Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

$70 plane with no motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 07:32 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $70 plane with no motor

whats your thoughts about this?.. I read "Backyard Flyer" and it seems that more and more planes in the $70 range and up come without motors....I have Wattage and GWS planes that range from $29 to $50 and wouldnt think of getting either of them ,had they not come with motors......now it seems the higher dollar planes are made to accept the GWS motors and are in the $70 to $150 price range.....I know these motors only last so long anyway and that some people plan on buying brushless motors and new electrics to install any way.......but folks these are foam planes, some of them look great but a gust of wind, or the first hard landing will change that.....I think that we do ourselves a disservice by accepting these prices .. I've seen a really nice GeeBee I'd love to have but no motor and $120.. sorry but I cant justify that kind of money for a foam plane.......just venting..Rog
Old 05-17-2003, 03:44 AM
sierra gold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have purchased a couple of GWS planes with motors for $35- a good value.

I have purchased a couple of gliders with motors that are almost capable of keeping the plane airborne, I wish they came W/O the motor and were priced $5 cheaper. However the glider is of sound design.

I have purchased several kits that didn't come with motors and consider them to still be good value because of the quality of the kit.

The bottom line here is that as consumers we "vote with our dollars." I buy what I consider to be good value... with motor or not.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:50 AM
Steve Lewin

Interesting how we differ isn't it ? Since I hardly ever use the cheap motors that are supplied but usually replace them with better ones I get annoyed when the manufacturers insist on making me pay for a nasty cheap motor that I didn't want (and that in many cases will barely fly the plane anyway).

I do agree that some foamies are overpriced. I just don't buy those. But I don't think sticking a $5 motor in the box would change my mind.

Steve
Old 05-17-2003, 11:53 AM
goofup

When you consider that these were designed by high-paid aeronautical engineers, prototypes have to be created and tested, molds made for each piece, packaging, advertising, and the fact that these are limited-run, nitch-market items, the price may not be so high after all. The motors, if included, are enough to make the plane fly to THEIR flight specifications. (You want it to torque roll and do unlimited verticals, that's your problem).

I'm not saying I condone the pricing- but I can understand it.

You can always get some foam and make your own plane for a buck or two.
Old 05-17-2003, 09:45 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

certainly I underestand the pricing structure, and the start up costs..it would be like building a car from scratch it would cost a million bucks but you couldnt sell any for that once you began to produce it...I think GWS is king, and wattage is good although I havent had great success with their products. crazy max was more than I was ready for and the minimax well that was completely my fault it was just too windy....and I know performance cost money ,but I'd rather have the cheap can motor for some short fun than nothing at all,,besides several of the models show the same GWS motor/gearbox for an additional $20
Rog