Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

How to find Flying Buddies near you.

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

How to find Flying Buddies near you.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:12 PM
FirebirdCdr2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to find Flying Buddies near you.

Hey guys,

I just finished painting one of my Super Cubs. I gave a Navy paint job. Check it out. It's in my gallery.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:34 PM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

Looks real nice!
What type of paint did you use on it? Where did you get the decals?
I'm waiting on some folded (polyhedral) wings for my AB...I've read it is easier to fly the AB with the folded wings...
I just need to verify my CG and do some glide testing and I should be ready.
Looks like Sun., Mon., Tues for my maiden....!
Bob
Old 02-05-2009, 05:35 PM
FirebirdCdr2

Hey Bob,

Thanks man, I used a hobby spray paint called testor (Competition Orange and Black Paint). I got the decals from HorizonHobby.com. The decals are from the ParkZone T-28 Trojan, their pretty much the same decals used on the T-34 Mentor. The T-28 replaced the T-34 in the Navy. I hope you get your maiden flight on one of those days.

Firebird
Old 02-05-2009, 07:58 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Check out our field in Scotland County, in North Carolina.
Everyone is welcome.

http://www.freewebs.com/scrcflyers

Old 02-06-2009, 10:48 AM
tam popo

JMir - its a pity that club is in Scotland County (not country) or I would be there in a flash!!!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 02:33 PM
hookemut
My Feedback: (3)

Greetings,
After 58 years of gas/glow powered RC (yep-Ace single-channel plus rubber band escapement in Rudder Bug) now living with back stenosis requires down sizing. So decided to try electrics-very different propulsion in very familiar aerodynamic platforms. but-where to fly small electrics locally? Model field has super abundance of gassers, many quite large ( 30# and 55cc engines).

Old 02-06-2009, 02:51 PM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Hookemut, I fly out of my local Parks and Recreation Parks. I have one park that is set up for soccer and has 6 fields side by side. I never fly when the soccer leagues are playing/practicing. I try and fly responsibly and not buzz or terrorize anyone. I also check the posted signs for the parks and make sure it doesn't specifically prohibit model airplanes. I also hanfg out at the LHS and see who comes in and is involved with electrics. Sometimes there will be a bulletin board in the shop and guys will post their carrds with contact info. Electrics seem to be on the rise everywhere and a lot of guys are flying. Keep looking and don't give up you will find some like minded folks to fly and socialize with.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:42 AM
DWagner

Hi all,

Orange County, CA Flying Buddies Wanted
Old 02-08-2009, 08:24 AM
tam popo

Hookamut - sorry to hear about your ondition. I am slightly diabled o fly leccy totally, less distance to walk and pick up bits!!!! I even made a gadget to put my walking stick in when flying!!! As always, take care not to injure etc, but dogs are 10 points if hit head-on.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:23 PM
FirebirdCdr2

AB Bob,

I took my newly painted Super Cub out for a Maiden flight today and it looks very good flying in the Sky. I had a very goodtime today flying. I may paint my other Cub now, Not sure yet.

Firebird
Old 02-09-2009, 09:52 PM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

I bet it did look good in the air! That's a neat color scheme.
I took my AB out today, and she FLIES! ...it also crashes [sm=disappointed.gif]
Anyway, I had a great time. I already have it taped up....ready for more!
I need lots more practice...
AB Bob
Old 02-09-2009, 10:38 PM
FirebirdCdr2

Yeah, I know what you mean when i first started out with my Super Cub, I was crashing everywhere. I taped her back up and when back out there put her up in the air again. Today, my SC look very good in the sky my Germanshepherd was running around after it. I'm pretty sure you did not do a bad job of flying, I'm sure you did better than you think.
Firebird
Old 02-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Talent5

Hey All,

Looking for flying buddies in New York City. Will go to the other boroughs and/or upstate no more than an hour.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:17 PM
crazychris46dividedby2

talent 5 your probably the closest person to me ive seen post here. i live about an hour north of albany. im still considering joining a club and hopefully able to meet some flying folks in this neck of the woods. im sure there are pilots around as the local hobby shop sells out of slo-v's and supercubs like crazy. im in there about 2 times a week and one day there there and the next there gone. would be nice if they posted on these forums. would make it easy to find fliers. im also gonna go introduce myself to the guys at the nitro filed and see if i can fly my electric there. they have some massive planes.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Talent5

