Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Australian Barbeque and Beers Part V

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Australian Barbeque and Beers Part V

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:55 PM
maiden-crash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Australian Barbeque and Beers Part V

Anyone up for a 40" airframe that costs $330?

http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...ls.php?pid=390
Old 11-18-2008, 12:00 AM
maiden-crash

Andrew, this may be the best time for the plane of your dreams?

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/extra300e.html
Old 11-18-2008, 01:08 AM
Andrew86

ORIGINAL: maiden-crash

Andrew, this may be the best time for the plane of your dreams?

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/extra300e.html
DAMN YOU MC.

EDIT: Thanks a lot for the link though, i'm very tempted. The special doesn't seem to have flowed on to the adchobbystore.com international orders website. Only US customers get the deal
Old 11-18-2008, 01:14 AM
Andrew86

Phwoah that's a bit rich...! I guess you're paying for an extra wing with a tonne of carbon fibre reinforcement.

I bet bleary is still keen as beans
Old 11-18-2008, 01:20 AM
bleary

No I don't think so really,specially as to get it to perform right you will have to have the thrust 40 and the ESC...MC I have held it in my hands and seen it fly as well, but that is too much...same price as the 260 or a bit more then maybe...but 330? No way.
Bleary.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:37 AM
Andrew86

ORIGINAL: bleary

No I don't think so really,specially as to get it to perform right you will have to have the thrust 40 and the ESC...MC I have held it in my hands and seen it fly as well, but that is too much...same price as the 260 or a bit more then maybe...but 330? No way.
Bleary.
How did it look in the air compared to the 260? Was it a crawler like the Gemini or nimble and able to turn on a dime?

I wonder how many units they'll push at that price[X(]
Old 11-18-2008, 02:32 AM
The_Mongrel

ORIGINAL: Woodsy

Hey Mong, how far from Bright are you, or may be i'll just go to Canberra. Now the good weathers upon us i'm itching for a decent ride, was thinking of may be making a model to fit in a box that i can strap to the bike and head off for a weeks ride.

OZboy, hows the Radical stick comming along, may be thats what i should build as a traveler.

Bright??? Where is that mate?

I am about 20kms north west of the ACT Border in Murrumbateman.

I would love to ride... where?? when? How? Why?... umm... don't bother with the why?

Cheers
-J
Old 11-18-2008, 02:35 AM
The_Mongrel

MC - Does that price get you the drive system? Or is that ARF?
Old 11-18-2008, 02:37 AM
EDFjet

Whats been going on everyone?

Ive been working and spending time with the missus so not much time for planes. Waiting for 2 hobby city orders to arrive before i can start flying.

Might be getting married... just kidding

Liam
Old 11-18-2008, 03:07 AM
maiden-crash

John, just the airframe. It is simply the most expensive model, ever, by far, in that size range. Andrew, talk to them I think when they ship overseas they pay for half the shipping. It would still turn out to be a killer deal.

RE The Bipe, I honestly don't think they will sell any at that price and will be forced to lower it. They've more than crossed the line on this one.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:07 AM
ozrcboy

Lightfoot eh - and they say sepos don't get irony...

OZboy, hows the Radical stick comming along, may be thats what i should build as a traveler.
It would be coming along good if only my order from UH had arrived. I emailed them today to ask them to get the parcel chased up with HK Post. Their reply - you need to allow up to three weeks for delivery. It's day 20..., I spose I'll send them an email tomorrow.

Oz.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:23 AM
The_Mongrel

ORIGINAL: ozrcboy

Lightfoot eh - and they say sepos don't get irony...

It would be coming along good if only my order from UH had arrived. I emailed them today to ask them to get the parcel chased up with HK Post. Their reply - you need to allow up to three weeks for delivery. It's day 20..., I spose I'll send them an email tomorrow.

Oz.
Oz - What shipping did you choose? I ALWAYS choose the express delivery. It might cost a bit more, but 6 days door to door makes it worth it!!

Cheers
-J
Old 11-18-2008, 03:26 AM
The_Mongrel

ORIGINAL: EDFjet

Whats been going on everyone?

Ive been working and spending time with the missus so not much time for planes. Waiting for 2 hobby city orders to arrive before i can start flying.

Might be getting married... just kidding

Liam
Hey Mate - Not much flying here... I have been spending FAR too much time in my recording studio to fly.

Married eh... DONT DO IT!! Just kidding... I have been married 10 years and loving it!!

Cheers
-J
Old 11-18-2008, 03:30 AM
clovus

MC,

I suppose there are people who are prepared to pay any price for the best, or to be 'exclusive'. Sure, PA has all the extra carbon bling in the 'fuse, but you could climb up a few sizes with a 3DHS plane like the Velox or Extra SR for that price and still have change left over. Anyways, it's purely academic for me, I reckon it looks like a supersized Addiction with a wing on top to me....

clovus
Old 11-18-2008, 03:33 AM
maiden-crash

You can actually get a 3DH 55" Katana or Yak for that price. Hmm, Id take the 55" over the 40" personally. I can do without the carbon. Don't get me wrong I like the PA birds, but this is silly.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:41 AM
clovus

WRT the moderators:- When you think about it, there has been 4 previous threads of over 200 pages with only a handful of posts removed. That is outstanding effort - when you think that things can get pretty heated, pretty quickly (just hang around RCG long enough!). However, I stand by my comment that we self moderate better when we are left alone - otherwise a bit of negativity creeps in.

I'm being really careful in what I say as I kinda like coming onto RCU better then RCG and don't want to be banned.

