Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Setting Up My First Park Flyer

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Setting Up My First Park Flyer

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 01:54 AM
ravin
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting Up My First Park Flyer

Help ! I'm building a "House of Balsa " Acro Cub. The kit laser cut parts builds great ! It is the vision with ailerons/ rudder/ elevator and throttle.

35 in wing / wing loading @ 12.6 oz/sq/ft

Don't know how it should be set up for motor size/ gear box and esv. This is my first electric so back ground is limited.

You can e-mail direct
[email protected]

Thanks, John
Old 05-27-2003, 11:15 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default Acro Cub

Hi ravin - I posted some suggestions about power plants etc for the House of Balsa Micro/ Acro/ Cub in another forum - so here it for you.

If you don't want to go the brushless route, I think that a Speed 300 with a 5:1 MP Jet gearbox and an 8x6 would work well.
The problem with the Acro Cub is that, though it is light (only 14oz with the Astro 010), it has a small wing area, and thus high wing loading (12.6oz/sq.ft will require it to fly far faster than typical 5-6oz/sq.ft Slow Flyers). To keep the weight manageable you are going to need a very light motor (yes, the Astro 010 weighs only 2oz complete, but that's $125!). I don't think it will carry a Speed 400 or 400 cobalt well (100+g), but a Speed 300 with 5:1 and 8x6 will give you as much as 13oz thrust on 8amps and weighs only about 70g (2.46oz) - and at $25 for the motor/gearbox and $35 for a Castle Creations Pixie 20 ESC (THE BEST you can get) you're home [relatively] free.
NiCds do charge faster in the field but they also weigh more - so its a trade off (which you will have to weigh up - sorry about that!). With NiCd I'd say you are limited to 7-8 cell 350's, but with NiMH you could go to 8-cell 720's. You could leap into Li-poly for dramatic decrease in weight and increase in mAh and flight time, since they could cope with the 6-8amp draw you'll need with the Speed 300.

Now that's my NZ2 cents-worth - I will be keen to read all the critical comments from the far more intelligent and informed out there!

Cheers, Phil
Old 05-27-2003, 11:43 PM
Mike Taylor
My Feedback: (1)

Default Setting Up My First Park Flyer

I built the old (flat bottomed wing) e-cub. Yours is the same size, but with a faster wing. I used the recommend AF 010 DD. At full throttle, it hauled buns. However, it you are willing to pull the stick back a bit and run at reduced throttle, it flew really well. It landed pretty good for a lightly built all balsa plane, but grass fields are a problem.

The only real problem was that it was so light and the batteries were so heavy. Now I know to bite the bullet and go with LiPolys. You can easily save a couple of ounces over nicads. Two 1020 Lipolys are plenty of poop, 3 will make it scream, and either way, you are looking a a half hour of flying...