Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Any experience with the GWS manual retracts?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Any experience with the GWS manual retracts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:38 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any experience with the GWS manual retracts?

I am finishing up a GWS F4U Corsair build and was possibly looking at installing some mechanical retracts. Not wanting to spend gobs of cash I was wondering if anyone has used the GWS ones?
Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 08-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any experience with the GWS manual retracts?

Well at least on mine, even thou I used GP versions, the wing angle is going to give you fits. On mine I used a Hitec 81 servo so I could play with the end adjustments to get the gear to fold up.

But that said, to get the gear to fold up nice and tight you will not get a 90 angle when they are down. Also I had to slightly cant the retracts themselves to get the gear to fold up tight.

You end up with both the legs canted in slightly.

Also on mine to beef up the wing, I laid the wing LE side down on a piece of lite ply and copied the shape on it.
Cut it out smaller and shorter then the actual wing dimentions, sorta looked like a lazy W.

I slit the wing and inserted it right across where the retracts would go. Inserted the "spar" and epoxied it in. This way any landing load is supported by the "spar" instead of the wing.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:00 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any experience with the GWS manual retracts?

I ended up deciding to go simple until I can fly the dang infernal machine. then I will either refit or buy a second one and fix all my n00b build mistakes and install some then. I will say covering it with EconKote really does make one tough plane. I think one could sit on it and it would just about hold up.
I did save your suggestions to notepad and will refer to them when I decide to go that route. TY GG for the great advice! I may hit you up for more in the near future.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!