Well Crazy Chris,

I own and have built a number of planes. I currently fly nothing but electrics. My favorite planes in my fleet is Phase 3 EDF-16, Phase 3 Fantom & T-28 Trojan. I will keep trying to find more flyers or just begin getting more people involved in our hobby.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:46 PM
FirebirdCdr2

I actually now have a buddy on here that lives near me, and maybe soon we will fly planes.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:34 AM
crazychris46dividedby2

id like to have some buddies to hit the skies with. it would be great to get some ariel dog fighting footage. i had a friend that was also a pilot but turned out to be 2 faced so we no longer speak. but hopefully in the future i meet some folks that i coud do some dog fights with. also just curious as to what you guys would suggest to a new 4 channel pilot as far as a ducted jet for me to move onto. ive always been more of a jet fan rather than warbirds but i do love my trojan. so any suggestions for a 3 or 4 channel rtf jet i could get for under 300? thanks, chris
Old 02-15-2009, 10:18 PM
FirebirdCdr2

Now that is bad that person was two faced. Well i hope you find someone to fly with. Um, I'm too sure about the ducted Jets yet, but i have been looking at some interesting Ducted RTF Jets. On one site Called NitroPlanes.com, They have a Starmax F-4E Phantom 4ch Jet RTF Ducted includes everything for $169.95, and it also says in the description that is easy for beginners to learn on. Here is another site have been looking at also Called BananaHobby.com, They have a 4ch F-35 Lightning II Jet RTF EDF and it is only 159.90, and they also give a video review and flight demonstration on the jet. To find that jet look in the Electric Fighter RC Jet Section click on the picture and the video is at the bottom under all the pictures. I hope you find the Jet you wanna fly.

Firebird
Old 02-17-2009, 04:56 AM
crazychris46dividedby2

i checked out the f-35 lightning, looks like its right up my runway, lol. is anyone here flying this jet? just curious to hear different opinions about it. chris
Old 02-19-2009, 09:12 PM
FirebirdCdr2

I'm going to put up a thread and see if someone has flown the f-35 Lightning, cause the more i see it, the more I become interested in it. It looks just like the real thing which i've seen on display at air shows and few other places while i was active duty. I searched threads to see if there were others who have flown this plane and there was only one thread, but this guy was build his from ground up and it was 1:6 scale I believe.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51732.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	1140030  
Old 02-20-2009, 04:34 AM
crazychris46dividedby2

yeah it does have a nice scale look to it. the 2 selling points for me are the price and the fact that it can be flown fairly slowly if wanted. i could order it this weekend but i am waiting to hear some input on it.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:44 PM
bhoges17

I live in Eastern Nassau County NY. Anyone close by? I have 3 park flyers. (Corsair/Yardbird F22/F18) Talent 5 being from the city where do you fly? I have a school right by my house thats been great.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:09 PM
jdr43

A few of us fly electric in Bella Vista Arkansas, up in the Highlands area.

Jim R
Old 02-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Talent5

ORIGINAL: bhoges17

I live in Eastern Nassau County NY. Anyone close by? I have 3 park flyers. (Corsair/Yardbird F22/F18) Talent 5 being from the city where do you fly? I have a school right by my house thats been great.
I fly in the middle of Central Park (right at the big opening alot of youtube video show how big it is from aerial shots). We should me up one day and see what these birds can do ! I just completed building a Flyzone Piper Cub with a Brushless 380 motor and she is about one of my fastest planes. She can go vertical ! By the way what kind of charger you use ?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:13 AM
FirebirdCdr2

Hey CrazyChris,

A guy in the thread i created told me that it flies something like the stryker. He went on to say that it also a lot faster, and it's a little touchy. Its low speed handling is a little strange. But he says he likes the jet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.