Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Ever hit a bird during flight??????

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Ever hit a bird during flight??????

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 02:07 PM
wedgewing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ever hit a bird during flight??????

I know I have offered up some of my pigeon herding techniques and as I look out my home office window, I see them on my neighbor's roof begging me to bring out the Sukhoi and exercise them, but I am too busy

One bird that I think is extremely cool is the Nighthawk. If you have never seen them they look like super large swallows (some of the bigger ones looking the size of a small seagull). They are very aerobatic, and keep the wings bent through maneuvers as they suck down bugs in flight. They are essentially brown with one telltale "invasion stripe" on them.

While we were having our arteries emptied on the ground, the Nighthawks were having a time of it in the air with our planes (they won't screw with them at all) and the bugs. These are very helpful birds and I would never want something to happen to one while we are flying. They are super adept in flight and easily avoided our planes even though there had to be about 30 of them ripping through our flights (bugs and planes) like Messerschmidts.

we had about 4 planes in the air and no casualties between bird or plane. Just wish they were balsy enough to land on my leg and eat the ******* bug that had latched on to some important blood vessel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nighthawk

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86225.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	1030910  
Old 09-18-2008, 04:19 AM
viperdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ever hit a bird during flight??????

Well.. its not an ariel birdstrike. but its just as bad.

I was out at the local pond a few years back with a model boat i had just finished building. It was about 2.5 feet long, and about 1.25 feet wide, and capable of quite some spectacular speeds. The thing had a weed eater engine in it, and was quite the loud little *******.

Cutting to the chase, i was ripping along the water, when out of nowhere a duck swooped in,and landed right in front of the boat. The boat roared up its backside, and launched into the air.. Cartwheeled across the water for a few, and proceeded to sink to the bottom. The duck itself had a reverse mo-hawk, and i had a lady screaming at me about animal abuse. Later that night i came out with a buddie in black clothing, and went diving for the boat, i finally found it, but the waterbox had cracked, and my electronics were fried. its in my garage... somewhere.

During flight, ive had a few close-calls, but since i fly mainly nitro now, they generally stay away.