Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Australian Barbeque and Beers Part V

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Australian Barbeque and Beers Part V

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 06:24 AM
tam popo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Australian Barbeque and Beers Part V

Oz and others - that link you wanted for that FLYING site is here http://badiusownersclub.com/forum2/index.php

Zagi is coming alng micely but needs tape taking off and replacing with heavyish Duct tape in places - but looking good and mean!! Alternative to the Slinger.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:02 AM
geoffviper

[quote]ORIGINAL: clovus

Good to finally hear a few flights from ya' Geoff that didn't end in tears! Let's hop the hoodoo is broken never to return. I read in one of the rags that a bank is predicting mid next year the aussie will be at $0.47 US! That's gunna hurt.......

It has finally stopped raining this arvo so I might even get out again tomorrow.

Clovus

l think it will see a dramatic drop around april, May at the latest
they dont usually have an interest rate drop in January
( they go out and party in that month) so if we see one that sort of seals it

lm hoping the barrel of oil gets around 40 and the au dollar sits at 70
ohhh what nice petrol prices we would see, but l dont see that happening

now for the oversee'er
Topic Planes

come on weather make it a nice day ummm tomorrow and Saturday
yeah ok Sunday too

Yak wants to fly
Old 11-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Budmulla

LHS rang me today after i quizzed them on the availability of the Hanger 9 and eflite Pawnee as well as the eflite mini pulse.

Apparently there is no stock of the eflite stuff, and there wont be anymore in the country for six months.
The Hanger 9 40 size pawnee is due in about 2 weeks but theirs been a price hike and will now sell for $459!!!
At the moment they are listed as $239 in some stores.

So i might grab an eflite one from H store before they go.

Bleary i reckon you need a custom build job ... maybe a full fuse or a profile.

I have the perfect thing for you ... the first scratch drawing from the Budmulla Wacked out plane department!
Its based on a random car ...I chose the Datsun 120Y

Maybe you would prefer a design based on a Leyland P76!
The taillight stylings would make great wingtips!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15569.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1079742  
Old 11-27-2008, 07:45 AM
tam popo

Guys....If you ever watch a vid again, make it this one!!! Its of an EZ* over The Lake District (my old stompint ground) - a beauty!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/1953683
Old 11-27-2008, 08:41 AM
bleary

tmc I aint selling,give it up mate.
Bud,now ya talking.I got a bit sidetracked this arvo and didn't decide on anything,but having a look out in the batcave,I don't really need any more profile foamies.Maybe a massive starship enterprise??
UFO even?
Hmnn,looking looking.
Bleary.
Tam,how ya doing mate?
Old 11-27-2008, 04:02 PM
clovus

Heya Boys,

Took the Tiger Moth out after the repairs this morning. A bit peeved actually, I only got 9 minutes of flight before the motor stopped. Luckily I was facing the wind at the time (this thing doesn't turn quickly) and had a bit of height so brought it down safely. Reset the throttle and it was spinning again. I thought it was the LVC but I've got it back on the charger and it's reading 3.9v per cell. I would've expected a longer flight time then that as I'm hardly ever over 1/2 throttle. The culprit must be the battery, it's a 3S 2200mAh generic jobbie, only rated to 15c but I didn't think I would be taxing it too much.

I did manage one nice landing, the ground is so squelchy the plane pretty much stops once the wheels touch down on the grass, but with full elevator rates it touches tail first and then settles on the mains. I'm starting to get a feel for it now, needs lots of rudder to initiate a turn, crank in the ailerons to set the angle and then back off the rudder. Just using ailerons alone takes forever, it seems to slip sideways more then turn. Probably much like the real ones and very different to the GWS Tiger Moth.

clovus
Old 11-27-2008, 04:34 PM
ozrcboy

ORIGINAL: Budmulla

I have the perfect thing for you ... the first scratch drawing from the Budmulla Wacked out plane department!
Its based on a random car ...I chose the Datsun 120Y

Maybe you would prefer a design based on a Leyland P76!
The taillight stylings would make great wingtips!
Go the Dato 120. Friends with Datos would have to be some of the stronger memories from my late adolescence. Myself - I had a VW type III Station Wagon - but I digress.

