Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Newbie Basic info

Old 05-13-2003, 04:29 AM
Gitano

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Newbie Basic info

hello

i just wanted to know what else do i need, i'm about to buy GWS basic flight pack , reciever, battery, 2 servos 1 speed control... so my question what else do i need for my airplane, the most basic equipment and the cheapest, also have battery charger...so any help wil do..

thanx
Old 05-13-2003, 06:37 AM
darenm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That sounds about everything you need. It all depends on the plane. You may need building tools, but as far as stuff for flight, your good to go.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:34 PM
Gitano

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well i was thinking on doing a small scrach plane, but i don't know which motor/prop should i use, i think brushless it's kinda expensive, also is GWS a good idea for for electric motor or is there any other good brand

thanx...Estuardo
Old 05-13-2003, 02:49 PM
Matt Kirsch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For smaller planes, such as park fliers, there is no reason why you need to go with brushless. The price difference is very signifigant at this size. When you get into larger projects, then the difference between brushed and brushless gets small enough that it makes sense to go brushless. Replacing a brushed motor on a park flier amounts to a few dollars, but when you're talking $30, $40, $50 or more for a large brushed motor, you don't have to replace too many of them before brushless becomes the cheaper option.

When you look at an electric, you have to look at the entire power system, that is, motor, prop, gearbox AND battery. You can't forget the battery. Without the battery, the motor/gearbox/prop are just ballast. All your power comes from the battery.

Your question about which motor/prop to use is impossible to answer without additional information. Yes, GWS motors are fine for electrics, as long as you design a plane that these motors can propel through the air.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:05 AM
Gitano

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well thanx for the adittional info , on the motor, i was planning to convert a free flight rubber powered Cessna 180 into R/C i think i wont need too much power but my main concern is weight cuz dose airplanes aren't too big, if no i'll probably do my one plane very light slow flying maybe 30" 35" of span...

Estuardo
Old 05-14-2003, 11:58 AM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Ball park figures

Hi Eduardo,

If your 30"-35" span plane is going to come out at under 10oz ready-to-fly then a geared GWS IPS motor would suffice. If its going to be around 12oz you could use a geared GWS IPS Dual motor. Above 12oz you need to start looking into the geared GWS 300C class of motor. As a rule of thumb, you need a sustainable static thrust about 1/2 the weight of the aircraft. www.aeromicro.com has useful tables giving amp draw and thrust for all of the GWS motor/gearbox/prop combinations [the figures given are rather optimistic, but they'll give a ball park idea of what you'll need].

Hope this helps, Cheers, Phil

Search this Thread