Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Older Equipment

Old 05-13-2003, 03:56 PM
Neophyte

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Older Equipment

Can someone please tell me which Mabuchi etc. series (260,280,300 +so on) motor this VL-101 system has? It is the VL-101 w/4.8:1 gear, WHITE gearbox , NOT 4.2:1 BLACK gearbox-HYTORK 42!
Have had this system in 'THE EASYONE' plane in Mitch Polings' book 'Building And Flying Electric-Powered Model Aircraft', 20 years ago.This is/was a FF model using 3 Sanyo CADNICA N-100a cells.Charged at 2 AMPS for 3 minutes would give 45-50 second motor run. This was done using the homebuilt charger from the same book.
Anyway, I would like to use the same 4.8:1 gearbox with a higher voltage motor using less AMPS. Original system drew 6-8 amps with VL P-1 prop(7.25D x 4.5P)
Sorry about the rambling on guys, but I'd really like to have some fun with this system. I have 2 COMET 54" span kits(Aeronca Chief and Taylorcraft) that are itching for this treatment.
By the way, weight of the 'stock' system (mtr.,gearbox,prop.,on/off-charge switch,wiring, is 2.5 OZ.
Please advise.
Thank You
Dave Andreski
Key West FL
Old 05-14-2003, 01:26 PM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Replacement motor

Hi Neophyte

Can't help you from real knowledge of your old gearbox, but why don't you go to the nearest hobby store and check out which of the Mabuchi/Graupner Speed motors will actually fit your gearbox. Failing that, BB gearboxes with 4.1, 4.5, and 5:1 ratios, to suit the motor you have to buy, are readily available for Speed 300/400/480 motors @ around $20.

Just a comment, though. I don't think anything less than a geared 400/480 with about a 10"-11" prop is going to provide enough thrust to get a draggy, 54" span, semi-scale aircraft to fly adequately! I can't reconcile the original 7.25" diameter prop with a 4.8:1 geared motor, unless that motor was capable of 50,000rpm or more.

If you want these wonderful aircraft of yours to fly well, I'd recommend you toss the old gear and take a leap forward into something at least as powerful as a geared [5:1] MP Jet 25/35-20 brushless.

Cheers, Phil
Old 05-19-2003, 10:47 PM
feihu-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Older Equipment

Dave -
I had a VL-101 motor prop system about 15 years ago. Built my own design free flight 36" span which flew great. I do not recall the gear ratio but I would guess that it was about 5:1 with a free wheeling capability when the motor stopped. I used 4-150mah nicads for power, and I know that the VL-101 could not take 5 cells without damage. This was a black cased VL-101, and I believe the output power might be equivalent to a 230 geared size motor.
You did not say whether your 54" airplanes are free flight or RC. That would make a difference in what power you use. In any event, I don't think your VL-101 would be sufficient power for a 54" free flight model.
You might build a dolly and mount your motor on it and have a scale attached to measure the pull of the motor in ounces. Then, if you can build your model with an all up flying weight within two times that number of ounces, then you will have a model that will fly.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:11 PM
Neophyte

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Older equipment- VL 101

Phil and FEIHU,
Sorry about the late response to your help. A newer VL brochure tells me that the gearbox will fit 260/280/and Speed 300's.Original manual says system will fly planes to about 10 oz.Dick Millers site info on the HY-42 (4.2:1) lists thrust (static)? on 3 cells at 3.5+ oz drawing 6+ amps.This is with their P-1 prop, 7 1/4x4 1/2.I have the HY-48 gearbox - 4.8:1. I think it will take a slightly larger prop.
Regarding the Comet 54" planes.I built the 'Aeronca Chief' 20 years ago as a FF Rubber job.Using KIT wood,doing some sanding on sheetwood,the plane weighed right at 5 oz.Fuse was covered with 00 silkspan,flying surfaces with JAP tissue.9 1/2" Peck prop,15 feet 3/16 Tan11.Eliminating all the Rubber related parts will bring the airframe down to ~4oz.Lots of possibilities here!All of my RC gear is too old for air use so I'll be getting new stuff soon,HI-TECH, I'm sure of it.
Sorry for the ramblings,after all I'm the Neophyte and I thank you for your help., I'll be needing more of it.
Dave A.
Key West FL
Old 05-31-2003, 06:51 PM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Older Equipment

Hi Dave - impressively light weights for airframes! I reckon with that good start, even by the time you've added all the R/C gear, motor and battery you might still end up at 10-12-14oz. Since you want to use your old 4.8:1 gearbox I'd go with a Speed 300. On 7-8 cells, with an 8"-10" prop (depending on what will suit the airframe/UC) you should be able to get 12-14oz thrust with about an 6-8 amp current draw - and the plane should be able to cruise about on about half that draw. With only an M250 or a 280 thrust might be marginal for comfortable flying [a BB280 might work, but it'll cost you more than the 300, and they are both the same weight]

Hitec makes great gear. The Flash 5, with 555 receiver, and HS-55 microservos is the best deal going (Hobby-Lobby HTR971R - $169). I'm pushing a band-wagon here but if you want a really good ESC that you'll be able to use later on larger brushed-motors, go for a Castle Creations Pixie 20 - elegant overkill, and yet no more expensive than many of the poorer quality ones out there.

Hope this helps, Cheers, Phil
Old 06-03-2003, 03:43 PM
Neophyte

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Older Equipment

Dr. PHIL, the impressive weight for the airframe isn't due to skill on my part.The plan has ONE full former-at the nose!Won't win many scale points at a contest,but these kits were an inexpensive ($12.00 or so) way to get a good size 1/8 scale plane in the air.
I'm kind of hung up on the low voltage feature of the VL system-3 cells.
Thanks for the advice on the ESC.
Dave A.
Key West FL
Old 02-20-2004, 08:12 AM
fla_g8tor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Older Equipment

I built the Taylorcraft about 25 years ago, and it has been hanging in my office for the last 20 years. Last year I electrified it with a GWS 300c with 6/1 drive, 11 x 8 prop, gws receiver, 4 hitec feather servos, cirrus ic5 speed control and a thunder power 2100mah 7.4 volt li-ion battery.

It flies great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77751.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	103038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71791.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	103039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15973.jpg
Views:	5