Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Need suitable powerful cheap/small motor !

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Need suitable powerful cheap/small motor !

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:13 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need suitable powerful cheap/small motor !

HI

I fly this cessna with 7 cell 8.4v 1000 Mah Nimh ( or a 8 cell too). I havent changed anything in the plane , just flew out of box.
Now I got B&D VPX a123 1100 mah cells for it, planning to fly with 3 or 4 cell a123 pack.

http://www.parkflyers.com/html/cessna_182.html

Can someone suggest a suitable powerful cheap/small motor for this ? This plane lacks power(with its 480 motor) and I wanna replace with a small outrunner from UH or somewhere cheap!
If so also suggest an ESC (current esc is Parkflyers 50 Amp esc)

Pls suggest !!!
Tks...747
Old 10-03-2008, 08:15 AM
MarkJ48

Default RE: Need suitable powerful cheap/small motor !

Check www.headsuprc.com. They have a large selection of brushless motors at good prices. Shipping is fast and only $2.00 flat rate.

Mark
Old 10-03-2008, 04:22 PM

Thanks for headsupRC.

But what motor , esc (with bec) will you guys suggest so that I get the power I need to fly- with the 3s or 4sa123 1100mah which is ~ 10 to 14v?

Old 10-04-2008, 08:39 AM
tam popo

747 - Try doing a search for that Cessna, I think there is a dedicated thread for something just like it or similar, and you'll get all the advice you need. I really wouldn't think about 4S Lipo's, stick with 3S at the most - have you the charger for 4 cell?? If not stick with 3 cell packs.
The motor you pick depends on the mounting of the 480 (brushed?)....you might have to fabricate a mount for the firewall/bulkhead - if you can get pictures n here it will help the guys give you advice. I'll try and find the thread and put it here if I find it.

Good luck pal....
Old 10-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Dr Kiwi

ORIGINAL: 747

Thanks for headsupRC.

But what motor , esc (with bec) will you guys suggest so that I get the power I need to fly- with the 3s or 4sa123 1100mah which is ~ 10 to 14v?

At 21oz AUW you could use 130W to be at 100W/lb (or a bit more if you wish). I can't find out what size prop the stock 480 takes but I assume 7"-8". You want to spin about an 8x4 at about 13-14A on 3s to get your 130W-150W total. A 70g Suppo 2217K-7T (1250Kv) would do that well: 8x4 GWS HD: 10.8v, 13.90A, 150W, 12210rpm, 46.3mph, 826g, 29.09oz, 5.51g/W. [a 9x5 GWS HD is also possible on that motor - 41oz @ 50mph from 22.30A/237W]. Try Dave at www.lightflightrc.com - he has that combo motor + 20A ESC for <$35!
Old 10-05-2008, 05:55 PM

ORIGINAL: tam popo

747 - Try doing a search for that Cessna, I think there is a dedicated thread for something just like it or similar, and you'll get all the advice you need. I really wouldn't think about 4S Lipo's, stick with 3S at the most - have you the charger for 4 cell?? If not stick with 3 cell packs.
The motor you pick depends on the mounting of the 480 (brushed?)....you might have to fabricate a mount for the firewall/bulkhead - if you can get pictures n here it will help the guys give you advice. I'll try and find the thread and put it here if I find it.

Good luck pal....

HI
It is a brushed 480 , pls see pic. I removed the 2 curved plastic mount hinges that grip the motor (by screws on side). Now Am I better off making my own wood /pvc mount and replace with a outrunner or shall I get a same physical size brushed( current one is 29 mm dia).. but with more than 480 power?

Also the prop shaft/nut is tightly fit with the motor's shaft. I havent seen this type. Not sure how to remove this.
Pls see pic attached and advice how to loosen the shaft and seperate the motor from its plastic mount ...as I pulled it up but it wouldnt "pop". I am afraid I might break something if its CA'ed?!

Pls advice...!
Tks !!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43281.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1046538  
Old 10-09-2008, 04:05 PM

Can anyone suggest the best suited Brushless - outrunner for this?
I am changing the battery to 3 cell a123 which is 1100mah and approx:10.2v

If I do go for a Brushless - outrunner , do I need a new ESC for Brushless?

Pls suggest!! TIA!
Old 10-10-2008, 06:40 AM
Leo L

Hi 747,

There was a lot of discussion regarding your Cessna about 3-4 years ago. The plane is made by Artech and is sold in the USA by Parkflyers. There were very few people who were lukewarm about the plane: you either loved it or hated it. I don't know if it had to do with quality control or what, but there were numerous people whose Cessna just wouldn't fly. I was one of them. I spent numerous hours and over $200 in various parts trying to get it to fly decently. Eventually I set it up with a brushless/LiPo combo and got it to fly, but the front landing gear always gave me problems (I fly from dirt of short grass), so after a couple of flights I trashed the plane. I'm glad that you are one of the people who got his stock plane to fly.

I bought my brushless from Heads-up-RC. I contacted Jeff and told him the type of plane that I was going to use, indicating the size and weight. He sent me a motor and ESC based on his experience. For a prop, I bought one the same size and pitch as the original from Arttech, but I got one with a larger center hole to mount on the collet for the motor. I used a 1200mah 3 cell, but if I was doing it today, I would go with an 1800mah battery. The motor comes with a mounting plate. If I recall correctly I used long thin screws to attach the motor to the existing firewall. I cut four lengths of plastic tubing as spacers over the screws to move the motor to the needed distance from the firewall. I used some washers to achieve the needed down and side off-set. Before you begin any of the modifications, with the plane set up as you currently fly it, including your flight battery, carefully mark the CG and the motor offset.