Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

parkflyers 4 channel Decathlon question

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

parkflyers 4 channel Decathlon question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Walter Nowotny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parkflyers 4 channel Decathlon question

Has anyone had any luck with the Parkflyers Decathlon? I have one and it is very difficult to keep it in the air. The plane is lacking power big time, and it handles like my parents 1976 Oldsmobile. You can forget flying it unless you have a decent wind to launch it in. Once it is up it flies just OK, not the stunt machine the box promises. I bought an extra motor and have had the same results, so I know my first motor was not a defect. It's a real nice looking plane, but I want to do more than look at it! If anyone out there has one or has a solution (besides gasoline and a match) please let me know-Thanks!
Old 04-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Sinai

Default RE: parkflyers 4 channel Decathlon question

Did you mean the Parkzone? The red one? That's the one that comes to mind if it flies like a de-CRAP-a lon. I have one of those.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83690.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1189908  
Old 04-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Walter Nowotny

No, this is the parkflyers yellow one w/black shooting stars.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40390.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1189909  
Old 04-30-2009, 10:51 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Looking at the details for your plane, I suspect that this is actually a re-branded Art-Tech model (I think almost all the Parkflyers planes are Art-Tech). There is other info out there from people saying that their Art-Tech Decathlons were underpowered, so perhaps yours is too. There is an option to use a 2S lipo battery, which would probably help a lot by reducing weight. If you want to try further with this plane I would recommend carefully measuring the battery compartment, then going to Hobbycity.com and finding an appropriate lipo to fit it (it should cost about $8 rather than the $35 that Parkflyers wants for the same thing.) You could also try a 3S pack of the correct dimensions.

I have had two planes from Parkflyers. The first was Edge 540T, which was pretty awful and hard to control. After a while I realized that the batteries supplied with it were HOPELESS, making each flight a risky venture likely to end with reduced power and an unexpected "landing". The other one is a GeeBee, which is much better, and does what it is supposed to. Hope this helps!
Old 05-03-2009, 11:53 PM
HEMICUDA

Also the Parkflyers Decathalon comes with a Speed 480 brushed motor. If a lipo doesn't
wake it up enough, go with a brushless upgrade.

Hemicuda
Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Walter Nowotny

I finally got in touch with the guy at Park Flyers and he has the hotter hi-mag motor in stock, so I ordered it. I will try this out with the stock battery first, then probably go to the LiPo as you guys suggested. He assured me that this will wake up the plane. I spoke with another guy in the area that has the exact plane, and the exact lack of power, so I will pass along the help you guys have given me. Thanks for everyone's response to my problem. I will keep everyone posted on the results.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:26 AM
HEMICUDA

Walt,
make sure the "hopped up motor" isn't just a bigger or different brand of brushed motor.
My Park Flyers Aerobat came with a bell type Brushless motor, looks just like a tower pro,
maybe he'll send you one of those. Good luck, keep us posted.

Hemicuda
Old 06-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Walter Nowotny

Hey guys, I did not forget about you. I got the motor from Park flyers, it is not a brush-less, its another can with some monster magnets in it. Ihave not had a chance to fly it yet. It has been windy here in central Illinois for the last Month. Iwas amused to see the fine review of this plane on page 74 of the August 2009 FLYRC magazine. There were no mention of it's lack of power and performance. It's bad enough I live in a state where our Govenor's will be making our license plates, but I would expect some honesty form a RC publication. I have contacted two other guys who have the same plane, one has already given up on it. Once the weather settles down I will make anothe attempt and keep you posted. Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:30 PM
olwarbirds
My Feedback: (3)

Ive upgraded my decathlon to that setup..will have the upgrade review posted soon...trust me it makes a really big difference...enjoy DJ
Old 07-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Walter Nowotny

Well its July 3rd and I still have not had a chance to fly it yet, looking forward to your post. I went and bought a 7 channel radio and the manual is like a phone book. I will get this thing in the air someday!!
Old 07-04-2009, 06:15 AM
olwarbirds

Walter, what radio system did ya get?....the motor Marc sent ya is a 480 hi-mag neodynium...its actually stronger than alot of brushless motors r and i get like 20 minute flight times on my setup...i have the same setup in my parkflyers cessna pro too.....
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8854476/tm.htm i should have the decathlon upgrade review done in the next day or so...If i can help u in anyway Walter pls feel free to ask....DJ
Old 07-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Walter Nowotny

I bought a spektrum DX
Old 07-04-2009, 09:31 PM
olwarbirds

Walter thats a good radio i use a dx6i for my parkflyers and electric helis....its easy to setup the decathlon on it...DJ