Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

My first flight!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 07:53 AM
rcav8r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first flight!

Congrats on the first flight.... Wish it was this easy when I started [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Now you'll be looking for the next step...more control. Lite Stick, Tiger Moth, MM DuskStick, etc. It is addictive [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2003, 07:45 PM
BigRagu
My Feedback: (9)

Default My first flight!

It's such a great feeling . . .welcome to RC!

You would do yourself a big favor now and go purchase a GWS Slow Stick ($35.00) . . .fly it stock,
for a week or so, then go get two more Hitec micro servos, some eticky tape, an Expert "Y" cord for your radio and then add the Alierons!

"This is absolutly the most fun you can have with your pants on!!!"

P.S. I bought the 800 ma NMH pack and it was worth the extra $10.00

BigRagu
Old 02-25-2003, 10:18 PM
RockyMtnMarty

Default My first flight!

BigRagu,
I just built the Slow Stick with the 300 power system. I followed the directions, but can't get the CG for anything. It's tail heavy. I can get the CG if I move the wing dang near all the ways to the front. Any clue as to whats going on. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 02-26-2003, 08:03 AM
Bill L

Default My first flight!

MARTY: If the plane is tail heavy, how can moving the wing to the front give you correct balance?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
The balance point, or Center of Gravity is usually in the area between 1/4 way and 1/3 way toward the tail, from the leading edge of the wing. It is hard to move the motor and have it continue to be effective. The batteries are heavy, so can you move them forward to lighten up the tail? If you try to fly tail heavy, it will not fly very far.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:24 AM
RockyMtnMarty

Default My first flight!

As you can tell I've been into boats for a long time, not planes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The leading edge of the wing according to the directions should be in the area of 4 3/4" to 5 1/2" from from the leading edge of the prop. Then measuring from the leading edge of the wing back along the wing spar they say the CG should be in the area of 4 1/8" The directions say move the wing forward or backward to obtain the CG. I automatically thought that if it was tail heavy I should move the wing forward to get more weight forward. I ran out of space. I also moved the batteries along with the wing. Goes against my thought, but will try to move the wing backwards and see if that does it. Thanks for the input.
Marty

P.S. Bill I just read my post over again and it hit me like a brick what you were trying to tell me and what I was doing wrong DUH !! I guess I need to look at it like a pivot point. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Thanks Bill.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:47 AM
Bill L

Default My first flight!

MARTY; I Like your term "Pivot point"[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] When I flew control line planes, they called it "balance Point"[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Well it seldom balanced there, but it sure would pivot back and forth like a see-saw[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] so I would let it be there and they flew well. Good luck, and Happy Flying there in the Rockies[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2003, 05:16 PM
RockyMtnMarty

Default My first flight!

Hi Bill,
Duh....it was operator error. Went home at lunch and it balanced right up. Funny how some of the smallest things trip you up. Thanks for the help.
Marty
Old 03-06-2003, 07:08 AM
Bill L

Default My first flight!

MARTY[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]How is the Stick flying? Post some of your words of wisdom since others are getting interested in the Slow Stick for a first electric plane. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2003, 11:03 PM
RockyMtnMarty

Default My first flight!

I love it. Very predictable with no surprises. After I get some time on it, I'm going to cut out the ailerons and hook them up. I think I picked the right plane to have fun with.....