Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Styrofoam Scratch-Built Cub!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 01:38 AM
Amahoser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Styrofoam Scratch-Built Cub!

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this.....

This cub was built by a local guy at my flying field. Its built from:

- Take-Out Styrofoam trays for body and wings
- Soda straws for landing gear and control horns
- barbeque skewers for wing struts
- thread for pull-pull rudder and elevator
- transparent "scotch" type tape to hold everything together!

It is powered by a GWS pico flight pack with a GWS EPU-6 motor and gearbox.

He sold me and a friend of mine matching cubs. They are great fun flying together.... especially in "combat" mode! Since we don't have guns, we try to ram the other plane with the prop! Never has there been enough damage to actually down the cub, it just keeps on flying. Any repairs are simple enough with a bit of styrofoam and tape!! The Cub is VERY durable. My friend had a radio glitch at 20 ft up. The Cub went full throttle right into the ground.... nothing happened, the Cub was back in the air! Another surprising thing is its flight characteristics in high wind situations. In strong winds, (windsock fully horizontal) its a BLAST to fly. It'll BARELY move forward against the wind, but it is very controllable. When it get gusty THAT'S when i'll fly the 'lil cub!!! Its so much fun!

Jose Soriano
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	23468_13635.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	14806  
Old 08-29-2002, 01:42 AM
Amahoser

Default another pic....

Here's a pic so you can guage the size of the cub!

The guy in black is me and the guy in the center is Carl, the guy who built the cub!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	23472_13635.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	14807  
Old 08-29-2002, 09:30 PM
greg-RCU

Way cool! I love stuff built (for almost free) from what's around like that. Sort of a household, flying version of junkyard wars!
Any chance of a sort of plan or some close up construction details / specs comming up?
Old 09-01-2002, 12:22 PM
Amahoser

Default Plans

Carl is working on a set of plans for the cub. It should be done soon. I believe he is doing two sets of plans. One for a simple free fly glider and the other is for the cub. The glider is intended to teach his method of using tape and working with the foam. It really is ingenious watching him work!

Jose Soriano
Old 09-06-2002, 11:49 PM
mr_mahoney

Default Plans?

Please let me know how I can get plans or buy a kit from your friend.
Old 11-02-2002, 04:45 PM
donna

Hi Amahoser,
I have been saving styrofoam trays since I first read your thread on the styrofoam cubs. has your buddy made any progress on the plans or drawings for the cubs, I have got all sizes of trays , is there a way to join them together to make them useable, let us know if you have any info, thanks.
Donna.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:49 PM
Amahoser

Carl is working on the plans.... he has a set of plans for a simple quick building styro free flight plane that can be used to introduce someone to the taping techniques that he uses. The second plane is a very pretty free-flight plane that is sorta his intermediate level plane. These plans are pretty much done as well. The next step would be the R/C cub. He does have the templates for his cub complete. He just needs to complete the instructions....

Carl's main focus for these planes are kids. He made the instructions in a way that a child can understand them and have fun building. So some of the instructions may seem elementary but thats how he designed them. I'll point Carl to this website and see if he'd like to comment on when the plans will be available.

By the way, if anyone is in the Los Angeles area, we will be at the Sepulvida Basin flying site on Sunday Nov 10th for the Electric event. We will be flying four of those little cubs. Carl will be flying his P-51 Mustang made using the same foam and tape design. Also, we'll set-up some pylons made from drinking straws for mini pylon racing, we will tow banners and gliders with the cubs AND... try out a glider SNATCHING system! A glider will be on the ground and we try to fly low with the little cub and try to snatch the line with a hook! That should be fun!

Jose Soriano
Old 05-23-2003, 02:00 PM
dweidow

Default plans available?

Have the plans for the Cub ever been completed by Carl? If so, how can I get ahold of them?

I am a middle school science and technology teacher and very much interested in using these with my students next year.

Thanks!

Dave
Old 06-24-2003, 05:16 PM
e-bird

Take a look at http://www.depronusa.com/ it's still cheap and fun. CU