Bud - John and Paul at Nitrodude say that all prices for imported models have gone up, even when the distributor has them in stock and in country. O'Rielly seems to be the main culprit. The guys at nitrodude ended up having to sell some planes to customers for less than they bought them for, because when O'Rielly shipped them he put a price based on his wholesale buy price based on conversion in today's currency... even though he had already paid for them. In the meantime, they were committed to selling them to customers at their old retail price - not much fun for anyone at the moment.

I'm still trying to trickle feed my lhs - I can only imagine things have gotten tight for them.

Could be lean times for models - might be an opportunity to thin the fleet out with a bit of attrition without replacements. Just wish I had a few more RXs.

cheers,
Oz.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:48 PM
The_Mongrel

OZ - I have heard of that happening before in other industries... where the sale price is based on the current exchange rates. Can be bad if you are on the wrong end of that bargain, but can at times work in your favour.

No Flying for me for the next 3 weekends I will be Sydney.

Cheers
-J
Old 11-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Rowdy_b64

Clovus,
When we gonna see some nice relaxing vid of the Moth ?? Sounds really nice .. would like to see it in the air. Nice report mate.
Cheers
Rowdy
Old 11-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Budmulla

OZ the place that rang me was Monaro, sounds like they will all have the same problems with the import prices.
As for selling the planes for less... that's what i call great customer service!
I really like the crew at Nitrodude, i've got two planes from them so far and lots of bits.
I will always have a affinity with Monaro i used to shop their a lot when they were in Queanbeyan with Terry running the show.... got my first plane from them.
I just wish they had a decent website to shop from and more planes in stock.

With all the price hikes on the way i reckon its time to snap up a few before new stock comes in.

I have to go to Canberra on Sunday, and im keen for a new plane this weekend.
Shame Nitrodude wont be open, might settle for a new RX from toyworld or monaro.

Crap weather today, might try and finish the nasty and have a look at getting the easy fly glider ready for another attempt.

Oh looks like i will be in Canberra for a week from next Thursday, my mum has to go in for a triple bypass.
Will try and catch up with you OZ and Mong for a fly next weekend maybe.... not sure if you guys will still be at Kambah when i hit town this Sunday.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:40 PM
whissel_blowa

It may seem unfair that some of the importers are putting prices up on existing stock, but remember this time of year they are expecting shipments in, usually late November, and they have not paid for these fully, usually only 30%, the rest paid when the container is ready to leave. Putting the prices up now basically means they have enough coming back in on the old stock to replace it at the new much higher buy prices. Its basic economics if a business wants to survive.

For me I adjust the prices each time new stock comes in and I have absorbed a lot of the drop in our dollar, makes it very difficult with some products like batteries but I am determined to keep the prices down as much as possible and use this downturn as a time to promote the ELITE and GP series packs as even beter value for money than they were. What I am saying is every business has its own idea when it comes to this sort of thing, I suppose the bigger importers will just bump prices knowing people will still buy the products due to little option in many cases.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:13 PM
tam popo

Bleary - doing Ok pal, usual weather problems, but plenty of building to do. Medically Ok as well, pockets just been sewn up by wifey etc etc. But new 'gear' (FLYCOne2????) on way, and a few 200W motors etc. Thanks for asking pal!!!
Old 11-28-2008, 01:54 AM
clovus

Rowdy,

Poor quality vid of the maiden flight....

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=f4RXy-FNgU0

The camera seemed to hunt around for focus and then chewed the tape, just to finish it off. I'm surprised we saved anything really.

Mark,

From my dealings with you I got the feeling you are in it for the love of the hobby, not to make a mint.

