Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS Pico Stick vs. Slow Stick

Old 05-15-2003, 12:18 PM
jrk74

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default GWS Pico Stick vs. Slow Stick

I have a question.

Which plane is better suited for me. The GWS Pico Stick or the GWS Slow stick?

The Pico Stick only mentions indoor flight...can it go outdoor safely?

The reason I am sticking with GWS is because I have the Tiger Moth but I broke the Engine mount on the second "rough" landing! So I have the GWS Pico Flight pack already (~$90)

I will never be flying indoors, but I will wait for zero wind days. Horizon Hobby says that the Slow Stick requires a Micro Flight Pack...maybe the Pico Flight Kit will work?

I just got the hang of flying and would like to get back out to the field.

Thanks for your help!

-Jason

ps See my post on the tiger moth motor mount break. stinks!
Old 05-15-2003, 01:10 PM
Arrow>>-->

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your flight pack should worok in either plane. Althought I am sure you have a petty small battery for the moth that I don't think would give to much of a flight tome on the slow stick. I have a Pico stick -Stick and Fuse models. They are fun to fly but if you live where there is a lot of wind don't count on flying much. The Slow stick is supposed to handel wind much better. Plus you have a much greater range of battery sizes you can use on the Slow stick.
I am using a 2 cell litium pack on my fuse and have gotten as long as 40 minute flights on it. But like I said I am grounded most days because of the wind. I have snaped the wings 3 or 4 times because the wind has thrown my plane around. I have now added some bracing on it and it seems pretty stong now.

One other plane that you might consider is the E-Starter. My son just got one and it is a very nice looking plane. The thin I like about it is you can fly is as a 3 or a 4 channel plane.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:06 PM
Matt Kirsch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Actually, you will need a micro flight pack for the Slow Stick. The motor on the Slow Stick is much larger, and requres more Amps. The ESC and battery from the Pico pack are too small to handle the current. You'll end up with short flight times of less than a minute and a burned out ESC.

All your gear will work fine in the Pico Stick. However, I sincerely doubt there's enough wrong with your Tiger Moth to warrant trashing it...

The Slow Stick is a much larger plane, so you don't have to wait for perfectly calm conditions to fly it. A Pico Stick will blow away with more than a gentle breeze.
Old 05-24-2003, 03:35 AM
KillerWatt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi jrk74...... you can't really go bad with either, but as posted, the much more powerful, heavier and larger requires at least the 5 amp esc as well as much larger (700ma nimh) battery pack that you probably don't have on hand from your Tiger Moth flite pack......... i've had many fine flying experiences with my Pico Stick over the years (still flying that one) and have gradually modified or upgraded it's performance (like 8- 300 nimh's, C or D ratio carbon brush gear-motor with 14 X 7 gws prop, taller & stronger "A" framed landing gear w/ oring tires removed, mid-span wing guyed at LE with strings to Lg) all of which improved the power to weight ratio approaching 1:1 without the wings folding up on unbelievably improved speed, manuvers and altitude over stock performance while retaining a very lite and super safe lite-weight park type flying where the Slow Stick gives the deff impression of a much more serious,heavier and could really hurt someone or property if something went wrong with control..... most of the year, i just keep it ready to fly and fully assembled in the car's trunk for flights during work lunch-break, at the local park or school on way home and of course near home either before or after dinner... with 12 battery packs on hand, i can usually get in about 50 or more flites per week ..... have fun....kw
Old 05-24-2003, 08:11 AM
let_it_fly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i've flown the pico stick and own a slow stick. I think theres no question that the slow stick is the better and more stable plane. Yes you will have to get another speed control. it takes a 5 amp to run it. my fried switched from his pico to a slow and is useing the same speed control. its only a 2.5 amp but seems to be working. i think you will be happier with the slow because it will take more abuse then the pico. the slow has a aluminium fuse and is very strong. i love mine and think its a hoot to fly. still watch those winds. light planes are no fun in the wind. hope this helps you deside.
Old 05-25-2003, 02:26 AM
KillerWatt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

and after flying both, if you can stand the purchase of the larger esc and battery packs, the Slow Stick is deff stronger and more rugged constructed and in stock form running on 7- 720 nimh's reaches OOS altitudes fairly effortlessly using the rest of the "pico" gws flite pack on 1/2 throttle even if the wings take up most of the back seat.... adding a steerable tailwheel is a blast driving thur the parking lot to flying departure........ kw
Old 05-25-2003, 09:31 PM
darkside212

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,
I have both planes, and I must say the slow stick is much better. Of course you'll have to upgrade your ESC but trust me it's worth it! Not only is the Slow Stick more stable, it can also handle a heavier load. I modified mine with ailerons and I fly it with a 700mah 8.4v battery pack(AA style). My flights are typically 15 minutes and I can take off every flight in about 6 feet! This was my first plane and believe me it can take a beating, all I did was hot glued the breaks and I was flying again. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 06-05-2003, 09:20 PM
bspires

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HEY darkside212
DO YOU HAVE ANY PICTURES OF THE AILERON MOD IN YOUR SLOW STICK I WAS THINKING OF THE SAME THING

BSPIRES@BRIGHT.NET
Old 06-06-2003, 06:30 PM
darkside212

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't have it setup right now, but this is how I had it:
I used two servos, a "y" harness, and I mounted them directly above the perferated flaps(try to center them between a rib horizontally and vertically) on the wings it's pretty simple and it didn't take me two long. One tip is to put the servo on and then put on the cross decal, it looks a little better! Good luck and if you need any more help don't hesitate to ask
Old 06-08-2003, 07:57 PM
DBCherry

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jason,
Fix that Tiger Moth! If the only thing you broke was the motor mount stick it can be repaired quite easily! Even a broken wing can be repaired with a bit of epoxy.
Dennis-
Old 06-22-2003, 12:06 PM
eflyer2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jason,

I second Dennis about fixing the tigermoth, some times you can trim a little of the stick with a dremel tool and epoxy a new piece to the old one, best mod is to sand the nose about 1/8" good and square and epoxy a piece of 1/16" basswood to the nose, then mark the holes with the gearbox and drill them out with a fine drill and put a drop of CA on each hole, then use small modeling screws to mount the motor/gearbox to it, you can use shims to add down and right thrust as needed and it won't break again.

When your ready for a second plane the SlowStick is the one you want.
Good luck

Search this Thread