some I had planned to use - it just seems a lot better and at only $30Au I can always find a home for it. Here's the latest pics.....

Attachments
Click for fullsize
Click for fullsize
Click for fullsize
Click for fullsize

The small plane atop the EZCub is a Fox in for rpairs and modding - b/less, 300 2S and flies like shi...off a shovel!!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 10:35 AM
tam popo

Sorry about the pics, here they are.....

Name:	Ju13300.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	973133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cb94173.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	973134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cb94612.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	973135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Az87465.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	973136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki30565.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	973137  
Old 06-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Andrew86

Looking good tam! I'll be following this one. For such a big plane it obviously doesn't need a hole lot of power to fly, 200W seems very conservative. Can't wait for the flight report, looks like the build is nearly done already!

Cheers
Old 06-20-2008, 03:21 PM
tam popo

OK guys, the bird is finished!! Overall it went together very easily, no cutting or shutting, and everything was designed very well. The hardest part was putting some of the transfers on!! The motor I used eventualy is this one - http://www.giantcod.co.uk/product_in...8a58e1778ee4bd
This moto just fits inside the cowling, and is probably overkill on power, but thats my preference (it gets you out of trouble!!). The lipo i'm using to start with is a LoongMax 2200 2S or although I have a new 3S ready. All the surfaces have plnty of movement and I'm a little disappointed there are no recommendations for throws, expo etc. Trial and error?? This is a plane for the beginner or someone who wants to downsize to slower flight, its tough, repairable and $ for $ gret value. There are cheaper planes but this is one big plane and would suit club flyers a treat. Some clubs won't allow the PZ SuperCub cos of the frequency, but with this you choose the TX. You don't have to go overboard on price either, I use cheaper motors, esc's, and 2S lipos to cut the price down. All in it cost me $330 plus the cost of the TX/RX - well worth it.
If anyone needs more advice on building, buying or anything just post it here.....PS: the Beaver in the piccy is for comparison only, under "repair"......

Name:	Ih74509.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	974814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us24764.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	974815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hx33029.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	974816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dc57039.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	974817  
Old 06-20-2008, 03:24 PM
tam popo

One more piccy.....shows the size of the inside of the cockpit....you could play soccer in there or even install a FlyCamOne2 easily....

Name:	Sy10110.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	974820  
Old 06-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Glue-it-again Ben

Looks great Tam. Looking forward to some Vid of this one up and flying!
Old 06-20-2008, 07:02 PM
tam popo

Blxpy - so am I....!!!! It means it hasn't crashed Aren't you lost, the BBQ and Tinnies are over there[8D][8D] See ya later pal...
Old 06-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Glue-it-again Ben

No - not lost. I just like to get up from the deck chair and have a walk around every 3 or 4 beers just to make sure I'm not to plastered to walk to the car to drive myself home.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:28 AM
hobie14

TP .... here's the throws you wanted if you didn't already find them .....

Elevator ..... up - 15mm down - 12mm

Rudder ..... 15mm each way

C of G is 80mm aft of LE at Root ..... I've flown mine with 3200 (because I had them available) and 1800 2 cell lipos and as you say there is a bucket of room available ....... I have a couple of 2200 2 cells on order and I'll fly the 1800/2200's as they are the perfect weight for the EZ Cub .....

I was a bit conservative with the decals as you know (from my maiden video) ...... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dfDFFbqV1Vw

I have just over 6 hours flight time now with the EZ Cub ...... had it up with the EZ* guys just a few days ago on a day with good temps and lift ....... powered off the motor and was running power free for something like 5 minutes before loosing altitude (1800 lipo) ....... I can see some some possibilities there ........

Take it easy ......

Old 06-28-2008, 06:28 AM
tam popo

Hobie - thanks for that info, much needed. I still haven't maidened 'cos of the weather, how the hell do you get thermals etc in Ireland?? And its nice to get an e-mail from someone I can understand!!!! I'm usually on the BBQ and Beers Aussie thread or the Badius Club thread - ll great guys and lots of info.
The EZ* is one of my fave planes as well, but with a nice b/less stuffed up its chuff and 2200 3S !! I'm 57 and retired 3 years ago, never stopped flying and building, busier than when I had a job.....
What TX/RX are you using?? Expo etc? I'm on the new DX6i and full range AR6200, a brilliant outfit for just 120 Euros. The motor is KD 250W 1800Kv, 16 grm ceramic servos (bigger than normal but tougher) and a 40A esc.
There's an E-Shop called Giantcod (!!!!) over here that is half the price of anyone else, especially LoongMax lipos and b/less motors.
Thanks for the info, see you later......
Old 06-28-2008, 11:59 AM
hobie14

I wouldn't worry about Expo on the Cub .... just take it up in light winds at first to get used to it ....

I run mine on a Futaba 2.4 6EX ....

Re thermal's ..... certainly none in the past week , it's hardly stopped raining .... either that or blowing a gale ....

Must check out Giantcod ......

cheers .....
Old 06-28-2008, 01:20 PM
hobie14

TP .... a question .... is your undercarriage stock? ..... it seems a little different to mine .....

cheers .....

edit .... looking at your photo's again I think I must have been looking at the shadows cast
Old 06-28-2008, 05:53 PM
tam popo

Hobie - weather is the same, just waiting and building other things. The u/c is stock, a tough little bugger and better than most I think. I did have trouble understanding the build instructions for the tail-dragger wheel, still not sure about it but it works.
So, lets get this right, you must be a catamaran fan, sailor or ex-sailor. The Hobie14 is one of the best extreme speed machines on the Planet, 'cos I was a pro windsurfer for 3 years and sailed most racing dinghy's (Fireball, 505, Laser etc) and was overtaken a few times by a Hobie. Either that or there's another reason.

Here's the link to GiantCod - Mr Moderator, I have no link to this business but they have lots of my money.....
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/index.php

Byeeee for now......
Old 06-29-2008, 02:47 AM
hobie14

ORIGINAL: tam popo

Hobie - weather is the same, just waiting and building other things. The u/c is stock, a tough little bugger and better than most I think. I did have trouble understanding the build instructions for the tail-dragger wheel, still not sure about it but it works.
So, lets get this right, you must be a catamaran fan, sailor or ex-sailor. The Hobie14 is one of the best extreme speed machines on the Planet, 'cos I was a pro windsurfer for 3 years and sailed most racing dinghy's (Fireball, 505, Laser etc) and was overtaken a few times by a Hobie. Either that or there's another reason.

Here's the link to GiantCod - Mr Moderator, I have no link to this business but they have lots of my money.....
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/index.php

Byeeee for now......
Well spotted ...... ex Hobie 14 sailor after a good number of years ..... here's me in the Groove ....

Old 06-29-2008, 01:08 PM
tam popo

Hobie - great picture, thats what sailing is all about[8D] Low level flight as well !!!!!