Guys, don't begrudge the LHS trying to make a buck, they all got rent to pay, kids to feed, a mortgage.... One of our LHS's just closed down. I used to buy bits'n'pieces there but was saving for a big splurge next year. Shame I didn't go in sooner aqnd give them a bit more support.

clovus

Oh, yeah went back over your site last nite.... dreaming of some of those sweet EDF's. looks like we are spoilt for choice.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:17 AM
geoffviper

Clovus thats a nice slow bird

well done
just a question

it's not a tad tail heavy is it
just looks a little

ok good news the spitty is on the way

well done HC your forgiven

l guess lm easily pleased

Old 11-28-2008, 02:27 AM
Andrew86

ORIGINAL: clovus
Guys, don't begrudge the LHS trying to make a buck, they all got rent to pay, kids to feed, a mortgage.... One of our LHS's just closed down. I used to buy bits'n'pieces there but was saving for a big splurge next year. Shame I didn't go in sooner aqnd give them a bit more support.
I know it's not always the case and bad things do sometimes happen to good stores; but too many hobby shops fail to recognise the importance of customer relationships. I could name 3 or 4 hobby shops in Perth that I would never consider going to if I didn't have a specific need for an item in their store. The condescending, unwelcoming vibe that some of these places force upon their customers is quite remarkable.

I'm not naming names here but my favourite LHS is more than happy for customers to come in for a chat and a browse, they enjoy talking about new products and experiences and if you don't buy anything they won't release the hounds. Granted they don't always have time for newbies or people who are too lazy to do a little research but overall they're a great mob. For that reason, I often end up going to the shop for a leisurely browse and end up impulse purchasing a new part/toy.

Regardless of how much disposable income I have or how the economy is doing I'll make fortnightly trips to the LHS for a look around because I enjoy doing so. It quite often does result in an unintentional purchase

Maybe a few more of these stores could be doing a little better if they were a little more approachable and friendly? Especially now that the import market has dried up for the average consumer. I haven't been to every LHS in oz so I'm only speaking from experience.

cheers
Old 11-28-2008, 03:17 AM
Glue-it-again Ben

Did you decide on a foamy yet Bleary? What size sheets did you get?

Have enlarged my Nasty Plans to somewhere around 140%, and I don't think I'll be able to fit it in the car! Actually maybe in the boot with the rear seats down, but that would require taking both kids seats out. Hmmm...

Could always just hover it in our 5m x 8m front yard

There is always the cemetary over the road too - plenty of airspace there, but the landing zone is full of lumps of marble and concrete

Had to jump the fence one night about 11pm and hunt around for my little X-Twin that crash landed in there. Just as I was about to jump the fence to get in there my wife said... "Don't worry about all the dead people" Jeez that gave me the willies!
Old 11-28-2008, 03:38 AM
maiden-crash

Hey boys. Got my Extra earlier today. Its one ompressive model, it really takes some getting used to a model this size. Its got a really nice scheme and is easily the most impressive model Ive had yet and definately the best looker (lets face it Ive had some ugmo planes.) Ill post pics soon. Couple ours of building+ setting up is all thats left.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:50 AM
downunderdog

ORIGINAL: The_Mongrel

No Flying for me for the next 3 weekends I will be Sydney.

Cheers
-J
If you're in town the 13th of December, Hstore is hosting an indoor fly at Sutherland Basketball Stadium - down in "the Shire", I guess. I'm always afraid that I'm going to run into Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin when I go down there and call it that.

http://www.hstore.com.au/

Speaking of "friendly hobby stores" that are happy to talk about the latest thing, every time I've gone into Hstore they have been great. And, I've ended up breaking out my credit card because I found something that I didn't know I needed but realized I did. Last time I went in for 2 sheets of depron and walked out with that plus the multiplex fox glider... and now I need to go back down there this weekend to get more parts to make it a biplane. They are very helpful and friendly there, though. Mongrel, if you do go down to "the Shire" while you're in Sydney then it's definitely worth a stop "just to see what they have".
Old 11-28-2008, 06:11 AM
clovus

ORIGINAL: geoffviper

well done
just a question

just looks a little

After watching the video I thought so too. The second flight I moved the battery pack forwards, helped smooth the flight characteristics a bit more so I suspect it was a touch tail heavy. After flying so much 3D I've become used to unpredictable flight with rearwards CoG, but it didn't fix the tail down posture much. I'm beginning to suspect it's the wing incidence.