I know the big sydney fly -in from the foamie section moved over to RCG and the thread dried up pretty quickly -I think it just got lost in all the 100's of posts about random stuff. On here the Aussie BBQ has been around long enough for us to gain a reputation and a very visible presence for any fellow compatriots looking for help. So to that end I feel a 'presence' on here is a good thing for all of us, if we move to RCG there are whole bunch of people we wouldn't have got to talk to. I look at who is veiwing our thread occasionally and see names of people who never post - hopefully they find what they need and don't need to post. Maybe a few sly PM's here and there might keep our noses clean?

To the Moderator's, I know you have a sometimes difficult task and have to exercise a bit of discretion here and there, but I feel this post, although not strictly RC flying related, is beneficial for everyone on this thread so hope you consider leaving it up. Cheers

Clovus
Old 11-18-2008, 03:59 AM
clovus

Tam,

Sorry mate, I almost forgot to answer your question. It is a Sig manufacturing covering, order code:SIGSGX203 AeroKote Lite Light Gray. I actually like the Sig covering better then the solarlite film as it has a much stickier backing to it so it is easier to get into place. It took a little bit to get used to as it hardly needs any heat to stick and doesn't shrink nearly as much as the solarfilm but if you put too much heat on and I ended up warping the balsa. With the solarfilm I could end up with it a bit 'baggy' and everything would tighten up nicely. The Sig stuff I needed to get it fairly tight from the beginning so pulled on sections to stretch it as I ironed it on -that's where the extra stickiness helped.

clovus
Old 11-18-2008, 04:03 AM
Glue-it-again Ben

ORIGINAL: machette
Onya Ben, good to see someone has their Nasty in one piece ......wondering though, what sort of drive-line are you using in yours? Mine has a DM2215/1150kv with a 10x6 on 3 cells.
ORIGINAL: Budmulla
Ben what motor did you get for your Nasty? And also what size CF tube did you use? I used 5mm stuff but i see that 1/8 is closer to 4mm stuff ... shouldn't make a difference i hope. I haven't measured mine yet but i think it might have been a touch smaller than the plans because of how the plans printed.
I've got one of these lying around: http://www.wattsuprc.com.au/product_...id=EW2213-1000 , so I'll throw that on 3S. Will start with a 1047 prop and see how it goes, and try a 10x7's if it looks like it needs it.

Mine's built from 5mm Cell foam, and I went with 3mm CF. Wing feels a little flexy, but I reckon it'll be fine. Despite advice (sorry MC), I decided to use double thickness for the fuse, and will round off all the leading and trailing edges.

Saw something similar to the nasty flying at my field this weekend just gone, only it was about double the size. It had a Kfm2 wing instead of the flat 'airfoil'. Would love to get one going at about 150% original with a symmetrical kfm4 airfoiled wing like this bad boy: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860561 (It's a close cousin of the Blue Baby)
Old 11-18-2008, 04:27 AM
maiden-crash

Haha Ben it may turn out better, I have no experience with cellfoam. It will certainly get rid of some of the twist and hot glue makes quick repairs, I reckon it may be a better thing you did that. Have fun with it, it takes a Nasty beating.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:35 AM
The_Mongrel

Nicely said Clovus.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:36 AM
Andrew86

John, just the airframe. It is simply the most expensive model, ever, by far, in that size range. Andrew, talk to them I think when they ship overseas they pay for half the shipping. It would still turn out to be a killer deal.

RE The Bipe, I honestly don't think they will sell any at that price and will be forced to lower it. They've more than crossed the line on this one.
They obviously have a pretty solid customer base in the US set up. With the aussie dollar going down the toilet our exports are much cheaper to buy in US dollars. I guess they adjusted up their prices to profit from that - very poor form.

The yanks are probably paying Extra 260 prices for it, which would be reasonable, we just get ripped off unfortunately.

Ah well
Old 11-18-2008, 04:38 AM
Glue-it-again Ben

Thanks mate - really looking forward to getting it in the air. At the moment I'm asking my Super Cub to do things it's just not supposed to [>:] - it'll be great to fly something that's not always so concerned with leveling itself. Of corse the pilot will have to step up a little or it's going to live a short and painful life
Old 11-18-2008, 04:57 AM
clovus

That's the great thing about the NASTY Ben,

You can churn the airframe out pretty quickly and as all the 'bits'; are stuck to the outside it's easy to put it all together. Don't be worried about a bit of flex - it makes it a bit more forgiving and will help teach throttle control.

clovus
Old 11-18-2008, 05:11 AM
maiden-crash

Plenty more fish in the sea I guess Andrew (airplane wise). We're not forced to buy from PA, there are other good manufacturers out there. Not enough Edge's though. I started designing my own for that, lots and lots of carbon, and I get to use a precision CNC machine. Im going to try and have it from drawing to airborne at the end of next year. Ive already put 10 hours into it, very little done however, I haven't even started tinkering with which airfoil to use... 47" range hopefully around 30 ounces.

Ive got a pile of Carbon tubes including 10 and 11mm tubes, gonna get carbon flat plates from PA.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:14 AM
maiden-crash

Ben, your gonna be having so much fun with taht Nasty that I suggest you build a backup, I know I should have. Mine lasted about a month Clovus hooked me up with plans to it, and as a result he got me hooked on 3D. Best feeling ever is doing the very first hovers. Its like the accoplishment of learning to fly again. Thats probably the best way to describe 3D, learning to fly all over again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.