Pulled out the Fokker DR1. Man I'm gunna enjoy building this thing. Great Planes have done most of it for me. I still can't help dreaming of having a bigger one, maybe just a little bit too daunting to scratch build.

clovus
Old 11-28-2008, 07:13 AM
geoffviper

Rowdy

Ya heading to PP this weekend ?

if so see you there

will have the YAK

Old 11-28-2008, 04:44 PM
The_Mongrel

ORIGINAL: Andrew86

I know it's not always the case and bad things do sometimes happen to good stores; but too many hobby shops fail to recognise the importance of customer relationships. I could name 3 or 4 hobby shops in Perth that I would never consider going to if I didn't have a specific need for an item in their store. The condescending, unwelcoming vibe that some of these places force upon their customers is quite remarkable.

I'm not naming names here but my favourite LHS is more than happy for customers to come in for a chat and a browse, they enjoy talking about new products and experiences and if you don't buy anything they won't release the hounds. Granted they don't always have time for newbies or people who are too lazy to do a little research but overall they're a great mob. For that reason, I often end up going to the shop for a leisurely browse and end up impulse purchasing a new part/toy.

Regardless of how much disposable income I have or how the economy is doing I'll make fortnightly trips to the LHS for a look around because I enjoy doing so. It quite often does result in an unintentional purchase

Maybe a few more of these stores could be doing a little better if they were a little more approachable and friendly? Especially now that the import market has dried up for the average consumer. I haven't been to every LHS in oz so I'm only speaking from experience.

cheers

I think you are spot on the money mate! Having been a shop owner in the past (not in RC) I know both sides of the fence. There is an LHS that I simply will not walk into because I, and a mate, were made to feel like idiots. They even went as far as not to serve us because my mate had bought his Truggie off Ebay. He wanted a glow plug kit and a starter pack for his new purchase, and they just refused to deal with him and used excuses like - "We don't want to be seen to be responsible in any way when the thing breaks, and it WILL break"

Can you believe that crap!!!

They should have nurtured that moment, as just recently he went to a competing LHS (who did look after him) and upgraded to some massive 1/5th scale machine.

Some just don't get it! But thankfully some do. I support the ones that do, and as for that other store.... they will never see the colour of my money.

Cheers
-J

Old 11-28-2008, 06:12 PM
reuben199

ORIGINAL: clovus

ORIGINAL: geoffviper

well done
just a question

just looks a little

After watching the video I thought so too. The second flight I moved the battery pack forwards, helped smooth the flight characteristics a bit more so I suspect it was a touch tail heavy. After flying so much 3D I've become used to unpredictable flight with rearwards CoG, but it didn't fix the tail down posture much. I'm beginning to suspect it's the wing incidence.

Pulled out the Fokker DR1. Man I'm gunna enjoy building this thing. Great Planes have done most of it for me. I still can't help dreaming of having a bigger one, maybe just a little bit too daunting to scratch build.

clovus
Hey Clovus,
I've just ordered the Greatplanes Fokker DVII, the bi-plane, everything I've read on these WW1 planes sounds good, other than nosing over when landing Let me know how you get on and what motor you use? I'm proberly not going to use their suggested motor (rim fire) there is a thread on rcgroups that explains how to make your own motor mount as it comes with an odd ball 3 screw set up for the motor rather than your normal 4 screw mount? I hope that makes sense.

I maidened my e-flite SE5A biplane last night and it was cool, I used a bigger motor and ended up on 1/4 throttle most of the time ot it would try to hover..... not a good look for a WW1 biplane looking forward to the fokker tho, and it was only $160 NZD delivered
Cheers Reuben
Old 11-28-2008, 06:21 PM
reuben199

ORIGINAL: tmc_2

I am still desperate on a Strykre bare fuse or replacement airframe, will consider used strykers.
Please PM me . will pay good money for it

Hey tmc_2,
Here is a link to a stryker thats here in NZ, great shop to deal with, not sure what postage/shipping would be....
Cheers Reuben

http://www.wattsup.co.nz/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1410
Old 11-28-2008, 06:38 PM
tam popo

Gentlemen...thats me been censored again on a FLYING site...reason: posting something about another Forum - I can't even remember what the **** post was!!!!! Not been FLYING today as its too windy..Gawd has censored FLYING here as well!!!
Old 11-28-2008, 06:42 PM
tam popo

Clovus - I don't know if this is any help with the wing incidence and geometry of your Bigger Moth, but here's some piccies of my new Pico TMoth. Take note of the angle of the top wing and the angle from above - hope it might help Buddy!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.